Next year's Captain?

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Gionta's contract is up after this year and it's entirely possible he doesn't get re-signed.

Feel free to vote with your heart (who you'd like to see named) or head (who you expect to see named).

I've included Gionta for those who think he sticks around longer as captain.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Fully expecting it to be Gorges.

Wish the team with go with the "young core" way, though. Subban deserves an A at least, and if it weren't for the Vancouver Canucks failed experiment with Luongo, I'd say Price is the one that deserves the C the most.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Will be: Gorges

Should be: Plekanec

Darkhorse: Pacioretty (He wore an A the other game)

If it were up to me:

Plekanec - Captain
Pacioretty - Alternate
Subban - Alternate

Markov will always be viewed as an elder statesman and won't care if he has an A or not. He's a boss like that.

Pacioretty and Subban train hard and are our core players. They should both be rewarded and groomed to become the true leaders in the lockerroom while Plekanec dons the C in the meantime. I also suspect Pacioretty would react really well to wearing a letter full time; He'd be super motivated.

LeHaboholique

Respek is earn, not give to!
Jul 25, 2012
Same
I'd love to see some long time hab get it. If I am not mistaken Markov has already turned it down(?) I believe Plekanec deserves an "A" at least. seems like a quite leader. I agree with Lebowski that if it isn't a long term hab it should go to the youth and start the future.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I voted with my head and said Gorges.

I would absolutely love it to be Subban or Price, but neither will happen. Maybe one or both get an A though. Would love for Gallagher to get a letter too if the team doesn't want to be unorthodox and give Price a letter.

I included Galchenyuk if they decide to go the Colorado route and give it to our most talented youngster, Desharnais is in there because he is silencing critics + Francophone. Sorry I forgot Prust, he should maybe be in there.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Will be: Dare I say, Gionta.

Failing the re-signing, I would anticipate a rotation featuring Gorges, Plekanec, Markov.

My preference would be to not sign Gionta. And make Subban captain.

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
C: Plekanec
A: Gorges
A: Markov*if he resigns*
A: Pacioretty *if Markov does not resign*

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Gionta. Bergevin signed Briere, I highly doubt he cares about age, ability, fit, size.

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
If Gionta is not back next season, then it will probably be Gorges. Maybe like this:

C: Gorges
A: Markov *He will re-sign*:yo:
A: Plekanec

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
C: Plekanec
A: Gorges
A: Markov*if he resigns*
A: Pacioretty *if Markov does not resign*

Hard to make anyone an alternate captain if they chose to resign.

I feel the Habs need to make Subban Captain and re-sign him to a 8 year deal. If we win the Stanley Cup, we ride him and Price.

clarke19

Feb 1, 2008
Plekanec just captained the Czech team at the Olympics.. He's by far our most versatile forward and he's signed decently long term at an affordable price.

That's got to mean something, right?

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I would like Plekanec.

Gorges would have been good 2 years ago but I don't think he's the best choice anymore. Plekanec is consistently the hardest working player on the ice, and he's a great player as well. He was the captain of team Czech also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad