NFL: NFC playoff race

member 157595

Doh! Funny thing is I caught "Detroit being eliminated from the NFC South" just before I sent it out :laugh:

What exactly is wrong with that quoted statement? Detroit is eliminated from every division almost every year! :laugh:

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Next thing they should do is decrease the divisions from 8 to 4, so that there is far less of a chance that some awful division winner (such as this year's NFC East) gets a playoff spot and automatic home playoff game.

Who really wants to see some 6-10 team playing a home playoff game when some 10-6 team who could actually make a run may be left at home?

They could have 4 divisions and 2 conferences. Top 3 teams in each division gets a playoff spot. Best 4th place team gets a playoff spot. Best record in entire conference gets the first round bye.

Last edited:

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Next thing they should do is decrease the divisions from 8 to 4, so that there is far less of a chance that some awful division winner (such as this year's NFC East) gets a playoff spot and automatic home playoff game.

Who really wants to see some 6-10 team playing a home playoff game when some 10-6 team who could actually make a run may be left at home?

They could have 4 divisions and 2 conferences. Top 3 teams in each division gets a playoff spot. Best 4th place team gets a playoff spot. Best record in entire conference gets the first round bye.
I don’t hate this. Have you by chance taken a run at arranging the divisions?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I would just make it that if a division winner is 8-8 or worse then a team with a better record takes their spot and the top wild card gets the home game. It shouldn’t be a big ask that every playoff team wins more games than they lose.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I would just make it that if a division winner is 8-8 or worse then a team with a better record takes their spot and the top wild card gets the home game. It shouldn’t be a big ask that every playoff team wins more games than they lose.

I'd also amend this to better record getting the home game regardless.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
To be honest, I don't think 8-8 wild cards are going to be that rare with 7 playoff teams. It's possible you have one in the NFC this year, even with the horrendous NFC East taking a spot and boosting everyone else's win totals.

Last year Pittsburgh would have made it as the #7 seed at 8-8.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I don’t hate this. Have you by chance taken a run at arranging the divisions?
NFC would be easy just merge west with south and north with east, I’m fairly certain every team in the NFC south was in the NFC west at one point, even TB for a year back in the 80s

Problem with this is now you’re looking at a schedule where you’re playing 14 in division games, and how are the other two determined? Pretty much have to eliminate the wildcard at that point, the whole reason for the wildcard in the first place was to give good teams that didn’t win the division a playoff spot, now there’s griping because they aren’t getting home games.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
To be honest, I don't think 8-8 wild cards are going to be that rare with 7 playoff teams. It's possible you have one in the NFC this year, even with the horrendous NFC East taking a spot and boosting everyone else's win totals.

Last year Pittsburgh would have made it as the #7 seed at 8-8.
salary cap ensure that the cutoff for the WC will likely be around 9-7 with a #7 seed. I think the AFC this year it will take 10-6 to make the last WC spot. NFC, minimum at 9-7.

Teams have holes. Plus injuries will derail a season. Can't ever expect a SF run of injuries, but depending on who gets hurt, that could easily knock 2-3 wins off your record and put you out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Outlier years will happen where not enough teams were that good. In 2002, the NFC had 3 8-8 teams, 2 got in and both won.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
salary cap ensure that the cutoff for the WC will likely be around 9-7 with a #7 seed. I think the AFC this year it will take 10-6 to make the last WC spot. NFC, minimum at 9-7.

Teams have holes. Plus injuries will derail a season. Can't ever expect a SF run of injuries, but depending on who gets hurt, that could easily knock 2-3 wins off your record and put you out.

I did some research. Over the last 10 years 4 8-8 teams would have made the playoffs as a#7 seed. Again, that wouldn't be super rare. Although I suppose that extra spot being open could change the way the last week is played.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I did some research. Over the last 10 years 4 8-8 teams would have made the playoffs as a#7 seed. Again, that wouldn't be super rare. Although I suppose that extra spot being open could change the way the last week is played.
Or what teams opt to do at the trade deadline. But, hard to know for sure.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ehh i am not crying the blues an 8-8 Arizona team might miss over the NFC East team getting in as a division winner.

Now the NFC East team getting to host a round 1 game is absolute bullshit.

Reactions: OmniCube

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Ehh i am not crying the blues an 8-8 Arizona team might miss over the NFC East team getting in as a division winner.

Now the NFC East team getting to host a round 1 game is absolute bullshit.

Yeah that's rubbish. Division winner should be guaranteed a playoff spot, shouldn't get a home game with inferior W-L.

Reactions: OmniCube

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Division leaders
1. NO 10-2
2. GB 9-3
3. LAR 8-4
4. NYG 5-7

Wild Card teams
5. SEA 8-4
6. TB 7-5
7. MIN 6-6

IN THE HUNT
ARZ 6-6
CHI 5-7
DET 5-7
SF 5-7
WFT 5-7

Because the NFC Least exists:
PHI 3-8-1
DAL 3-9

Week 14's pivotal games:

ARZ @ NYG
MIN @ TB
WFT @ SF

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
AFTER WEEK 12: (x-clinched playoff spot)
1. x-New Orleans - 10-2
2. Green Bay - 9-3
3. LA Rams - 8-4 (Holds H2H tiebreaker over SEA)
4. NY Giants - 5-7 (Owns H2H tiebreaker over WSH)
5. Seattle - 8-4
6. Tampa Bay - 7-5
7. Minnesota - 6-6 (Holds Common Opponents tiebreaker over ARI)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Arizona - 6-6
9. Chicago 5-7 (Holds Common Opponents tiebreaker over DET) (Holds Conference Record tiebreaker over SF and WSH)
10. Detroit - 5-7 (Holds Conference Record tiebreaker over SF and WSH)
11. San Francisco - 5-7 (Holds Common Opponents Record over WSH)
12. Washington - 5-7 (Holds Conference Record tiebreaker over ATL)
13. Atlanta - 4-8 (Holds Divisional Record tiebreaker over CAR) (Eliminated from NFC South Contention)
14. Carolina - 4-8 (Eliminated from NFC South contention)
15. Philadelphia - 3-8-1
16. Dallas - 3-9

CLINCHING SCENARIOS
- New Orleans clinches the NFC South with a win or a TB loss
- Green Bay clinches the NFC North with a win and a MIN loss
- Green Bay clinches a playoff spot with a win (I know this contradicts what other places say, but I discount the possibility of ties, and without ties either GB passes TB for good when TB loses to MIN or GB wins the division when MIN beats TB). TB does hold the H2H tiebreaker, but at 10-6 there will necessarily be other teams in the 10-6 tiebreaker with better conference records that will allow GB to get through before the H2H comes into play.) TL;DR version: Without ties, GB clinches with just a win this week.

ELIMINATION SCENARIOS:
- Dallas is eliminated from the NFC East (and the playoffs) with a loss and WSH win
- Dallas is eliminated from the playoffs with a the above result and one of the following: a MIN win, CHI win, DET win, or ARI win

The following teams control their own destiny for a division title: NO, LAR, GB, NYG, SEA
- The NY Giants lose control of their own destiny in the NFC East with a loss and a WSH win.
- Washington gains control of their own destiny in the NFC East with a win and a NYG loss.

The following teams control their own destiny for a playoff spot: NO, SEA, GB, NYG*, LAR, TB, ARI, MIN (*-controls destiny for division title only)
- Tampa Bay loses control of their own destiny with a loss and a ARI win
- Arizona loses control of their own destiny with a loss
- Minnesota loses control of their own destiny with a loss and an ARI win
- Chicago gains control of their own destiny with a win, ARI loss, and MIN loss
- Detroit gains control of their own destiny with a win and 2 of the following: (1)TB loss, (2)ARI loss, or (3)a CHI AND MIN loss (yes I realize 1 and 3 are mutually exclusive)

Last edited:

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I absolutely want an NFC East team wild card especially with how the division is clowned on.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Sadly, I just think the Football Team has too many tough games ahead to have them run the table & get that last WC spot.

Yeah, their tiebreaker situation is not ideal either. Tampa Bay's the only team that would have a worse conference record in tiebreaker scenarios, and their strength of victory is not good even with the win over Pittsburgh...although I suppose the tough schedule coming in could remedy that a little.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
- Green Bay clinches a playoff spot with a win (I know this contradicts what other places say, but I discount the possibility of ties, and without ties either GB passes TB for good when TB loses to MIN or GB wins the division when MIN beats TB). TB does hold the H2H tiebreaker, but at 10-6 there will necessarily be other teams in the 10-6 tiebreaker with better conference records that will allow GB to get through before the H2H comes into play.) TL;DR version: Without ties, GB clinches with just a win this week.

If GB wins you can still keep GB out without using ties. Arizona would have to win the NFC West as the 3 way GB/TB/ARI tie would go to GB on common games with ARI after TB is removed using conference record. So it requires a 3 way NFC West tie at 10-6, that results in SEA and LAR taking WC spots 1 and 2 over GB/TB using SOV after they tie conf record with GB. TB would then win the 2 way tie with GB using the aforementioned h2h for 7th place

NFL Playoff Predictor - NFL 2020-2021 Season - Playoff Predictors

If we make ties not possible then the required results would be one of

1. GB Win + MIN Loss (Division clinch)
2. GB Win + ARI Loss (gives ARI 7 losses)
3. GB Win + SEA Win (playing an AFC team so a win means their conf record at 10-6 would be worse than GB)

No longer possible but

4. GB Win + LAR Loss

Would also have been sufficient as it would have forced LAR to beat SEA to create that 3 way tie NFC West at 10-6 and that would have meant ARI couldn't win the division in a 3 way 10-6 tie anymore as LAR would win it on 3 way h2h.

Reactions: misterchainsaw

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
If GB wins you can still keep GB out without using ties. Arizona would have to win the NFC West as the 3 way GB/TB/ARI tie would go to GB on common games with ARI after TB is removed using conference record. So it requires a 3 way NFC West tie at 10-6, that results in SEA and LAR taking WC spots 1 and 2 over GB/TB using SOV after they tie conf record with GB. TB would then win the 2 way tie with GB using the aforementioned h2h for 7th place

NFL Playoff Predictor - NFL 2020-2021 Season - Playoff Predictors

If we make ties not possible then the required results would be one of

1. GB Win + MIN Loss (Division clinch)
2. GB Win + ARI Loss (gives ARI 7 losses)
3. GB Win + SEA Win (playing an AFC team so a win means their conf record at 10-6 would be worse than GB)

No longer possible but

4. GB Win + LAR Loss

Would also have been sufficient as it would have forced LAR to beat SEA to create that 3 way tie NFC West at 10-6 and that would have meant ARI couldn't win the division in a 3 way 10-6 tie anymore as LAR would win it on 3 way h2h.
Eh I'm leaving it up. Seattle's not losing to the Jets :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad