NFL: NFC Playoff Picture

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Cowboys are still somehow alive. Can it happen??

The only game left on the schedule for them that seems to be a true test is Green Bay. Assuming Romo is healthy of course.

Buffalo in December won't be a treat. Game will matter for the bills. Upstate NY weather is funny. If its really cold or snowing I wouldn't side with Romo

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Cowboys are 2-7. There isn't one game that isn't a threat lol.

Especially when one of those games is against a presently 9-0 team

I hate to defend them but records in this league Are deceiving. They are only 2-7 because they missed their QB and top WR. They were in just about every game without Tony. I'm guessing it goes different with him. Carolina may be 9-0 but there's like one good win on that resume. The NFL is a lot about scheduling. I'll buy ne because well they were here last year and what not. I'll buy Cincinnati...they've been consistently good for a few years now. Though I don't trust Dalton in the playoffs. I have a really hard time based off of last year and before that, that the panthers are really this good. It makes about zero sense. Its not like outside of Norman their roster got better this off season. You could argue it actually got worse.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I hate to defend them but records in this league Are deceiving. They are only 2-7 because they missed their QB and top WR. They were in just about every game without Tony. I'm guessing it goes different with him. Carolina may be 9-0 but there's like one good win on that resume. The NFL is a lot about scheduling. I'll buy ne because well they were here last year and what not. I'll buy Cincinnati...they've been consistently good for a few years now. Though I don't trust Dalton in the playoffs. I have a really hard time based off of last year and before that, that the panthers are really this good. It makes about zero sense. Its not like outside of Norman their roster got better this off season. You could argue it actually got worse.

Quoting so WTF will see this.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
My brother (a Giants fan) thinks Dallas is going to win the division.

I hate the NFC East so much. Someone I went to high school with years ago and I have this running joke that the NFC East is the "Greatest Division in Sports" because the media loves all four teams, they are always in the national doubleheader game or primetime games, and they suck. I hope the NFC East winner is below .500 and gets blown out in their "well deserved" home playoff game.

Atlanta's slump is not surprising. Their wins outside of their blowout of Houston have not been impressive at all. Freeman has been amazing for them (I liked him as a sleeper in last year's draft for what it's worth), and Julio is Julio, but that's all they have. Their defense sucks, and their coaching is below average in my opinion. I think they'll blow their playoff position pretty easily. They lost to Blaine Gabbert of all people. They still have to play Carolina twice and Minnesota.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Quoting so WTF will see this.

I hate you so much for this :sarcasm:

I think the reason some people still don't buy Carolina (and SE is not alone here, though the group is dwindling) is because they are the only team in the league that runs more than they pass. Despite them being the 3rd highest scoring offense, no one notices because they aren't flashy. But they are methodical, with a great defense, and that works too. This leads to closer scores on the scoreboard (despite the games not really being close) and casual fans who aren't paying attention will continue to sleep on them.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
atlanta's slump is not surprising. Their wins outside of their blowout of houston have not been impressive at all. Freeman has been amazing for them (i liked him as a sleeper in last year's draft for what it's worth), and julio is julio, but that's all they have. Their defense sucks, and their coaching is below average in my opinion. I think they'll blow their playoff position pretty easily. They lost to blaine gabbert of all people. They still have to play carolina twice and minnesota.

They'll be fine, 10-6 worst case.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

The Cowboys would have a better record yes, but they wouldn't be so much better that these games wouldn't be a threat. Shoot, if Eli Manning wasn't colossally stupid, they'd be 1-8.

Are they a good team with Romo back? Yes. Are they going to win out and win the division? LOL no.

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
The only thing on the Panthers roster that got worse was KB going down.

Norman was a great surprise for our D, but our D coming into this season was going to be top ranked. Getting CJ back will be a big boost.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
RagShark, Atlanta lost more because of Sf's defense and their coaches conservative playcalling late, though Gabbert was better than expected.

If Gabbert is as decisive this weekend as he was against Atl, I could see Sf actually scoring a td vs Sea for once.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I hate you so much for this :sarcasm:

I think the reason some people still don't buy Carolina (and SE is not alone here, though the group is dwindling) is because they are the only team in the league that runs more than they pass. Despite them being the 3rd highest scoring offense, no one notices because they aren't flashy. But they are methodical, with a great defense, and that works too. This leads to closer scores on the scoreboard (despite the games not really being close) and casual fans who aren't paying attention will continue to sleep on them.

Although I am one of those people who never runs the ball on Madden(except for a rare QB rush or two a game) that doesn't bother me. That division though has been bad for awhile. They are either all down or one is up and the rest aren't good. I'm a big proponent of eliminating divisions in pro sports. They have long outlasted their purpose.

*Bob Richards*

Its been 4 years. The Giants will go 6-10 and win the Super Bowl.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

You are so salty I feel my inner Gandhi raging within.

Did you know that the Arizona Cardinals currently have zero wins against teams with a winning record?

Did you know that the Minnesota Vikings currently have zero wins against teams with a winning record?

Did you know that the Green Bay Packers currently have zero wins against teams with a winning record?

Did you know that the Atlanta Falcons currently have zero wins against teams with a winning record?

Your argument is terrible in a vacuum. It's flat out incorrect, and also circular. The Panthers play teams with losing records. Why do they have losing records? Because they play good teams (like the Panthers). Then you try to take it and show that, because the Panthers have one win against a "good" team, they are not a "threat" to the Cowboys.

(BTW, you cite the Cowboys missing Dez Bryant as a reason, conveniently forgetting that the Panthers are without their #1 Wide Receiver for the rest of the year. M'kay)

The Panthers have an elite run offense and an elite pass defense. They are a "threat" to any team in this League. If you want to say they are not a "threat" to a team with all of 2 wins this season, that's fine, but please bring an argument so that you demonstrate you know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Panthers have only 1 good win? I'd call Seattle and Green Bay both good wins, despite Green Bay playing badly right now, and Seattle under .500

Philly and Indy were both solid teams last year as well, they're schedule hasn't been all that strong, especially to start but lets not act like they're 9-0 because they've played 9 games against the AFC South. That 4 game stretch they had after they came out of their bye week was pretty impressive, as a Panthers fan I was expecting 2-2 at best.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Playoff team strengths of schedule.

1. IND (.583)
2. BUF (.536)
3. PIT (.495)
4. NE (.494)
5. GB (.481)
6. NYG (.473)
7. CAR (.429)
8. DEN (.427)
9. MIN (.395)
10. CIN (.392)
11. ATL (.381)
12. ARI (.369)

When looking at strength of victory, only the Patriots and Colts are better (in other words, everyone who fell below Carolina is losing to their tougher opponents).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Although I am one of those people who never runs the ball on Madden(except for a rare QB rush or two a game) that doesn't bother me. That division though has been bad for awhile. They are either all down or one is up and the rest aren't good. I'm a big proponent of eliminating divisions in pro sports. They have long outlasted their purpose.

the NFC South has been bad for a while? News to me, they were bad last year, 2 years ago they had 2 playoff teams, the tied 3rd, and tied 6th best records in the NFL, the year before that the tied best team, the year before that 2nd best and 2 playoff teams, the year before that 2 playoff teams, 2nd and tied 5th best, year before that tied best team in the NFL, the year before that every team was 8-8 or better, 2nd best team, 2 playoff teams.

I mean I get the NFC South was a brutal division last year(which still managed a playoff win), but previous to that it's been fairly strong, sending lots of teams to the playoffs. Taking plenty of the byes.

And I know you're going to reply by saying it's because they always have a really bad team or 2 on bottom(Tampa lately), but pretty much every division in football has a really bad team besides a couple exceptions. But the NFC South has a +32 record from 2008-2013, so besides for a really awful group across the board last year it's been a really solid division. The only time the NFC South division winner didn't get a bye over that 6 year period they were tied for the 2nd bye and lost the tiebreaker.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Playoff team strengths of schedule.

1. IND (.583)
2. BUF (.536)
3. PIT (.495)
4. NE (.494)
5. GB (.481)
6. NYG (.473)
7. CAR (.429)
8. DEN (.427)
9. MIN (.395)
10. CIN (.392)
11. ATL (.381)
12. ARI (.369)

When looking at strength of victory, only the Patriots and Colts are better (in other words, everyone who fell below Carolina is losing to their tougher opponents).
I appreciate the info. I also don't feel Panthers fans need to justify their 9-0 record.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Carolina was 12-4 two seasons ago. It would seem the 7-8-1 record from last season was more of the outlier. They've played .700 football for two and a half seasons. That's a pretty big sample size.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
the NFC South has been bad for a while? News to me, they were bad last year, 2 years ago they had 2 playoff teams, the tied 3rd, and tied 6th best records in the NFL, the year before that the tied best team, the year before that 2nd best and 2 playoff teams, the year before that 2 playoff teams, 2nd and tied 5th best, year before that tied best team in the NFL, the year before that every team was 8-8 or better, 2nd best team, 2 playoff teams.

I mean I get the NFC South was a brutal division last year(which still managed a playoff win), but previous to that it's been fairly strong, sending lots of teams to the playoffs. Taking plenty of the byes.

And I know you're going to reply by saying it's because they always have a really bad team or 2 on bottom(Tampa lately), but pretty much every division in football has a really bad team besides a couple exceptions. But the NFC South has a +32 record from 2008-2013, so besides for a really awful group across the board last year it's been a really solid division. The only time the NFC South division winner didn't get a bye over that 6 year period they were tied for the 2nd bye and lost the tiebreaker.

The NFC as a whole has been weak for years for the most part. From an overall standpoint. This year isn't really any different. Atlanta can thank the fact they played the NFC east and AFC South for why they are above .500 otherwise it'd be 5 decent teams and the rest pretty weak. But Atlanta is starting to slip.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Carolina was 12-4 two seasons ago. It would seem the 7-8-1 record from last season was more of the outlier. They've played .700 football for two and a half seasons. That's a pretty big sample size.

If you compare this to other sports NFL schedules are not created equal for a team even year to year. Carolina has a weak schedule this year had a tougher one last year. You see teams come out of nowhere every year then in the next year they don't keep it on. I mean they don't play in a good division and look what you get this year...NFC east and AFC south. Not exactly a bunch of good teams there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad