OT: NFL Discussion Thread V (Surgery for Eli; Jets sign CJ2K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Cruz lobbied for Evans yesterday. If Evans is available at 12, the Giants have to jump. He's got everything, except good route running - which can be taught.

I'd take one of Evans, Lewan, and Ebron. Doesn't look good for 2 of the 3.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Agreed about Evans he is a clear no. 1 choice which is why I don't see him being there. Some team in the top-10 will take him, Giants would need to move up.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'm on the fence when it comes to the defense. As an old school fan I remember how dominant the linebackers were in a 3-4, but the we won two SB with a deep front four.

I want to see a dominant, physical defense like the 80s. That's why I'm high on Mosley and Shazier. They need 3rd down stoppers especially in the nickel.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
One interesting name on D that isn't being talking about is Anthony Barr. For pretty obvious reasons - on paper he seems out of place in a 4-3.

But there are aspects of his profile which scream Giant. One of the best athletes in the draft, just freakish. Getting in the backfield so fast he's breaking up RB pitches. Limited experience playing LB, switched from RB. At times Giants seem to like those raw kids with "upside." Giants now have Kiwi with his hand in the dirt full time, Sintim busted. It's not like they have completely overlooked pass rushing LBs.

I wouldn't expect it (because of other likely options at 12) but there are some ways in which it fits.

BarbaraAlphanse

I am starting to go back to thinking that we will draft Marquise Lee at 18.

Idzik picks on good value. Milliner wasn't a reach where he was, he was ranked by many as the top prospect in the draft. He slipped to 9. Then they picked Richardson, a guy that would have been top 10 if he had played 1 more year in Missou. Finally, they picked Geno Smith, a guy who was projected at one point to go top 10.

All value guys - guys that would have gone somewhere higher at other points in their career.

Lee fits that bill. He would have gone top 5 last year, if he had declared. The whole USC team struggled this year, and without an even somewhat decent QB to throw to him, Lee struggled as well.

I think he could be a legit #1, although USC guys definitely scare me. In any event, a top 5 talent going to 18 seems like a no brainer to me.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Lee's leg strength is incredible. On top of that he has some smarts to his game.

So many good receivers, I have no idea who the Jets take if they take one at #18.

BarbaraAlphanse

Lee's leg strength is incredible. On top of that he has some smarts to his game.

So many good receivers, I have no idea who the Jets take if they take one at #18.

Personally, I'd love to be able to take Anthony Barr or Eric Ebron in the 1st and then Matthews or Robinson in the 2nd.

But if both Ebron and Barr are gone, which may be, Lee would be ideal.

Not sold on ODB or Cooks. They're reach picks in my eyes. Cooks to the Eagles would be the best case scenario for him. It'll help him develop into a dominant player being able to reunite with the coach that got him to be that successful, rather than having to learn different systems and such.

ODB... Just not sold. Think Landry will be the better WR long term.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Personally, I'd love to be able to take Anthony Barr or Eric Ebron in the 1st and then Matthews or Robinson in the 2nd.

But if both Ebron and Barr are gone, which may be, Lee would be ideal.

Not sold on ODB or Cooks. They're reach picks in my eyes. Cooks to the Eagles would be the best case scenario for him. It'll help him develop into a dominant player being able to reunite with the coach that got him to be that successful, rather than having to learn different systems and such.

ODB... Just not sold. Think Landry will be the better WR long term.

Which coach on the Eagles made Cooks successful?

Best case scenario (barring someone really unexpected falling to 18 of course) is to trade down to the mid 20s with someone trying to jump ahead of MIA or ARZ for Martin or in front of ARZ for a QB.

We'd pick up another 3rd and still get one of Cooks/ODB/Lee.

BarbaraAlphanse

I really have no clue where the Jets are going to go with this pick.

If Anthony Barr is still on the board, no matter who else is there, my bet would be on him. The team needs another OLB on the other side. Pace could groom him and he could step into a starters role mid-season or even next year.

I can see them not really emphasizing the CB and the TE positions until the latter rounds. WR and OLB are necessities.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
If Anthony Barr is still on the board, no matter who else is there, my bet would be on him. The team needs another OLB on the other side. Pace could groom him and he could step into a starters role mid-season or even next year.

I can see them not really emphasizing the CB and the TE positions until the latter rounds. WR and OLB are necessities.

We have a bigger need at CB than we do WR.

BarbaraAlphanse

We have a bigger need at CB than we do WR.

Patterson, Wilson, and Walls. I'd think we don't have the most pressing CB need considering we have 3 nearly average players on the team and Rex played with far worse in Baltimore.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Patterson, Wilson, and Walls. I'd think we don't have the most pressing CB need considering we have 3 nearly average players on the team and Rex played with far worse in Baltimore.
The good news is that the Jets have 12 picks and this a deep class for WR's. So if one of the top 2 CB's fall to us at 18 we probably will take them. I want offense for the first 2 rounds but if a top defensive secondary players falls to us i wouldnt be upset if we took them

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

Patterson and Wilson both excel against the slot WR as a nickel. Walls is what he is, and Milliner isn't a sure thing either. He came on strong last year, but he sure as hell isn't a surefire #1 CB yet.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I think Milliner is a pretty sure thing. He may not be an elite #1 but he'll be a solid #1 or an elite #2 guy.
Agreed. he missed a lot of trainign camp because of injuries which probably resulted him haveing a rough first half. Once he started to get his legs under him and understand the pro game he did fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad