OT: NFL Discussion Thread V (Surgery for Eli; Jets sign CJ2K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Still sad that Jacobs is gone, not only from the Giants, but from the NFL. The running game certainly picked up when it was he, Hillis, and of course Brown.

Obviously, the Giants weren't so impressed with David Wilson, even before his injury. Is he the future of the Giants running game? You definitely can't say so, especially with his injuries.

I'd take a flyer in the 5th round or so on a running back this year. See if we can get lucky on a high risk/high reward type back.

May I suggest Brandon Oliver out of Buffalo? :naughty:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
RB seems to be one of those positions where you can find good value in the later rounds. I like the Ivory/Powell combination, but I wouldn't be at all opposed to the Jets taking a flier on someone late. They have a bounty of mid/late round picks this year, so it's worth a shot.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
RB seems to be one of those positions where you can find good value in the later rounds. I like the Ivory/Powell combination, but I wouldn't be at all opposed to the Jets taking a flier on someone late. They have a bounty of mid/late round picks this year, so it's worth a shot.

Exactly. First guy that comes to mind for me is a guy like Alfred Morris (6th round), or a homer pick guy like James Starks (6th round).

I'm sure these guys, and others, are the exception and not the rule; but going RB late in the draft is something I can get behind.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It is the shelf life of a RB that makes sense going late in the draft helps. These guys take a beating, lasting usually 3 years. Would a 1st or even a 2nd make sense, unless they are elite, if you can get an adequate player in the 4th or 5th who will help for the next 3-4 seasons? Get a couple guys who can play off each other and you don't need an every down back.

You can groom them as well for a couple seasons and not put milage on them. It's different than a QB or premium positions. If they are BPA, should take them anyway, but if it is need, make a later selection. WR, QB, and OT are premium on offense. DE/OLB, MLB, and CB are defense premium. If they are BPA at the draft early, take one of those positions. Many other positions can be filled later in the draft by organization philosophy and type of player prefered. TE, RB, DT/NT, S, OG, C, OLB(4-3 only) can be found later IMO. Unless BPA, draft the other positions first.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Drafting a RB in round 1 is bad asset mgmt.

The dropoff from the best RB to the #32 RB has to be the closest of all positions.

#jerryreeseproblems

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I had a good night tonight. Made some bets on the games and both came up winners.
Sorry BB :)

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
I liked Hillis, he's a thick strong back. Any chance we bring him back for FB? I think he would be better than Pascoe at that position.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Giants moved interview w GB QB coach to Monday

Sounds like they want a new system.
That's got to be a great interview process.
Imagine I have an OL
Imagine I have a #1 WR
Imagine I have a TE
Imagine I have a RB

This is what Id do here.

Mara & Reese blaming too much on injuries. It's such a joke. Every team has injuries. Some playoff teams had much worse luck than NYG this year.

Jerry Reese should watch the playoffs & see how a real team is built

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad