Next year's Captain?

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Subban's not ready. Markov doesn't want it, if he did, he'd already be captain. Pleks maybe but.....

I'd like to see a guy like Prust as captain. He says meaningful things, and leads by example. True team guy.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'm going to vote Plekanec. Quiet, but probably the most serious and hardest working player on the team. Always the first on the ice in warmup and practice. Been here a while and consistent.

It's been said over and over by his teammates that when (and it doesn't happen often) he talks, people listen.

Classy guy, puts the team first...evident by the fact that he sacrifices his offensive game to play a shutdown role, something he's never once complained about. MT, Martin and Cunneyworth have all admitted that they ask Plekanec to sacrifice offense for defense and he accepts it.

Model Hab.

habitue*

I would like to say Subban but he is not "there" yet in terms of respect and leadership.

Gorges would be my choice for a couple of seasons, Plekanec, maybe.

But, unfortunetely, I would not be surprised if Bergevin re-signs Gionta for a couple more seasons........

kernkraft

Jul 8, 2006
Kanata
Gorges being captain would be as bad as the Oilers picking Ference. Not to mention an insult to the resident Norris laureate. I can't believe there's even a debate about this.

Subban by a mile.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Pleks is the most professional looking player after Gio right now. The captain in Montreal is mainly a public figure so he's got my vote.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Pleks deserves it right now, but I think he's too quiet although he is a Toews-lite. No to Markov, if Prust was more skilled, he'd be it for me. Most team's it's the most important or skilled player, let's see what PK can do in the playoffs and if he's earned it and gains more respect, he could mature a lot in a short time and over the summer. PK for C.

Sedlak

Nov 6, 2013
There is a lot of good choises but let's make it PK:s team :)
my other choise would be Plekanec

Gros Bonhomme

Benoit Brunet #1 Fan
Jan 21, 2011
Montreal
Subban's not ready. Markov doesn't want it, if he did, he'd already be captain. Pleks maybe but.....

I'd like to see a guy like Prust as captain. He says meaningful things, and leads by example. True team guy.

I love Prust as much as the next guy here and I think he's one of the leaders in the room despite not wearing any letter but the guy is injured more often than not.. :/

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
It's either Subban or Plekanec.

I wouldv'e said Gorges before and I still have no doubt about his leadership, but I doubt he stays with the Habs for a long time.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
No Prust option? I know the guy has been made of paper recently, but he seems like a heck of a team player.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
As for Price as captain? Yeah he is good. I mean Patrick Roy was leading almost half the team and he was a great leader, you never saw him engraving the C on his sweater or helmet

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
Bourque got a goal and an assist last night. Does that mean he gets the 'C' next year?

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
PK never even had an A this season... forget it, stop with the pipe dream.

Plekanec or Markov are the ideal candidates.

Subban, Pac and Gorges (if not traded, which I hope) are candidates for assistants.

...Prust needs to play in order to be captain or assistant...

feds91

May 17, 2004
Right now Gionta is captain, Gorges and Markov are the alternates. I'm assuming that one of Gorges or Markov will wear the C next year, that is if Andrei stays. Gorges was captain of his Memorial Cup winning team. He was also captain of his WHL squad in the Canada-Russia challenge. So I'm gonna say Gorges(C), Markov(A) and Plekanec(A).

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
I wish they'd made a move to give the leadership of the team to the young core, but I don't think it will happen.

Plekanec would be a decent choice for me. I really wish they don't go for Gorges, I think your Captain should be a player that can take over a game and lead this way, the only way Gorges looks like he's taking over a game is if the other team is totally dominating and Gorges blocks every shot...

I'd like to see Subban Captain, but it's obvious enough that the current management would never do that, they still think he should be benched if he makes a mistake and be taught to be a better person.

But they could send a message of passing the torch to the younger core by making Plek a captain with something like Pacioretty and Subban as A. I think that the Habs are a team that actually should not at all cuddle to their veterans. They are clearly not the ones that can carry the team anymore. Markov makes as many mistakes as Subban lately because of his skating problems, Gorges is not quite as good as he used to be, Gionta is now an undersized 3rd-liner, Brière is over-the-hill, Bourque is MIA more often than not...

The Habs best players, now and in the future, are all around 25-26 or less. Plek might be the only exception (and Markov overall, but I feel that he's going to drop fairly quickly because he just can't skate the way he needs to now). They should be the ones getting the leadership role of the team.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
As much as I think PK should have a letter on his jersey as soon as next year I don't see it happening unless one of Gorges, Plekanec or Markov gets moved.

With that in mind here's what I think is going to happen if the Habs don't keep Gionta:

C - Plekanec
A - Markov
A - Gorges

Plekanec doesn't need to shout GO RED or try as hard as he can to give a motivational speech to lead, he just leads by example and is very hard on himself. I think he deserves it and I don't see him moving any time soon.

Now, here's my ideal setup when it comes to team leadership duties:

C - Plekanec
A - Subban
A - Markov (if he stays) // Pacioretty (if he does't)

This franchise's future relies on Price, Subban and Pacioretty. Price can't wear a letter and the other two have been here long enough to deal with the pressure. If it were up to me I'D have them all here for the remainder of their respective careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad