Next year's starting goalie

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Feels like he's assuming no other contract gets moved based on how much money he thinks is available for a goalie. Would rather spend an extra .5-2mil for a Korpi/Jarry/Hill than hope a cheaper guy + Copley can work
Seems like if the Kings were trying to re-sign Korpisalo, we would have heard some grumblings about it by now. But there's been nothing.

The Kings might be trying to go big. We know they talked to Nashville about Saros. Ullmark and Helleybuck might be out there. Would have to move a lot of salary and assets though.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Seems like if the Kings were trying to re-sign Korpisalo, we would have heard some grumblings about it by now. But there's been nothing.

The Kings might be trying to go big. We know they talked to Nashville about Saros. Ullmark and Helleybuck might be out there. Would have to move a lot of salary and assets though.
That's fair, could be figuring out options first with cap (however with today's trade coming out of nowhere, could be hid well too). But based on what Mayor said to assume no Korpi, that would also rule out a big move

Reactions: David Lunch

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yeah I'm really trying to give Blake some patience here because something's gotta give

with Petersen gone, the only really "nhl experienced' goalie is Copley, and the pipeline is what, Copley, Villalta, Portillo? lol. As littlle faith as I have in Rob, I don't think anyone sits on that.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Yeah I'm really trying to give Blake some patience here because something's gotta give

with Petersen gone, the only really "nhl experienced' goalie is Copley, and the pipeline is what, Copley, Villalta, Portillo? lol. As littlle faith as I have in Rob, I don't think anyone sits on that.
I agree. Looking at the FA list, there are some real slim pickings too. Varly, Stolarz, and Hellburg is who I would be looking at. Freddie would be great because he actually thrives on a lot of shots against. I doubt the Hurry Canes will let him go though.

Reactions: lumbergh

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I agree. Looking at the FA list, there are some real slim pickings too. Varly, Stolarz, and Hellburg is who I would be looking at. Freddie would be great because he actually thrives on a lot of shots against. I doubt the Hurry Canes will let him go though.
Stolarz could be a cheap gamble with some upside. Maybe they will trade for a goalie. Probably bring in a veteran 3rd string goalie also just in case of injury/poor starters.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

There won't be much changes to that.
After Gavrikov signing we are back to square one having 5ish mill to resign Vlillardi, Kupari and someone else at least. I don't see signing another Goalie without Iafall/Moore/Arvidson being traded away

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
I would not be surprised if we go into the season with Copley as our #1 goalie and a cheap veteran on a one year deal to back him up.
There are very few quality UFA goaltenders and the prices for them will be too high for the Kings.
In my opinion they will do something during the season or at the deadline.

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
I would not be surprised if we go into the season with Copley as our #1 goalie and a cheap veteran on a one year deal to back him up.
There are very few quality UFA goaltenders and the prices for them will be too high for the Kings.
This option is ideal for those who want to see Blake get fired.

Also, what would have been the point of Bill Ranford's new role?

They're not THAT stupid are they?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The Kings will sign Korpisalo,not sure who has to be moved in order for that to happen though. I expect Vilardi to be signed next and then we'll see how much cash is left to work with. My solution would be to jettison Iafallo and Moore out as they can be easily replaced along with Lizotte and Roy who'll be a UFA in a years time anyways. That should clear another 12-13 M to work with and fill the prescription for the "doctor"!

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

There's no way he's doing that. He has been in full blown 'save my job' mode the last three years. Common sense here says that he's willing to trade a pile of assets to get something because he keeps doing that over and over regardless of whether or not it's a good idea. He probably has two or three goalie targets and he's probably willing to give up a ton if he has to.

No chance he's ever going to leave his job in Copper's hands. No way.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Then there’s Connor Hellebuyck (No. 2 on the trade board 2.0) and Mark Scheifele (No. 3), both entering the last year of their deals. Odds are both are traded this summer. And there should be no confusion about whether Hellebuyck has interest in signing an extension in Winnipeg. That ship has sailed. His next contract will be with a new team.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
No interest in overpaying the Jets for Hellebuyck or overpaying him on his next contract.

I like Jarry as a UFA, especially if Dubas once again thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and walks away from him. Hill would've been a nice fit, but this cup run will get him overpaid. No interest in bringing Korpisalo back, he just ain't it if your goal is to win a cup.

I really like Demko or Gibson, especially if they don't cost much to trade. I'd bank on either of them rebounding their careers on a better team.

If Boston wants to be rid of Ullmark's cap hit I'd gladly take him too.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
If King's get Hellebuyck, they don't have to play defense. :naughty:

Could just offer sheet Boston or Minnesota's goalies. Do we have the picks though.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

Not happening, no cap and it would take more assets and picks and I don't see Blake doing it. Trading away Arvi,Moore or AI just to make cap is just weakening the fwd depth. I think Blake will wait til next year when Kopi contact falls off and just signs a bridge goalie this year to back up Pheonix Copley.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not happening, no cap and it would take more assets and picks and I don't see Blake doing it. Trading away Arvi,Moore or AI just to make cap is just weakening the fwd depth. I think Blake will wait til next year when Kopi contact falls off and just signs a bridge goalie this year to back up Pheonix Copley.
Kings would have been better off giving up additional 2nd round pick or something to philly to have them retain on Provorov to save themselves the $2 mill in dead cap.

Just means that if they go for Helly that they pay the jets extra trade compensation to retain for his final year.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
1-year deal for Varlomov? 2mAAV?
Might as well add $1-2 mil and sign Korpi pre FA.
Pay to avoid bidding wars on him and all the other non-leftovers.
Hill is the flavor of the month and that costs a lot more, this time of year.
Mayor is not thinking it through.
Korpi seems to me the most logical option looking at the FA list for a short term answer.
Especially when TMac and Blake's contract draw closer to potential expiration.
Kings are not making a trade when they have a ton of cap space next year to get whoever their guy is long term after a close look at Korpi and Cops for another season.
Maybe if you dump/trade Lizotte and Grundstrom, you can sign Korpi and the RFA's.
Probably not, so Arvi, who won't be resigned anyway may have to go too.
Durzi slots in until at least the deadline, keeping Spence and Clarke in the AHL unless there are injuries.
That way Blake does with Spence what he is doing with Bjornfot, right now.
He lets guys develop in the AHL as much as possible allowing them to be extended at a low cost right when the guys waiver protection expires.
This keeps the salaries down and allows players maximum time to develop on both sides of the puck and earn their way past the McLLelan toll bridge of trust to varying degrees.
Worked well with Kempe and Vilardi.
Of course its mostly Blake Derangement Syndrome here on this board, and the rageaholics can't even see it.
Even though they come here frequently and bitch like all variables, like development, injuries and other things in a players life can all be controlled in psychic hotline-like manner.

Last edited:

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Might as well add $1-2 mil and sign Korpi pre FA.
Pay to avoid bidding wars on him and all the other non-leftovers.
Hill is the flavor of the month and that costs a lot more, this time of year.
Mayor is not thinking it through.
Korpi seems to me the most logical option looking at the FA list for a short term answer.
Especially when TMac and Blake's contract draw closer to potential expiration.
Kings are not making a trade when they have a ton of cap space next year to get whoever their guy is long term after a close look at Korpi and Cops for another season.
Maybe if you dump/trade Lizotte and Grundstrom, you can sign Korpi and the RFA's.
Probably not, so Arvi, who won't be resigned anyway may have to go too.
Durzi slots in until at least the deadline, keeping Spence and Clarke in the AHL unless there are injuries.
That way Blake does with Spence what he is doing with Bjornfot, right now.
He lets guys develop in the AHL as much as possible allowing them to be extended at a low cost right when the guys waiver protection expires.
This keeps the salaries down and allows players maximum time to develop on both sides of the puck and earn their way past the McLLelan toll bridge of trust to varying degrees.
Worked well with Kempe and Vilardi.
Of course its mostly Blake Derangement Syndrome here on this board, and the rageaholics can't even see it.
Even though they come here frequently and bitch like all variables, like development, injuries and other things in a players life can all be controlled in psychic hotline-like manner.
Mayor reported that Korpisalo wants to test free agency. That might be why he isn't being signed.

A forward is getting traded or someone like JAD or Grundström is getting waived. Too many forwards that require waivers next year.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Mayor reported that Korpisalo wants to test free agency. That might be why he isn't being signed.

A forward is getting traded or someone like JAD or Grundström is getting waived. Too many forwards that require waivers next year.
Maybe but I heard the same talk about Gavi like a month ago.
Blake keeps it quiet inegotio.
Kings need to get bigger I would trade/dump Lizotte and Grundstrom for cap space.
JAD I keep because he is cheaper and may contiue to develop with more minutes on
L4 JAD - Kupari - McEwen

Reactions: Johnny Utah

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Maybe but I heard the same talk about Gavi like a month ago.
Blake keeps it quiet inegotio.
Kings need to get bigger I would trade/dump Lizotte and Grundstrom for cap space.
JAD I keep because he is cheaper and may contiue to develop with more minutes on
L4 JAD - Kupari - McEwen
We heard that Gavrikov wanted to test free agency, but that the team was trying to find a way to bring him back & make the money work. We're not hearing that second part about Korpisalo.

Plenty of goalie options with the stagnant cap.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I vote for the ghost of Sean Burke.

Could probably be had for a 2024 1st round pick and Clarke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad