GDT: NFL: Super Bowl LI - PATRIOTS vs Falcons 6:30 PM FOX, CTV, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
Well it's the Pats in the Super Bowl, so we know it's going to be a one possession game. The Falcons offense is really impressive. I thought I would be happier seeing Green Bay eliminated.

It'll be interesting to see what Bill comes up with to slow them down.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Rams on paper were the better team in 2001. Same with the Pats in 2007.

Speaking of the 01-02 Rams, is this Falcons offense the best the Pats will have faced since then? Or one of Peyton's teams?

I spent the last week saying we're not gonna lose a shootout and the Steelers game won't be close. But if there is a team that can win a shootout with Brady and the Pats, it's Atlanta. Not sure who I think will win.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DAN SHAUGHNESSY
For this Super Bowl, history and revenge are on tap

FOXBOROUGH — History. And revenge.

The Patriots trumped the Pittsburgh Steelers, 36-17, in the AFC Championship game Sunday night to advance to Super Bowl LI against the Atlanta Falcons in Houston Feb. 5. New England becomes the first NFL franchise to make it to nine Super Bowls, and Bill Belichick and Tom Brady have a chance to become the first coach and quarterback to win five.

But this New England matchup with Matt Ryan and the Falcons is much more than a shot at ring records and grid immortality.

Above all else, it will be a showdown with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Patriots-Falcons is going to be New England’s Super Bowl In Context, an opportunity to make Goodell swallow his shield and present Bob Kraft, Belichick, and Brady with their fifth Lombardi Trophy just a few months after Brady dropped his court appeals and served his heinous four-game suspension.

“All of you in the stadium understand how big this win was,’’ Kraft said when it was over. “But we have to go to Houston and win one more.’’ Brady added, “We’ll see if we can write the perfect ending in a couple of weeks.’’

There’s nothing subtle about any of it. Goodell would not come to Foxborough after he dropped the Deflategate hammer on the Patriots. We have not seen him in two full years. But the commissioner won’t be able to avoid the fury of Kraft, Belichick, and Brady in Houston, where the Patriots are 3-point favorites to win their fifth Super Bowl of this century.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Does a win in 2 weeks seal the deal concerning GOAT? Even though you could argue that SB-appearances also matter and Brady is probably not done for several years playing at a high level.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.wcvb.com/article/airline-adding-new-flights-from-new-england-to-super-bowl/8628611

JetBlue announced just minutes after the Patriots clinched their spot in Super Bowl 51 that the company would add special flights for football fans headed to Houston, Texas.

The company is adding special nonstop flights from Providence's T.F. Green Airport and Houston's Hobby Airport.

The airline said it's also adding flights to Houston from Boston Logan Airport.

The flights will depart for Houston on Friday, February 3 and return to New England Monday, February 6.

Prices are expensive. A quick search Sunday night showed round-trip flights from T.F. Green Airport priced at $1,172 and individual flights between Logan Airport and Houston over $900 each way.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Atlanta's offense is great, but not like they showed today. The Packers defense is complete and total trash and Seattle was playing pretty inconsistent football all season long. I saw that the Falcons had, what, one punt? I cannot even bring myself imagining them doing that to the Pats defense.

I'm not scared of high powered offensive teams. I'd have preferred to play GB in the SB because of that defense, but I'll be honest Atlanta doesn't scare me. Maybe I'll regret that in 2 weeks but idk

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I'm not scared of high powered offensive teams. I'd have preferred to play GB in the SB because of that defense, but I'll be honest Atlanta doesn't scare me. Maybe I'll regret that in 2 weeks but idk

Packers would have shown that they can win tough road games against #1 and #2 seeds in Dallas and Atlanta. So I wouldn't have felt comfortable facing them and Rodgers who has already win the trophy.
I am rather taking my chances with the unproven Falcons-squad, even though they looked unstoppable today. But so did the Panthers one year ago...

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Packers would have shown that they can win tough road games against #1 and #2 seeds in Dallas and Atlanta. So I wouldn't have felt comfortable facing them and Rodgers who has already win the trophy.
I am rather taking my chances with the unproven Falcons-squad, even though they looked unstoppable today. But so did the Panthers one year ago...

Surprised Rodgers couldn't exploit Atlanta's D. Fifth worst in passing yards allowed per game with 266.7 (Pittsburgh had 242.6, but allowed 7 yards per play to Atlanta's 6.9). Falcons have some weapons (more than Green Bay), but so do the Pats, and all we heard about before this game was the Killer B's. Oh, and the NFC game seems closer than it was. Would be sweet to capitalise on Ryan saving a pick or two for the big game.

Neither team will have homefield advantage either, and we have much more experience and better coaching. As long as we don't make too many stupid mistakes early, I'm liking our chances as the game wears on. Should be a great game.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
For someone like myself who has followed the ragtag 'Sons of Billy Sullivan' from BU Field to Fenway Park to Boston College, Harvard Stadium and finally Foxborough it staggers my mind that in 2 weeks they will play in their NINTH Super Bowl which is more than any other NFL team.

16142378_10210924374998086_752087971366808830_n.jpg

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

The only team that would scare me in the Super Bowl got eliminated two weeks ago. No doubt in my mind Brady would have done to GBs defense what Ryan did. ****, he just did it to Pittsburgh's D, which isn't good either but is better than GBs which was trash before all the injuries, even.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My friends wouldn't it be awesome seeing Roger Goodell handing that trophy to Tom Brady.. Oh my goodness...

It will be one of the most enjoyable moments of my life.

Already hearing Goodell has something up his sleeve to prevent that moment from happening. It involves someone who used to own a USFL team. :rant:

MOD ALERT - WE DON'T ALLOW POLITICS BUT THAT IS PURE GENIUS BY THE NFL PR PEOPLE.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
LETS ****ING GOOOOOOOOOOO! I literally tried everything under the sun to get out of work today so I could catch the game but failed, Bob and Zo are always a great listen so i had to deal with that while trying to get any meaningful work done :laugh: What A Game. Total domination by the defence. Gave the Steelers no chance other than when they put the cue in the rack late in the game. Atlanta dont scare me, but Green Bay did, lets ****ing go. Destiny awaits!

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Already hearing Goodell has something up his sleeve to prevent that moment from happening. It involves someone who used to own a USFL team. :rant:

MOD ALERT - WE DON'T ALLOW POLITICS BUT THAT IS PURE GENIUS BY THE NFL PR PEOPLE.

Trump? You're kidding.... :rant: I want to see that smug SOB Goodell have to hand that **** over. Scum of the earth.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The view from Pittsburgh

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...roethlisberger-tom-brady/stories/201701220244

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Mike Tomlin took to calling the New England Patriots names again Sunday night in his post-game talk.

“They are the champions of the AFC,†the Steelers coach said during at his press news conference. “Rightfully so.â€

Indeed, New England came away with a convincing 36-17 victory, tying the Steelers’ fourth-worst loss in 61 post-season games, their worst in 16 AFC championship games.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
8 Super Bowl appearances since unrestricted free agency (1992) and the salary cap (1994) started. That's just insane. Steelers and Broncos have made it four times each, and Cowboys, Seahawks, Giants and Packers three times each (Cowboys only once since a salary cap was instated). :amazed:

Hard to take this in. :)

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
For someone like myself who has followed the ragtag 'Sons of Billy Sullivan' from BU Field to Fenway Park to Boston College, Harvard Stadium and finally Foxborough it staggers my mind that in 2 weeks they will play in their NINTH Super Bowl which is more than any other NFL team.

Last night, I attended my SIXTH home AFC championship game (didn't get to the '96 game vs. Jacksonville), and I kept saying how crazy it was. The Patriots, ffs, have the most SB appearances. What the formerly most pathetic franchise ever has accomplished since Kraft bought them is absolutely astonishing. To have done it with a salary cap and free agency is surreal. To have witnessed it all as a season ticket holder has been an honor and a privilege that's been worth every penny. I'm so damned lucky, I can't believe it.

Winning this Super Bowl would be freakin' incredible, and in a way, that's the best part of it because it just never gets old.

Never. Gets. Old.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The dialogue is already starting.

ATL's top scoring offense vs NE's top scoring D.

That Falcon's O is great no doubt, but the NE offense isn't far behind, and to me that's the key. ATL will get their points for sure, but I believe that their D will have an even harder time stopping Brady.

ATL O>NE O
NE D>ATL D
NE Coaches>ATL Coaches

NE>>ATL

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
The dialogue is already starting.

ATL's top scoring offense vs NE's top scoring D.

That Falcon's O is great no doubt, but the NE offense isn't far behind, and to me that's the key. ATL will get their points for sure, but I believe that their D will have an even harder time stopping Brady.

ATL O>NE O
NE D>ATL D
NE Coaches>ATL Coaches

NE>>ATL

Atlanta's defense has been playing well the last couple of games. Also I doubt they play a soft zone like Pittsburgh did.. I believe Atlanta will game plan around Brady and rush him every chance they get, with different looks and schemes. I'm telling you I don't think its going to be easy. Like Brady said, its going to be a good game.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
NE offensive line has to play well and give Brady time. Remember when you have a high powered offense all you gotta do is stop the opposing team a couple times/situational stops. The X factor will be Bill Belichick he will draw up the winning formula but NE has to execute it.

Atlanta has a few X NE Patriots, one is Scott Pioli, I can't recall who else but there are a couple..

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
NE offensive line has to play well and give Brady time. Remember when you have a high powered offense all you gotta do is stop the opposing team a couple times/situational stops. The X factor will be Bill Belichick he will draw up the winning formula but NE has to execute it.

Atlanta has a few X NE Patriots, one is Scott Pioli, I can't recall who else but there are a couple..

Dimitroff is ex-NE as well

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

The GM Thomas Dimitroff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad