OT: NFL Discussion Thread V (Surgery for Eli; Jets sign CJ2K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

If Aldon is cut, you think we really go after him? We seem to be targeting those "high character" guys.

That being said, Aldon is literally the exact player we need in this defense.

I mean, they took a chance on Goodson last year. How many teams will take a chance on Aldon if he is cut?

You can't compare him to DeSean, if you're a GM. DeSean hasn't been arrested. There were rumors about him, nothing that led to incarceration or rehab. So I can't see any team going after him, offering him loads of money.

Aldon is a talented, yet troubled, player. Not many GM's will take a chance on him because not many coaches will be able to contain him. Harbaugh doesn't seem like an easy guy to play for. More of a military dictator. Some players, with high character, certain will flourish playing for a guy like that. Others will only fall into a troubled pattern further.

He'll get a prove-me contract, if cut, that makes it easy for any team to send him packing if he slips up again. But most importantly, he'll need a coach and environment that he can really mature in. NY isn't the best place for that, you are correct, so maybe it is not the best fit. But Rex is a players coach, he'll stand by Aldon and support him, and I would even gander that he'll establish some sort of mature support system to help him mature. Rex was there when Ray Lewis was accused of being involved in a murder. It's astounding that Lewis was able to not only stay out of trouble after that, but that he became such a respected and prolific figure after. Look at how Lewis talks of Ryan, like a father. If Lewis was to leave Baltimore several years ago, he had publicly said he would have taken less money to play for Rex and the Jets. That was his only other option that he was considering.

Admiration, respect, and I believe even a sense of maturity, is something that Rex bestows onto his players. I think he's effective in reforming players because he so passionately supports and fights for his players that if they slip up, they only feel worse that they let him down.

I don't think Aldon would be in bad hands, here. But he'd have to take control of his life in a positive way.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They took a chance on Goodson and it didn't end well. Despite the fact that Smith is an awesome talent, I feel like we'd probably pass.

BarbaraAlphanse

They took a chance on Goodson and it didn't end well. Despite the fact that Smith is an awesome talent, I feel like we'd probably pass.

It didn't work out isn't the same as it didn't end well.

Goodson stayed out of the spotlight. Didn't affect the locker room negatively. And his contract made it incredibly easy to cut him - which is what will happen before training camp starts.

He was also an offensive player, which means Ryan probably wasn't exposed to him as often as he is with defensive players.

Finally, he's not the talent that Aldon is. At no point would his character be a focal point for the coaches. With a guy like Smith, who is a game changer, I would assume that a lot more effort will be given to positively surrounding them.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's a good move for the Jets. They signed him to a very reasonable contract, and while his numbers declined last season, at 28 he should still have a few good years left. It's worth noting that he has never had an offensive line that ranked higher than 19th overall in run blocking. He's durable, can catch the ball out of the backfield (something the Jets lack), and is still probably faster than both Ivory and Powell.

An Ivory/Johnson tandem with Powell spelling them is a solid backfield.

I didn't want the guy from the beginning. I posted on it when there was a rumor he'd visit. I want no part of him at all. I mean, good luck with him and all, but I'm seriously glad we didn't spend anything on him.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Still 3 damn weeks until the draft.

Should've been next week on usual schedule.

Curious how Dom Easley's pro day goes today.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I'm surprised they did 2 years on Johnson.

Curious to see his motivation level.

Positive is the 2nd year is just a team option, so should have some motivation.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 21h

RB Chris Johnson's 2-year deal with Jets has a team option in it for year two. Jets have option to pick up year two at $4M in February 2015.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So they signed him to a one-year, $4M deal. No downside whatsoever, and if he looks like the guy he did even two seasons ago, they have a good back under contract for reasonable terms for two years.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Still 3 damn weeks until the draft.

Should've been next week on usual schedule.

Curious how Dom Easley's pro day goes today.

I feel bad for Easley. He's the best DT in this class and a top 10(maybe top 5) pick if he doesn't have those ACL tears.

He's a guy who could end up being the best player in this draft or out of the league after a couple games.

I don't know how you put a value on that

BarbaraAlphanse

Aldon Smith's option will not be picked up, meaning he will be a FA. The whole point is for him for find a place where he can get his head straight. Can Rex provide that?

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Aldon Smith's option will not be picked up, meaning he will be a FA. The whole point is for him for find a place where he can get his head straight. Can Rex provide that?

Hasn't there been enough precedent that Rex's locker room is not the place for people to get their acts together?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Will Hill supposedly failed another drug test (and will appeal).

:: Sigh ::

Top 5 safety in the league already and he can't keep his life in check. What a shame.

BarbaraAlphanse

Will Hill supposedly failed another drug test (and will appeal).

:: Sigh ::

Top 5 safety in the league already and he can't keep his life in check. What a shame.

Faces year suspension, right?

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
Anyone else think it's ridiculous that they pushed the draft back to May this year? Really really annoying IMO. I'm tired of speculating who the Giants will take with 12....I just hope it's Ebron, Evans who probably won't be there, or one of the three tackles.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Anyone else think it's ridiculous that they pushed the draft back to May this year? Really really annoying IMO. I'm tired of speculating who the Giants will take with 12....I just hope it's Ebron, Evans who probably won't be there, or one of the three tackles.

Yes it's moronic. The draft used to be during the day on a Sunday up against NHL playoffs, baseball and NBA stretch drive.

Leagues are so greedy these days. Every penny counts. They want the draft in prime time to attract more viewers and get more ad revenue.

It's a shame. They made it unbearable for the diehard draft junkies who would lock themselves in a room for 14 hours on draft day and enjoy what really was a unique event.

I hate corporate America. Ruined everything.

As for Ebron, I'm not sold. I really like Lewan but if he's gone I'd look at Shazier from OSU. I've had a chance to watch some clips this year. Extremely physical in a 4-3. Reminds me of Patrick Willis.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I too am not overly sold on Ebron. Wouldn't complain but I would take Lewan and Donald over him.

I know there are concerns about Donald's size but he is absolutely explosive. Seriously impressive tape.

The guy from the SNY Giants blog has been pushing Ha Ha. Rolle a UFA after this year, Stevie with the injury uncertainty, Will Hill being Will Hill. I don't think it's completely far fetched.

I will say the most prototypical Giants pick (character, versatility, a bit off the radar) would be Zack Martin. Give me Lewan's athleticism over his but at the end of the day I won't be shocked if Martin is the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad