Speculation: Next year's line-up? (Image)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bjm3oytIUAATk9E.jpg

Thought this deserves it's own thread (Jaster's idea actually)

Don't know much about the guy who broke this, but apparently this was left in the Wings media room.
Story: https://mobile.twitter.com/anthonyfenech/status/448591549606416384

If those are the lines next year, or for the playoffs, I'd be pretty stoked.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Our forward lineup will be really good next year no matter what really, the only real question is if Jurco plays on opening night or comes in like Nyquist.

Also a Abdelkader-Helm-Franzen line isn't exactly something I'd put together myself.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Repeating here, but.... It's most likely from one/two of the coaches/management, which would give it some weight. And while it's clearly just one possibility of many and a fluid diagram, it sure offers a lot of clues about who the Wings rank ahead of who.

- Looking at the 4 numbers outside of the bubble (the UFAs), it's interesting that there are 2 columns. And two different color pens. There are also 2 numbers circled and 2 not. And 2 numbers crossed off and 2 not. Then there are 2 underlined and 2 not. Difficult to decipher all that. My guess? The circles and slashes mean the same thing: who the Wings want back. They want 11 and 17. Don't want 71 and 44. And the left column are guys who want to be back and the right column guys who are retiring (they seem unsure, or not in agreement, about Alfie).

- I've always liked Andersson, but he just never really took that next step and seems to have been passed by. Putting him in a reserve spot, with a circle around his number (which indicates to me that they'd be willing to send him to GR, and through waivers) is pretty much where he should be at, I think. Glendening has taken his spot.

- I think having 90 listed as a reserve is solely because of his health concerns (which I believe is indicated by the underlines). If healthy, I'd have to think he moves up the depth chart.

- Can't make out the scribble in the 4th-line right wing spot, but safe to assume that spot is up for grabs. Maybe Callahan or Ferraro. Maybe someone to slide down or over to if Alfie or Legwand comes back, or if Weiss is indeed healthy.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
I'll be optimistic first, awesome! I'll be pessimistic next, there's no proof of who wrote this, when and why.

Yeah exactly. Maybe the team water boy is a fan like us and does this in his spare time. Who knows...

One or both could be playing hurt but I'm not sure about bringing Alfie and/or Legwand back. They haven't been much help recently. I'd be more inclined to cut the dead wood and let the kids play. They're the ones driving this team right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was wondering why this was scribbled below a sheet that has the Boston Bruins roster, because they weren't playing the Bruins the night this was tweeted.

Think that's because they are planning on playing Boston in the 1st round?

Boy I feel like this is one big game of Clue :laugh:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Nyquist with Datysuk and Zetterberg?

What would make Babcock deviate from the piano-pusher method he has been utilizing for years?

Detroit Sports*

I hope at least 2 of our top 6 D men are gone along with Howard.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

What would make Babcock deviate from the piano-pusher method he has been utilizing for years?

Maybe he was doing that more out of necessity. Now with more offensive skill he wouldn't have to spread it around as much?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco line has the potential to be so good, that it would give him the flexibility to make a lineup decision like that, in my opinion.

Honestly you let those guys finish this year together, and then give them a whole season together, and they can become scary good.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
The Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco line has the potential to be so good, that it would give him the flexibility to make a lineup decision like that, in my opinion.

Honestly you let those guys finish this year together, and then give them a whole season together, and they can become scary good.

I honestly only gave it a once-over and didn't even notice how the second line was set up. My first instinct to looking at that second line was "wait, since when did we get Moulson?"

Was it Franzen with Zetterberg and Datsyuk back in 2011-2012? My memory is fuzzy, but that seems like the only time the Euro-twins were without a "piano-pusher" type player.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I honestly only gave it a once-over and didn't even notice how the second line was set up. My first instinct to looking at that second line was "wait, since when did we get Moulson?"

Was it Franzen with Zetterberg and Datsyuk back in 2011-2012? My memory is fuzzy, but that seems like the only time the Euro-twins were without a "piano-pusher" type player.

Was Homer a piano pusher? He took abuse in front of the net but that's about it. Other than that he wasn't a fierce forechecker, or a speedy guy (lololo) or whatever. He was a guy with high hockey IQ and the skill to play with Z/D.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

franzen-dats-bert
flip-zeta-hudler

that's how it was for most of the year in 11-12.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Was Homer a piano pusher? He took abuse in front of the net but that's about it. Other than that he wasn't a fierce forechecker, or a speedy guy (lololo) or whatever. He was a guy with high hockey IQ and the skill to play with Z/D.

I think his presence in front of the net and in the corners qualified him.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Our forward lineup will be really good next year no matter what really, the only real question is if Jurco plays on opening night or comes in like Nyquist.

Also a Abdelkader-Helm-Franzen line isn't exactly something I'd put together myself.

I wouldn't mind seeing Alfie with Helm and Franzen and put Abby on the 4th line along with how the rest of the lineup looks like on the scratch paper.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
So many fowards...

Looks good, though. Personally:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Nyquist (if healthy, would be ridiculously awesome)
Tatar-Sheahan-Alfredsson (nice mix of speed and scoring)
Abdelkader-Helm-Franzen (could be a great third line)
Miller-Glendening-Callahan
Weiss/Andersson

I know some would rather have Jurco over Alfie, but Alfie can still offer a bunch in my view. You can also switch him up with Gus. Jurco could still greatly grow upon his game for another year in GR.

Weiss and Leggy are question marks. Insert one of them in place of Helm by putting Helm on line four is a possibility. Also, management may yet buyout Weiss and extend Legwand, who knows?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Legwand-Franzen
Miller-Helm-Callahan
Glendening/Andersson

I think we let go of Ferraro, because in my view Cally is better.

Regardless, the group looks great for next year and has a ton of potential.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
How come no one questions the reliability of the note? Couldn't just anyone have left it there to start a rumor?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad