Next years team

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
He's having a really solid regular season though. Last year, he had some prolonged stretches of very poor play, which he hasn't really had this year, which seemed to make tensions pretty high. I don't think a bad playoff performance would put him in the crosshairs. Lucic, on the other hand...

I disagree. Lucic has stepped it up in the playoffs. Marchand has been a no show for 3 stright years.

after the cup run Marchand has played 41 playoff games and has 5 goals and 10 assists over that three year period. so total 15 points

Lucic in the same 41 games 11 goals 18 assists - so total 29 points.

Lucic has been twice the player point wise in the playoffs since we won the cup.

Add to that Lucic leading the team to the game 7 comeback against the Leafs while marchand takes a stupid game 7 penalty spraying ice into Prices face to start the game and I would say marchand is and should be much more in the crosshairs then Lucic.

regular season means squat if you pull a no show when it counts.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I disagree. Lucic has stepped it up in the playoffs. Marchand has been a no show for 3 stright years.

after the cup run Marchand has played 41 playoff games and has 5 goals and 10 assists over that three year period. so total 15 points

Lucic in the same 41 games 11 goals 18 assists - so total 29 points.

Lucic has been twice the player point wise in the playoffs since we won the cup.

Add to that Lucic leading the team to the game 7 comeback against the Leafs while marchand takes a stupid game 7 penalty spraying ice into Prices face to start the game and I would say marchand is and should be much more in the crosshairs then Lucic.

regular season means squat if you pull a no show when it counts.

I thought Marchand was one of the best Bruins in the middle rounds of the 2013 playoffs.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I thought Marchand was one of the best Bruins in the middle rounds of the 2013 playoffs.

again I disagree. The guy has 5 goals over the past 41 playoff games.

in the middle rounds of 2013 he had one goal in each of games 1 & 2 agsinst the Rangers.

then in the next round against Pens he had 2 goals in game 2.

so 4 out of his 5 goals over 41 games game in 3 games none of them deciding games.

then in the SCF he pulled 0-0 and a minus 3 over 6 games.

that rangers series was dominated by our young D men and they were the best Bruisn.

the Pen's series was dominated by Bergy and out D shutting down the Pens offense.

Marchand was not one of the best players in either of the middle rounds in 2013 in my opinion.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
hard to take you seriously when you make statements like these.

I don't care if you do or if you don't.

They've played Boston tougher since the post season last year. They were more physical in that series as well as the games this year.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I'll take a shot at this...

Lucic-Krejci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Smith-Soderberg-Kassian
Nolan/Andreoff-Talbot-Ferlin

If we can sign Soderberg for a reasonable price I'd like to see them use Spooner, Koko and Loui as trade bait. If Spooner finishes strong I could see him regaining some value. Also try to unload Kelly and let paille and Campbell walk.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
again I disagree. The guy has 5 goals over the past 41 playoff games.

in the middle rounds of 2013 he had one goal in each of games 1 & 2 agsinst the Rangers.

then in the next round against Pens he had 2 goals in game 2.

so 4 out of his 5 goals over 41 games game in 3 games none of them deciding games.

then in the SCF he pulled 0-0 and a minus 3 over 6 games.

that rangers series was dominated by our young D men and they were the best Bruisn.

the Pen's series was dominated by Bergy and out D shutting down the Pens offense.

Marchand was not one of the best players in either of the middle rounds in 2013 in my opinion.

I'm not saying he's been good overall, but you're crazy if you want to try to take away what he did vs. the Rags and Pens. 9 GP - 4 G, 6 A, 10 P (including points in 7 of 9 games and 3 multi-point games), +7, OT winner in game 1 vs. the Rangers, 2 goals in the huge swing game in game 2 vs. the Pens (including the infamous trolling Cooke goal), set up Bergy's OT winner in game 3, AND set up McQuaid for the only goal in the series clinching game. Seriously, what the **** else did you want him to do to get recognition as one of the best Bruins in those series? You can stick to your point of him not being good overall in the playoffs without resorting to BS about his play in those series, because the guy was undeniably one of the best players for those 9 games.

Thing with Marchand is that he goes on long stretches of good, and long stretches of bad. With Looch, you're getting wildly inconsistent efforts game to game if you're lucky. And with Marchand, you're always going to have the PK and defensive play. When Lucic is off, he gives you nothing.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I'll take a shot at this...

Lucic-Krejci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Smith-Soderberg-Kassian
Nolan/Andreoff-Talbot-Ferlin

If we can sign Soderberg for a reasonable price I'd like to see them use Spooner, Koko and Loui as trade bait. If Spooner finishes strong I could see him regaining some value. Also try to unload Kelly and let paille and Campbell walk.

Who is Nolan? Jordan Nolan who was recently extended by LA for the next 3 years and isn't going anywhere in the immediate future? Or someone else?

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I don't care if you do or if you don't.

They've played Boston tougher since the post season last year. They were more physical in that series as well as the games this year.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Still think Boston with Chara, Lucic, McQuaid, Miller have a little more toughness then the Habs. Agree were not the Bruins of old and the Habs are not complete smurfs but I still think we have a better overall team toughness then the Scabs.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Lucic-Krejci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Smith-Spooner-Stewart(Veteran piece)
Talbot-Kelly-Ferlin

Chara-Hamilton
Morrow-Top 4 RH D
Krug-McQuaid
Miller

I think McQuaid is an important FA to sign. He is this teams identity, definitely need him.
Eriksson is most likely dealt at the draft. Give Krug his money...He's a game changer on the backend, a need for this team.
Morrow or Bartkowski in the top 4 next season, doesn't matter. Trade Seidenberg, he's clearly not a top 4 D anymore, legs are completely shot.
I'd love to sign Soderberg, depending on my money.

Needs: Sign or trade for a top 4 defensemen. Sign a veteran player like Stewart for the 3rd line. The money situation is looking good with all these young guys in the lineup. Future is bright ladies and gentlemen.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I'm not saying he's been good overall, but you're crazy if you want to try to take away what he did vs. the Rags and Pens. 9 GP - 4 G, 6 A, 10 P (including points in 7 of 9 games and 3 multi-point games), +7, OT winner in game 1 vs. the Rangers, 2 goals in the huge swing game in game 2 vs. the Pens (including the infamous trolling Cooke goal), set up Bergy's OT winner in game 3, AND set up McQuaid for the only goal in the series clinching game. Seriously, what the **** else did you want him to do to get recognition as one of the best Bruins in those series? You can stick to your point of him not being good overall in the playoffs without resorting to BS about his play in those series, because the guy was undeniably one of the best players for those 9 games.

Thing with Marchand is that he goes on long stretches of good, and long stretches of bad. With Looch, you're getting wildly inconsistent efforts game to game if you're lucky. And with Marchand, you're always going to have the PK and defensive play. When Lucic is off, he gives you nothing.

ok fair enougha nd you make good points no need to start calling me crazy (even though I am) and resorting to your full of BS type comments. I think he was good in the first couple of games in teh rangers series but I wouldn't say he was one of the best Bruins in that series. That series was dominated by the Bruins young D men and even Redden was a factor by getting a goal and assist in game 1.

the best players in that series were the D in my opinon.

as for the Pens series yes he had some good moments as you pointed out and yes that cooke trolling play was something I will remember for ever but again if I am picking the best players in that series he falls behind Bergy, Chara and the other D that shut down Crosby and the rest of the Pens high power offense.

Now that does not mean I was saying he was bad in the two series he just in my opnion was not one of the Best players in either series (altough you can argue for the Pens a bit). However my original point stands in regards to him vs. Lucic. Lucic has doubled Marchand production over the past 3 playoffs for the B's and has been a much more dominate player when needed.

If I am the GM and marchand pulls a no show for the 4th stright year I look to move him if hte return is right. He is not the same player he was in 2011. He can't fly under the refs radar and troll other players like he did in 2011. He gets dumb penalties like the icing of Price in a very important game 7 against the habs to set the tone of the game.

Thats not to say Lucic dosent have to step it up come playoff time but in my opinion marchand has been slacking the past 3 years and has more to prove at this point that 2011 wasen't a one hit wonder.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Who is Nolan? Jordan Nolan who was recently extended by LA for the next 3 years and isn't going anywhere in the immediate future? Or someone else?

Yep Jordan Nolan. Doubtful he gets moved but he was a healthy scratch for much of the first half of the year and it's not like he's a cornerstone player for the Kings. Locking him up for the next three years for less than a million per was a smart move by the Kings. Increases his value if they do move him. I Would like him or Andreoff in a 4th line role as a young hitter/ fighter with some skill. Andreoff would most likely be the more available one. And I think he has higher offensive potential.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Milan Lucic - David Krejci - James van Riemsdyk
Brad Marchand - Patrice Bergeron - David Pastrnak
Loui Eriksson - Ryan Spooner - Brett Connolly
Brian Ferlin - Max Talbot - Matt Martin

Dougie Hamilton - Zdeno Chara
Torey Krug - Joe Morrow
Adam McQuaid - Adam Larsson

Rask
Subban

I really don't know...

I started out this season on a very opposite end of how you viewed this Bruins team, but now after watching the Preds, Jets, and Islanders this season I want more and more what you do. I'm sick of watching this team pushed around and almost seem to lack a back bone and heart when it comes down to it.

That being said I think it's hard to get a guy like Larsson or van Reimsdyk with out a decent over payment.

Would love to see them add some guys via trade or draft that have a mean side to them. Don't have to fight every other game, just play hard and hit. Show some emotion.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
ok fair enougha nd you make good points no need to start calling me crazy (even though I am) and resorting to your full of BS type comments. I think he was good in the first couple of games in teh rangers series but I wouldn't say he was one of the best Bruins in that series. That series was dominated by the Bruins young D men and even Redden was a factor by getting a goal and assist in game 1.

the best players in that series were the D in my opinon.

as for the Pens series yes he had some good moments as you pointed out and yes that cooke trolling play was something I will remember for ever but again if I am picking the best players in that series he falls behind Bergy, Chara and the other D that shut down Crosby and the rest of the Pens high power offense.

Now that does not mean I was saying he was bad in the two series he just in my opnion was not one of the Best players in either series (altough you can argue for the Pens a bit). However my original point stands in regards to him vs. Lucic. Lucic has doubled Marchand production over the past 3 playoffs for the B's and has been a much more dominate player when needed.

If I am the GM and marchand pulls a no show for the 4th stright year I look to move him if hte return is right. He is not the same player he was in 2011. He can't fly under the refs radar and troll other players like he did in 2011. He gets dumb penalties like the icing of Price in a very important game 7 against the habs to set the tone of the game.

Thats not to say Lucic dosent have to step it up come playoff time but in my opinion marchand has been slacking the past 3 years and has more to prove at this point that 2011 wasen't a one hit wonder.

Sorry, that ended up sounding a lot more angry than I thought it would.

I think when it comes to Marchand vs. Lucic, they both have consistency issues, but Lucic's consistency issues are more drastic, and when both players are at their worst, I'm taking Marchand. Lucic at his best might be better, but that is just SO rare nowadays.

Marchand at his worst still kills penalties well and just tries to do too much with the puck on his stick. Yeah, there are some bad penalties in there as well, but nothing like Lucic gives you. Lucic at his worst completely loses his composure and is a threat to give the other team a 5 minute PP. He also is just completely invisible on offense, in addition to his usual sub-par D-play.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Sorry, that ended up sounding a lot more angry than I thought it would.

I think when it comes to Marchand vs. Lucic, they both have consistency issues, but Lucic's consistency issues are more drastic, and when both players are at their worst, I'm taking Marchand. Lucic at his best might be better, but that is just SO rare nowadays.

Marchand at his worst still kills penalties well and just tries to do too much with the puck on his stick. Yeah, there are some bad penalties in there as well, but nothing like Lucic gives you. Lucic at his worst completely loses his composure and is a threat to give the other team a 5 minute PP. He also is just completely invisible on offense, in addition to his usual sub-par D-play.

again all valid points and when you are talking regular season I am very much in agreement with you. My issue with Marchand is 100% playoffs and how he has been a shell of what he was in 2011 come playoff time. Lucic still seems to step it up at least to the point of doubling Marchands output in the playoffs.

Lucic has been able to keep his cool in the playoffs for the past three years for the most part and honestly I am not sure that has helped us. When he was that guy that would snap in 2011 and sucker punch someone at the end of the game like in the tampa series that is when Lucic was at his best because other players respected/were afraid of him snapping.

marchand in 2011 was unreal and one of our best guys and someone who seemed to change the game every time he jumped over the boards. He was either scoring, making a boarder line play but not getting called for it or 100% trolling someone by punching them in the face 20-25 times and getting the stars off their game. I just have not seen him do that since 2011.

Yes the cooke trolling goal was awesome but I would rather see Crosby crying as marchand skates away after doing something to piss him off.

I guess I just feel that since the refs caught on to marchand that he is not as effective at changing the tone of a game and getting the other team off their game. when you add to that 5 goals over a 41 game playoff span that really really hurts coming from arguably your most gifted scoring winger. I want the old marchand back. :cry:

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
The only questions I have concern the 4th line.

I think Pastrnak is going to be that top line winger we need. If Soda leaves Spooner can take his place. I think Morrow is going to get a chance to be the top4 PMD we need, and I think Miller will take McQuaid's spot in the bottom pair.

But a 4th line of Talbot-Kelly-Whoever is going to cost $6m. That's a problem.

I also think we could get a lot of our identity back if we rebuilt the 4th line the right way. Ideally, I'd like to see speed/energy, hitting and some fisticuff-moxie injected into that trio. Sadly, if they want to keep the cost down they probably will have to trade for those pieces and I've completely (COMPLETLEY) lost faith in Chiarelli to acquire what he needs via trade.

Agree fully that our 4th line should be a nice mix of speed/energy/hitting and fistcuffs as you have stated.
This element is as important to our teams identity as anything else this team needs in terms of atop 3/4 D man and the natural goals scorer for the 1st line.
In hopes that next year management will address the missing pieces to our puzzle and I very much want to be hopeful that this issues on the 4th line along with the other issues will be attended too and get this team back on track where it should be at as a unit.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I guess we'll agree to disagree. Still think Boston with Chara, Lucic, McQuaid, Miller have a little more toughness then the Habs. Agree were not the Bruins of old and the Habs are not complete smurfs but I still think we have a better overall team toughness then the Scabs.

On paper, yeah, probably.

Montreal has used their toughness against Boston more than Boston has used it against Montreal.
Weise pounds Campbell, Beaulieu KO's Fraser in one game while the Bruins do absolutely nothing other than lay down to the Habs. This whole year the Habs basically laughed in the Bruins face.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
On paper, yeah, probably.

Montreal has used their toughness against Boston more than Boston has used it against Montreal.
Weise pounds Campbell, Beaulieu KO's Fraser in one game while the Bruins do absolutely nothing other than lay down to the Habs. This whole year the Habs basically laughed in the Bruins face.

Even on paper the Habs are tougher. The Bruins are one of the smallest team in the league.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So what kind of contract are we going to be looking at for Connolly now? Something similar to what Smith/Krug got this year?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Haggs was on 98.5 this morning and mentioned a 4th line next year that may consist of Paille-Kelly-Talbot. So basically a 5mil 4th line. ......... :shakehead: :help:

It's better than Kelly on the third line. Kelly likely wouldn't waive so we are stuck with him and his dollars for next year. Hopefully they don't re up him after that. Paille I don't really understand but they love the old guard so who knows

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's better than Kelly on the third line. Kelly likely wouldn't waive so we are stuck with him and his dollars for next year. Hopefully they don't re up him after that. Paille I don't really understand but they love the old guard so who knows

I'm quite sure Kelly's no trade clause loosens up a good bit next year. That is how they are all structured they start restrictive and get less so near the end. So I have no doubt Boston could move Kelly if they want to.

I have doubts they will want to, but maybe with Talbot around they will decide to make a move

So I will take a stab

Lucic/Krejci/Connolly
Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta
Smith/Spooner/ (strong defensive winger with speed and size)
Lindblad/Talbot/Ferlin (really like this line)

Chara/Hamilton
Seidenberg/Bart (They may replace Bart with an Eriksson deal, but won't get better for a better price in UFA)
Miller/Krug
Trotman/Morrow battle out for the 7th spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad