NFL: NFL Players Strike coming?

Discussion in 'Football' started by Blackhawkswincup, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Blackhawkswincup

Blackhawkswincup RIP Fugu

NFL Players Call For Guaranteed Contracts As Potential Work Stoppage Looms
    Todd Gurley Says NFL Player Strike's On the Table to Get Guaranteed Contracts

NFLPA striking will prove costly and demand for guaranteed contracts and to do away with salary cap as some are advocating from players side are not going to be well received by ownership

Frankly both are non starters IMO and owners will move to destroy union if this happens. Hell we saw last threat of lockout that NFL players couldn't afford long work stoppage

NFLPA head has said that work stoppage is inevitable via either strike or lockout in coming years

Labor war appears very much on NFL Horizon

2. OmniCube

OmniCube Kefka did it for the lulz

Vic Viper
    When does the CBA expire?

3. StreetHawk

StreetHawk Registered User

Guaranteed contracts are unlikely. What the PA needs to focus on is better terms.

Eliminate the franchise tag.
    Reduce rookie deals down to 3 years.
    Eliminate the option year on first round picks.

Get those things and leave it up to the player and his agent to get the most money they can.

4. InjuredChoker

InjuredChoker Registered User

first makes a lot of sense for PA, 3rd maybe but the 2nd could/would hurt the veterans a lot, less money for them. as that would only apply for players who are not yet part of the PA and thus don't have a vote.

guaranteed contracts aren't going to happen. players will cave in these negotiations like they did the last time.

OmniCube likes this.
  5. justafan22

justafan22 Registered User

I think it's coming. But what's the big difference between the 2011 negotiations and the upcoming ones?

6. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

However much they're willing to lose of their side of the pot.

We found out that last time that it was one pre-season game.

And by one pre-season game, I mean one singular pre-season game. (Hall of Fame Game).

Voight and SniperHF like this.
  7. StreetHawk

True, but The only way to move th needle in the players favour is to do what’s best for players in general. I’m sure the current batch of players on the rookie contracts don’t love the current cba like Donald and co.

Guys coming off their rookie deals won’t be affected by the shortening of the rookie deals. It’s that 3rd contract that could be potentially impacted.

But football is a vicious sport on tHe body. Best to get your money on your 2nd contract and get out with your health.

8. Gary 23

Gary 23 Registered User

I think the NFLPA needs to find a new president. Their cba has sucked for decades.

9. Gary 23

Gary 23 Registered User

Most of them don’t make it to even their second contract. Get rid of the rookie cap and let them earn money before they get lifelong debilitating head injuries. The whole nfl system is a failure for the players.

10. Dont Toews Me Bro

Dont Toews Me Bro Registered User

I hate the idea of guaranteed contracts. The last thing we need are more players who just mail it in and not even try because they get their money no matter what. These are already some of the most pampered spoiled brats alive and they still want more.

Hopefully the players lose this one. Thankfully the owners have the power as the players can only hold on for so long.

11. StreetHawk

Hey had that and it got done away with. PA didn’t want rookies making more than vets.

I agree with the rookies having to prove themselves but 4 years is too long for a sport like football. Get it down to 3 years for all rookies.

Most guys don’t hit contract #2. Those would be your day 3 picks. If you don’t make an impact by the then End of the rookie deal, teams will find someone else.

12. mmvvpp

mmvvpp Registered User

totally disagree in every way here...

13. JetsWillFly4Ever

JetsWillFly4Ever Registered User

Players deserve guaranteed contracts but they really have no leverage in negotiations. It is much easier for owners to wait the players out than the opposite, the average NFL player's career is under 5 years, they can't afford to not get paid.

14. Dont Toews Me Bro

Dont Toews Me Bro Registered User

How do they deserve them, exactly? They're getting paid millions to play a children's game. I could understand a select few players getting guaranteed contracts but if everyone gets one then you're going to see the quality of play drop, as players can just mail it in once they sign the contract.

15. Sports Enthusiast

Sports Enthusiast Not Here To Be Liked

Student
    The NFL doesnt get it. This will just piss off more of America as a bunch of thugs whine for more cash. Money is ruining pro sports. But to be honest I wouldnt expect an NFL anyway regardless in about 20 or so years.

16. Blitzkrug

Blitzkrug Bae over Bay

Student
    Politics board is that a'way, bud.

I'd ask why you think they're all thugs but i already know why.

17. Big Poppa Puck

Big Poppa Puck HF's Villain

Again it's a 10 Billion dollar industry and the money has to go somewhere, should the billionaire owners just keep it all? It's not like Kirk Cousins or whoever getting over paid is taking money out of our pockets. Economically most athletes are actually underpaid given what they make there employers.

There's also the whole "but teachers, fireman,!! rabble rabble rabble" teachers are under paid but that's not the pro athletes fault and has the two aren't related at all.

NFL players especially should try to make the most money they can since the average career is what? 3.5 years. Most of these players are back working regular joe jobs in a few years.

Scandale du Jour likes this.
  18. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Dedicated to babies who came feet first

I fully back the players considering NFL teams get 255 million dollars a year to just exist. The NFL salary cap is 172 million. Pay the players.

19. Gene Parmesan

Maybe Americans shouldn't be so mediocre and jealous. That's what it boils down to. Jealousy.

20. Gene Parmesan

So you're a shill for the rich in the sports world too. Not surprising. Without guaranteed contracts your hockey team wouldn't have won any of their recent cups. So you'd trade those to line the pockets of rich owner? Or does this only apply to the NFL because of obvious reasons.

21. Sports Enthusiast

Student
    Do tell, then.

Politics are not real. Politics are self engineered manufactured topics created by billionaires to divide and distract the masses. Sports is a great way to push agendas through sponsors for example. Certain rop players get sponsorships, hardly agree with that but if you dont think they control these people for leverage.

They arent all thugs but a fair amount, compared to rich boy sports like baseball and hockey. Its similar to the NBA but because you have more players on a team roster you have more incidents. You may not like the truth but for a lot of guys in basketball and football athletics is their meal ticket to get out of their horrible inner city upbringings. Sure you get some bright guys across the board but you cant be real and say money hasnt ruined sports. Its turned many away from the pro ranks. But all that aside football will disappear soon enough regardless from how much they are crippling the sport for safety. Not to mention kids are getting just stronger and faster so for safety reasons im sure more will turn elsewhere. They are already trying to eliminate tackling in youth football. Sure its an easy watch and money maker but give it a generation when the youth participation hardly exists. Its already struggling in youth participation rates.

22. Newsworthy

Newsworthy Registered User

I expect changes to come.
    SALARY CAP stays.

23. Sports Enthusiast

Student
    Im not jealous because a guy can throw or catch a ball. Id play for free versus the job I have. Most would. Thats the point. These greedy guys make more than they need in one contract. The point is while quite a few of these shmucks come from poor backgrounds they have no idea how lucky they are. They get to hurl a ball round for a living. Instead of ending up in a factory or coal mine or something.

24. Blitzkrug

Blitzkrug Bae over Bay

Student
    Okay, so why does that mark all players as thugs like you did?

Sure there's quite a few guys that break out of their crappy upbringing via sports, but to say all of them like you did is completely asinine and and probably racist.

25. Blitzkrug

Blitzkrug Bae over Bay

Student
    Lol sure you would.

Voight and mmvvpp like this.