NFL: NFL Players Strike coming?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
@Sports Enthusiast if you were in the best 0,00001% of your profession, you would likely be a millionaire too.

These guys are paid the way they are because they have a rare talent that makes their employer a TON of money. They literally ARE the product. Without the players, there is no NFL. I repeat, THEY ARE THE PRODUCT! The deserve to get a big slice of the pie.

I will never understand people defending billionaire owners trying to maximize their profits by squeezing every last dime out of guys that very well might be in wheelchairs by the time they are 45. The NFL is a VERY profitable business. Like everyone makes money before even one seat has been filled. Guaranteed contracts wouldn't change that.

Guys being able to get out of poverty because they are good at football is a good thing, not a bad one.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I will never understand people defending billionaire owners trying to maximize their profits by squeezing every last dime out of guys that very well might be in wheelchairs by the time they are 45.
& not one decent argument in sight [at least in this thread] by anyone saying these players shouldn't get guaranteed contracts

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
& not one decent argument in sight [at least in this thread] by anyone saying these players shouldn't get guaranteed contracts
I doubt that they will. They don’t have the combined will to hold out against the owners. About 75% or so of a teams cap goes to like 12 players.

Like I said, nfl guys won’t be getting 5 years guaranteed. At most it would be 3 years like cousins.

Long term deals generally only contain guarantees for the first 3 years. Don’t see that changing.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I doubt that they will. They don’t have the combined will to hold out against the owners. About 75% or so of a teams cap goes to like 12 players.

Like I said, nfl guys won’t be getting 5 years guaranteed. At most it would be 3 years like cousins.

Long term deals generally only contain guarantees for the first 3 years. Don’t see that changing.

More money and lifetime medical is what the players are pushing for according to Sherman.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
@Sports Enthusiast if you were in the best 0,00001% of your profession, you would likely be a millionaire too.

These guys are paid the way they are because they have a rare talent that makes their employer a TON of money. They literally ARE the product. Without the players, there is no NFL. I repeat, THEY ARE THE PRODUCT! The deserve to get a big slice of the pie.

I will never understand people defending billionaire owners trying to maximize their profits by squeezing every last dime out of guys that very well might be in wheelchairs by the time they are 45. The NFL is a VERY profitable business. Like everyone makes money before even one seat has been filled. Guaranteed contracts wouldn't change that.

Guys being able to get out of poverty because they are good at football is a good thing, not a bad one.

Actually without the fans theyd have nithing. Even with the talent they still need a reason to go or be interested to go. But now with the TV deals they dont even need us anymore. Im not defending the owners, I just think these guys are spoiled brats. Like Julio f***ing Jones whining for a new contract with 3 years left on his current deal.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
sports teams and stadiums increase the revenue of the local economy. It’s an investment that a city makes for profits. Same with tv rights. Networks buy the rights to broadcast sports so that they could charge advertisers for having a large audience. This stuff ain’t free.

Not a fan of that argument, even if you used it for football, what you have 8 games a year? That wont make or break a business. The other sports most of your games are 7pm on a weekday so youre not gunna see tons of out of towners usually. They may give temporary boosts but sports will not make or break a city's economy. Thats one of the biggest long fed lies in society. Thats how they justify and guilt people into allowing a tax funded stadium. These moguls dont care about others and the overall fate of the masses. This goes for any industry.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
If you’re one of the 1,000 best people at what you do, you deserve to be paid as such. And if you earn your company money, you should also benefit. Should professional players get paid a $10 weekly allowance because they’re “playing a children’s game”?

Doesnt work like that in the real world. It depends on where you live and the size of the company. Most of america does not live in a big area so they wont be compensated like that.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I wouldn't have a problem if NFL contracts were fully guaranteed. However I prefer the current system. On the flip side it bothers me when teams just discard players without a thought because they can.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
More money and lifetime medical is what the players are pushing for according to Sherman.

more money as in higher share of total revenues?

getting both more money and lifetime medicals are going to be hard to pull off. it's fair as now they get like 43% of football revenue as they caved so badly last time and iirc, some things that make a lot of money for the NFL aren't included in football revenue so players don't get their cut. maybe they can get one of them if they are willing to cancel some games or something that shows they are serious about it this time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
more money as in higher share of total revenues?

getting both more money and lifetime medicals are going to be hard to pull off. it's fair as now they get like 43% of football revenue as they caved so badly last time and iirc, some things that make a lot of money for the NFL aren't included in football revenue so players don't get their cut. maybe they can get one of them if they are willing to cancel some games or something that shows they are serious about it this time.

Every player has to buy in and be committed. That’s how the owners win. 12/53 players make the majority of the money. How are the other 40 players supposed to be willing to sacrifice a year’s salary when they are the ones more easily replaced.

Players need to fight to get a 50% share.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Every player has to buy in and be committed. That’s how the owners win. 12/53 players make the majority of the money. How are the other 40 players supposed to be willing to sacrifice a year’s salary when they are the ones more easily replaced.

Players need to fight to get a 50% share.

without looking at exact numbers, maybe about another dozen gets league minimum or so. in that case, the top dozen and the bottom dozen wouldn't be impacted THAT much by getting more money. like usually in pro sports CBA negotiations, the middle class has the most votes, most to win and most to lose.

iirc, it was 50-50 in the last CBA so owners aren't going to give up that easily without other major concessions.. and in the NFL, the revenue split is probably the most important.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
without looking at exact numbers, maybe about another dozen gets league minimum or so. in that case, the top dozen and the bottom dozen wouldn't be impacted THAT much by getting more money. like usually in pro sports CBA negotiations, the middle class has the most votes, most to win and most to lose.

iirc, it was 50-50 in the last CBA so owners aren't going to give up that easily without other major concessions.. and in the NFL, the revenue split is probably the most important.
In searching for the current cba revenue split it says it is between 47 to 48.5% for the players. Then the next question to ask is whether that revenue base includes all football related revenues.

I think 3 years is plenty to prove your worth in the league. If you are a starter you will get paid well. If you are only a sub package guy you will get paid accordingly. And this thing with franchise tags is stupid. If you don’t want to sign a guy long term let him walk.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Guaranteed contracts are unlikely. What the PA needs to focus on is better terms.

Eliminate the franchise tag.
Reduce rookie deals down to 3 years.
Eliminate the option year on first round picks.

Get those things and leave it up to the player and his agent to get the most money they can.

I don't mind the tag - but maybe make it so it can only be used one time on a. player so we don't get guys like Cousins & Bell waiting (or just not getting) long term contracts when they fully deserve them.

Average NFL career is 2.5 seasons - does it really make sense to have rookie deals that long? IMO its fine as is. At least they capped rookie salaries last time, remember when Bradford got $78 million right off the bat?

Players won't get guaranteed deals but I think they will fight for and gain the removal of Goodell's ability to act as judge, jury & executioner. After bullcrap suspensions to two of the leagues best/most popular players in Zeke & Brady, its gotta end.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I hate the idea of guaranteed contracts. The last thing we need are more players who just mail it in and not even try because they get their money no matter what. These are already some of the most pampered spoiled brats alive and they still want more.

Hopefully the players lose this one. Thankfully the owners have the power as the players can only hold on for so long.
This is a disgusting opinion. Your wage shouldn’t be guaranteed because you will just mail it in then.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't mind the tag - but maybe make it so it can only be used one time on a. player so we don't get guys like Cousins & Bell waiting (or just not getting) long term contracts when they fully deserve them.

Average NFL career is 2.5 seasons - does it really make sense to have rookie deals that long? IMO its fine as is. At least they capped rookie salaries last time, remember when Bradford got $78 million right off the bat?

Players won't get guaranteed deals but I think they will fight for and gain the removal of Goodell's ability to act as judge, jury & executioner. After bullcrap suspensions to two of the leagues best/most popular players in Zeke & Brady, its gotta end.
I will disagree about the TAG. Since careers are so short, if another team is willing to give a player a long term deal with more guaranteed money, that should should be allowed to leave and sign there. None of this tag and tag and basically eat away at a player's productive years, so that when the tag ends, no team is going to give a long term deal.

I think rookie deals going down from 4 years to 3 is fair. And eliminating the 5th year option on 1st rounders. let the market dictate who gets paid.

Personally, there are like only 5% of a team that ever gets in trouble with the league. I doubt that the players who don't get into trouble care about it. But, every player wants more money. If I was a player, I wouldn't trade financial benefits/money for suspension powers. Career too short to worry about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad