NFL: NFL Players Strike coming?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
So you're a shill for the rich in the sports world too. Not surprising. Without guaranteed contracts your hockey team wouldn't have won any of their recent cups. So you'd trade those to line the pockets of rich owner? Or does this only apply to the NFL because of obvious reasons.

I dont even have to like hockey that much to understand why you cant compare the two. Hockey isnt that popular and outside of a few cup games on NBC most of their playoffs are not on cable or a fined tune oil machine like Turner or ESPN. The league probably struggles to make a profit without such a lucrative TV deal. The salary caps are different because one league is popular and has the resources for that. You also have more players on a roster. Ill go out on a limb and say hockey has no $100 million contracts out there. In the NFL you would be paying a QB, WR and a defensive player or two contracts around there or even above. Teams already invest enough as it is on a QB

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Okay, so why does that mark all players as thugs like you did?

Sure there's quite a few guys that break out of their crappy upbringing via sports, but to say all of them like you did is completely asinine and and probably racist.

Not racist. Richie Incognito roughed up Martin and he was white. Jim Kelly when he played for the Bills used to hit his wife

I said that because out of all the sports its where you hear the most domestic disputes and assaults among other things. I believe its the only sport thus far where an owner and other front office personnel have been ousted for sexual harassment. Im sure its happrned in other sports over the years but not since its become this whole hot buttoned societal topic.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Lol sure you would.

Slavery sucks. To just have to catch or throw a ball or make tackles? Sign me up. Even with potential physical pain it beats going to a place you hate that gives you just enough to survive. These clowns are indoctrinated into the public education system though and are prayed off of because they are vulnerable. Without football quite a few would be in prison. Quite a few probably have childhood pals who ended up there because they werent as lucky.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I can't wait for the tv deal bubble to burst for all pro sports. What are they going to do then? It's only a matter of time until the cap has been reached on what networks will spend on sports. I for one am tired of cable rates, ticket rates, only increasing so leagues can get more money. Then they turn around and ask the taxpayers to help fund a stadium as well. It's a joke of a system.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I can't wait for the tv deal bubble to burst for all pro sports. What are they going to do then? It's only a matter of time until the cap has been reached on what networks will spend on sports. I for one am tired of cable rates, ticket rates, only increasing so leagues can get more money. Then they turn around and ask the taxpayers to help fund a stadium as well. It's a joke of a system.

Tech and apps arent a huge interest for me but whats the difference between getting MLB At Bat or Extra Innings on Direct TV or whatever cable you have? Isnt it still basically all the same going to the same place?

When each team is given $255 million of a national revenue pot theres no reason to need the slaves that are the taxpayers to pay for these stadiums. Im also sick of new stadiums always popping up like see Atlanta in footbal and baseball recently.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
So the NFL as a league in 2017 made $8 billion nationally, each team got $255 million. Thats why hockey for example has guaranteed contracts and football does not. Not positive hockey or basketball has these pot options even at all. Football just has a lot of funny money laying around that you can just throw it everywhere. One could argue because of all the money that the NFL should have guaranteed contracts. On the flip side the reason they dont is because they dont need to. Because of all the money its easier to release guys. In other sports you have to buy them out so not only do you release them but you have to pay them the cash of the contract. You also have too many injuries and players under contract. It would be a hassle to keep up with everything. All the money creates flexibility.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
I hate the idea of guaranteed contracts. The last thing we need are more players who just mail it in and not even try because they get their money no matter what. These are already some of the most pampered spoiled brats alive and they still want more.

Other leagues have guaranteed contracts. Has it ruined those as well?

I fail to see how it's so much about greed when it's about spreading the revenue the product, in its core the players, generates.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Tech and apps arent a huge interest for me but whats the difference between getting MLB At Bat or Extra Innings on Direct TV or whatever cable you have? Isnt it still basically all the same going to the same place?

When each team is given $255 million of a national revenue pot theres no reason to need the slaves that are the taxpayers to pay for these stadiums. Im also sick of new stadiums always popping up like see Atlanta in footbal and baseball recently.

I was referencing the cable deals. IE Fox, ESPN, NBC paying leagues to have their broadcast rights. Those costs get passed onto the consumer through cable prices.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
So you're a shill for the rich in the sports world too. Not surprising. Without guaranteed contracts your hockey team wouldn't have won any of their recent cups. So you'd trade those to line the pockets of rich owner? Or does this only apply to the NFL because of obvious reasons.

This is great coming from a guy who thinks entitled millionaires who are playing a children's game deserve guaranteed contracts.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lol sure you would.
Who would ever play for free? It’s a physically punishing sport.

Get your money and get out. Nflpa isn’t united and will fall apart if there is a work stoppage. Too many low end guys just want to make it to survive a fight with the owners.

Guaranteed contracts will just be very short deals like the cousins one. Jimmy g’s deal is almost the same in guranteed money structure. Just a small dead cap hit to SF if they cut him after year 3.

Focus on shortening the rookie deals and eliminating the franchise tag. Either Murray retiring it should tell L Bell that if he doesn’t get a long term deal with Pitt now he’ll never get one after this season. Value just won’t be there for another team.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I was referencing the cable deals. IE Fox, ESPN, NBC paying leagues to have their broadcast rights. Those costs get passed onto the consumer through cable prices.

Interesting. NBC is very basic cable. You dont even have to have cable to get it, atleast this used to be the case anyway, same for FOX. But maybe basic cable is no longer available. In my area Spectrum(used to be flop Time Warner)now you have to have a box to watch any television in your house. Until the beginning of this year this wasnt the case.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Who would ever play for free? It’s a physically punishing sport.

Get your money and get out. Nflpa isn’t united and will fall apart if there is a work stoppage. Too many low end guys just want to make it to survive a fight with the owners.

Guaranteed contracts will just be very short deals like the cousins one. Jimmy g’s deal is almost the same in guranteed money structure. Just a small dead cap hit to SF if they cut him after year 3.

Focus on shortening the rookie deals and eliminating the franchise tag. Either Murray retiring it should tell L Bell that if he doesn’t get a long term deal with Pitt now he’ll never get one after this season. Value just won’t be there for another team.

Its a kids game, I would love to be a kid forever. Brett Favre always struck me as a guy who would have played for nothing. He once even "jokingly" asked that "we get paid for this?" Coming as the guy he seems to be off the field I dont think he was in it for money, atleast if you judge how he dresses lol

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Other leagues have guaranteed contracts. Has it ruined those as well?

I fail to see how it's so much about greed when it's about spreading the revenue the product, in its core the players, generates.

Lets see how much the NBA and NHL are making in a given year and how much each team gets in revenue sharing. Bet its nothing compared to the NFL and the $255 million they each got last season.

The problem is its up to the owner. They get that money and can do whatever they want with it. No owner has an obligation to spend outside of the minimum for his team. Would be stupid not to from a competitive standpoint. If you have guaranteed contracts they will just be shorter contracts. Take for example Andrew Luck. Now the Colts didnt do this but say he comes back and is awful, now they can move on. If you have a guaranteed contract you have to keep him on whether you play him or not. All non guaranteed contracts do is allow teams flexibility.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Its a kids game, I would love to be a kid forever. Brett Favre always struck me as a guy who would have played for nothing. He once even "jokingly" asked that "we get paid for this?" Coming as the guy he seems to be off the field I dont think he was in it for money, atleast if you judge how he dresses lol
Brett Favre was the highest paid player on his team every season. Don’t believe the hype.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I will always be happy he went to Minny though because it resulted in this

Brett threw away plenty of games like this and cost his team a great deal more because he selfishly put streak and playing injured ahead of team

Its reason he only has 1 ring

Hell his final throw for Packers was this gem in NFC Champ game OT

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

You realize the physical punishment the guy took over his career right? Favre played through a lot of pain. Guy got hooked on painkillers. Elway had a knee replaced. Those medical bills will add up later on in life.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
And the biggest prima donna. Remember his hissy fit when the Packers correctly went with a superior QB in Aaron Rodgers?

That wasnt over money. He also wasnt alone in how he felt. trahan also threw a fit. Towards the end these guys dont want to do things like Training Camp. Besides Rodgers is also being a douche and admitted recently he understands now why Favre didnt want to be his babysitter.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You realize the physical punishment the guy took over his career right? Favre played through a lot of pain. Guy got hooked on painkillers. Elway had a knee replaced. Those medical bills will add up later on in life.

Sure, but that will happen for almost everyone in life aging. Maybe they have more repurcussions true. Hoever, im also not a planner. I dont look ahead. I dont look at life as a guarantee once you reach a certain point. I know now at 30 that im not worried about whether I make it to 65. For one its 35 years away. I live more in the moment. If you make it that long I mean thats great but I dont think you should spend your whole life centered around a future youre not certain of.

A lot of these guys get hooked on pills. But I mean that happens in normal society to. Almost any drug addict out there I bt you they were a hospital patient and drugs were introduced to them there. A guy that was on the Bucs recently was fighting for medical marijuana to be allowed by the league. That would help a lot when it comes to medical expenses.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Or the fact he went to the Jets and became a team cancer immediately.

Farve was my guy growing up but man those last couple years do not look good on his rep.

Do those rarely ever go well? Montana had one lucky year with the Chiefs but Brett had that in Minnesota and atleast in the conference title game his team was in the game with a chance. Peyton Manning is about the only guy who had that work out for him.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Do those rarely ever go well? Montana had one lucky year with the Chiefs but Brett had that in Minnesota and atleast in the conference title game his team was in the game with a chance. Peyton Manning is about the only guy who had that work out for him.

He threw the game away. :laugh:

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
sports teams and stadiums increase the revenue of the local economy. It’s an investment that a city makes for profits. Same with tv rights. Networks buy the rights to broadcast sports so that they could charge advertisers for having a large audience. This stuff ain’t free.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
This is great coming from a guy who thinks entitled millionaires who are playing a children's game deserve guaranteed contracts.
If you’re one of the 1,000 best people at what you do, you deserve to be paid as such. And if you earn your company money, you should also benefit. Should professional players get paid a $10 weekly allowance because they’re “playing a children’s game”?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->