Next year's starting goalie

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
That way Blake does with Spence what he is doing with Bjornfot, right now.
He lets guys develop in the AHL as much as possible allowing them to be extended at a low cost right when the guys waiver protection expires.
This keeps the salaries down and allows players maximum time to develop on both sides of the puck and earn their way past the McLLelan toll bridge of trust to varying degrees.
Worked well with Kempe and Vilardi.
Do you hear what you even say? Blake was hired in summer of 2017. Kempe played 25 games the season before Blake was hired as the GM with Lombardi the GM. Ever since Blake was hired as the GM (2017-2018 season), Kempe has been a FT NHL player. He played 81 games in Blake's first two seasons as a GM.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Do you hear what you even say? Blake was hired in summer of 2017. Kempe played 25 games the season before Blake was hired as the GM with Lombardi the GM. Ever since Blake was hired as the GM (2017-2018 season), Kempe has been a FT NHL player. He played 81 games in Blake's first two seasons as a GM.
People keep citing Kempe as evidence that things work.

But no org can wait 7+ years for all their picks to hit. This has been stated multiple times. Players start getting waiver eligility by year 5 most of the time. So, you have a very good chance of losing players on account of them breaking out later.

Especially if you're trading away your quality picks to the degree the Kings trade them away.

Kempe will be 27 at the start of next season. Not all players are built like Kopitar. He's the same age as Petersen when his numbers started to take a dive. No, I'm not saying he's built like Cal either, mind you.

Your window of contention with your draft picks becomes extremely narrow if the plan is to give them all until the age of 25 or 26. Your core young players largely should be settled into the role they're going to play by 23: before waiver eligibility, before hitting their peak, and before all the vets who spend their life with the org go out to pasture.

Reactions: YAYSAY and Mattias

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Ok, who is you recommendation?

I'd probably go after a backup goalie that has a good season & may not be re-signed by his team. A legit 5+ million starter is a bit much for the King's cap. It could be fit, but would take some extra moves. Asks for Heart, Hellebuyck, Gibson are really high right now.

Basically a guy in the 2-3 million range for a couple years that has a shot at growing into a starter. Like Korpisalo. Only problem there is he doesn't seem to want to sign right now. May change later.

Flames, Wild, Bruins are teams to start with. Looking for cheap asset wise & cheap with regards to the cap.

Who I want doesn't really matter. It will come down to a target of opportunity.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I won't worry too much about a starting goalie. The team will be 10x better next year between the pipes from the Cal - Quick disaster. Sign a stop gap, 1 year 1B and see where it goes. We'll have around 25-30 million next summer to figure a lot of things out. New coach, maybe a new GM(wishful thinking) and we'll have some assets and space to make the next moves next summer.

Who even thought Adin Hill will be 1 win away from a cup. Get the D and size issue figured out first.

Reactions: jgs

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
I won't worry too much about a starting goalie. The team will be 10x better next year between the pipes from the Cal - Quick disaster. Sign a stop gap, 1 year 1B and see where it goes. We'll have around 25-30 million next summer to figure a lot of things out. New coach, maybe a new GM(wishful thinking) and we'll have some assets and space to make the next moves next summer.

Who even thought Adin Hill will be 1 win away from a cup. Get the D and size issue figured out first.
They mentioned this in game two about how the Knights don't need a top notch goaltender because the team in front plays very sound and blocks shots and boxes out great due to the size of they're d-men. They specifically stated that even Quick had better numbers than he did in LA.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
People keep citing Kempe as evidence that things work.

But no org can wait 7+ years for all their picks to hit. This has been stated multiple times. Players start getting waiver eligility by year 5 most of the time. So, you have a very good chance of losing players on account of them breaking out later.

Especially if you're trading away your quality picks to the degree the Kings trade them away.

Kempe will be 27 at the start of next season. Not all players are built like Kopitar. He's the same age as Petersen when his numbers started to take a dive. No, I'm not saying he's built like Cal either, mind you.

Your window of contention with your draft picks becomes extremely narrow if the plan is to give them all until the age of 25 or 26. Your core young players largely should be settled into the role they're going to play by 23: before waiver eligibility, before hitting their peak, and before all the vets who spend their life with the org go out to pasture.
If its been stated multiple times, isn't that group think?
I think you trade them when they are expiring and pending UFA.
Otherwise you made your bed and unless you have a chance to do something special like Fiala, you hold em until then.
I am sure Blakes getting many offfers for Kempe, Vilardi, and even Byfield for not much in return because he is trending up as effective top 6 , stats will increase if he is kept on L1.

Kind of an aside but I thought it was kind of funny that it only took edmonton what, 3 games to find a major glitch in Korpi? Those mid-outside-circle shots?
Mostly through a screen or a double , or a triple screen of big Edmonton bodies and smaller King ones.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I'd probably go after a backup goalie that has a good season & may not be re-signed by his team. A legit 5+ million starter is a bit much for the King's cap. It could be fit, but would take some extra moves. Asks for Heart, Hellebuyck, Gibson are really high right now.

Basically a guy in the 2-3 million range for a couple years that has a shot at growing into a starter. Like Korpisalo. Only problem there is he doesn't seem to want to sign right now. May change later.

Flames, Wild, Bruins are teams to start with. Looking for cheap asset wise & cheap with regards to the cap.

Who I want doesn't really matter. It will come down to a target of opportunity.
If you paying $2 or 4 you only gotta pay 1 mil more for Korpi.
He is younger than most of those guys and just entering his prime.
I think Blake ends up paying Korpi, for those reasons and it also makes him look a lot better on the original deadline trade.

Last edited:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
If you paying $2 or 4 you only gotta pay 1 mil more for Korpi.
He is younger than most of those guys and just entering his prime.
I think Blake ends up paying Korpi, for those reasons and it also makes him look a lot better on the original deadline trade.
I think Blake will wait til Kopitars contact drops after this up coming season. I could see Blake signing a cheap back up for 1 year very quickly.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
They mentioned this in game two about how the Knights don't need a top notch goaltender because the team in front plays very sound and blocks shots and boxes out great due to the size of they're d-men. They specifically stated that even Quick had better numbers than he did in LA.

That's the problem with how Blake built this team, went for speed and speed only. The team needs to play fast but in the playoffs we can't have Lizotte being bullied all over the ice. We got to get bigger bodies that can play at a high tempo and D men that can clear the crease.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Ok, who is you recommendation?

Linus Ullmark could be a good target. He's not making a huge amount, and Boston needs cheap forwards, of which the Kings have in abundance. Boston also needs cap relief I could see something centered around:

Rasmus Kupari + Viktor Arvidsson (50% retained) +? for Linus Ullmark

Ullmark is coming off of a Vezina-quality season and still in his prime. Would be a good get and form an excellent tandem with Copley.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
i know I was pumping his tires earlier in the year, but Joey Daccord is a UFA. Seattle still has Drieger and Grubauer under contract. So not sure they will re sign him. Guy has played lights out this season in the AHL, and is on the verge of a Cup here for the Firebirds. I said it before guys got NHL goalie swagger and really reminds me of Quickie as far as attitude and work ethic.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Linus Ullmark could be a good target. He's not making a huge amount, and Boston needs cheap forwards, of which the Kings have in abundance. Boston also needs cap relief I could see something centered around:

Ullmark is coming off of a Vezina-quality season and still in his prime. Would be a good get and form an excellent tandem with Copley.
I get it but I want to hold Kupari.
He plays pretty good defense compared to other young King forwards, he is good in the dot and was assigned a spot on the PK.
I see him starting as the L4 C , but he should get a chance to play further up if there are injuries.
I feel he could break out.
Would rather sign Korpi for like a mil cheaper and not give anything up

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Would make more sense if it was a 3 team trade where someone like Chicago retains salary on Ullmark in exchange for a draft pick.

Joe Haggerty, who's one of the main reporters following the Bruins (from what I can tell), says he thinks Ullmark is gone and discusses his value. He's very bearish on the return Boston will get for him:

A 2nd round pick and a B prospect? I can't imagine his value is that low.

Reactions: lumbergh

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
A 2nd round pick and a B prospect? I can't imagine his value is that low.
After accounting for goalies generally getting less than goalies, I'd imagine it's due to Boston having Swayman who's 5.5 years younger and a pending RFA while being ready to be the guy. With Boston's cap issues, Boston may be forced into it

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
That's the problem with how Blake built this team, went for speed and speed only. The team needs to play fast but in the playoffs we can't have Lizotte being bullied all over the ice. We got to get bigger bodies that can play at a high tempo and D men that can clear the crease.
As much as I like the Kings, they are not built for the Playoffs. Last Year the Oilers rag dolled them, yes they took the Oilers to 7 games but in the end they lost, This year, the Kings size was even more of a problem. They get push around too easy and they cannot box out in front of the net because they don't have the size and muscle to do so. The other issue is the Kings don't stand up for each other. Look at Tkachuk, he nailed Eichel with a hit I was surprised he got up from and then Next Game Kolasar nails Tkachuk with a clean hard hit which injured Tkachuk, That is standing up for your team mate. When have the Kings done this. Kings are a good regular season team but not playoff built.

Kingnut

Jul 17, 2013

I posted the contract for Cal on LGK. My exact words were, "Im not sold on Cal" and later stated rather have Adin Hill. Not to say that I thought he was the end all be all, but the reason why i was not sold on Cal was his mental game (Soft, not like Quick). Hill was mentally stronger and really filled the net.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Kupari was also a defensive liability, and didn't he go over 40+ games without a goal? He needs to seriously work on his game, both with and without the puck.

He's another enigma on the is team. He has a great shot, has size, has speed yet he can't seem to use all three at the same time. You see him score a great goal, then nothing for 25 games.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
As much as I like the Kings, they are not built for the Playoffs. Last Year the Oilers rag dolled them, yes they took the Oilers to 7 games but in the end they lost, This year, the Kings size was even more of a problem. They get push around too easy and they cannot box out in front of the net because they don't have the size and muscle to do so. The other issue is the Kings don't stand up for each other. Look at Tkachuk, he nailed Eichel with a hit I was surprised he got up from and then Next Game Kolasar nails Tkachuk with a clean hard hit which injured Tkachuk, That is standing up for your team mate. When have the Kings done this. Kings are a good regular season team but not playoff built.

When you can't kill penalties it really limits your retaliation and push back. When Nurse slash doughty twice and he didn't respond, you know if Drew slashed him back, it's 2 for slashing, nothing on Nurse. Boom down another goal.

illegal_stick

Nov 27, 2005
The more amazing thing to me re:Korpisalo is that some Kings fans STILL want to re-sign him. He was completely exposed and couldn't adjust. I'd blame the coach for not pulling him, but like him I thought - he'll figure it out. He didn't. Would be very disappointed to see him in a Kings uniform again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad