Next year's Captain?

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Make your choice knowing that the player elected as captain will decline...that's how it always is in MTL.

Karl Pilkington

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
www.canadiens.com
I'll puke if it's Gorges. He'd be too hard on his teamates, or at least, those whose style of play he doesn't agree with, and by that I mean risk takers, and to win you can't always play it safe, you have to take risks.

PricePkPatch*

yeah what the heck with putting a "c" on those defensive dmen. Salvador, Ference and now Gorges. I also remember Jason Smith on the Oilers.

Actually, Ference for the Oilers is not a bad idea, in my opinion. That's kind of what the Oilers needed.

But a Ference-like or a Gorges-like player is not what WE need at the moment.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
As much as I understand why people would want Plekanec I feel like pretty shortly Chuck is going to be the go-to guy upfront and Plekanec is going to be our P.Bergeron, 2nd line shut down guy (he's already this guy).

Gorges is a horrible choice, he's a middle of the pack player who should not be anywhere near the "C", this is the Montreal Canadiens we're talking about here.

It has to be Subban, he's the player when we get a new coach that will be playing 28+ minutes a night, leading this team goign forward, perennial all-star, Norris winning player. He's the only true superstar we have besides Price. He's the next guy to wear it for 10+ years IMO, why not just give it to him now and let him grow into it.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
As much as I understand why people would want Plekanec I feel like pretty shortly Chuck is going to be the go-to guy upfront and Plekanec is going to be our P.Bergeron, 2nd line shut down guy (he's already this guy).

Gorges is a horrible choice, he's a middle of the pack player who should not be anywhere near the "C", this is the Montreal Canadiens we're talking about here.

It has to be Subban, he's the player when we get a new coach that will be playing 28+ minutes a night, leading this team goign forward, perennial all-star, Norris winning player. He's the only true superstar we have besides Price. He's the next guy to wear it for 10+ years IMO, why not just give it to him now and let him grow into it.

I would bet Bergeron gets the "c" the day Chara retires.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I would bet Bergeron gets the "c" the day Chara retires.

It's a bit different though, maybe not the best example. Plekanec is older, has less on his contract and doesn't really make the same impact as Bergeron. Also, Boston doesn't have P.K. Subban.

I just don't really think there are any logical reasons to not put your faith in Subban as the captain. He literally does everything right in regards to this franchise and gets so little respect from the organization as far as fans can see (I'm sure it's differnet behind doors). It would be a great step to name him cpatain and sign him to 8 years, we would all be happy I thinK!

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Following the list in the poll...

Gionta: will be him if he re-signs at a lower salary, wouldn't mind if that is the case.

Gorges: not my first choice but decent.

Plekanec: he would be my number one choice if Gionta leaves.

Markov: from what we've heard he doesn't want the captaincy, he's fine as an assistant.

Gallagher: too young, let him be...

Pacioretty: number 4/5 on my list.

Subban: he would easily be able to take the pressure of being the Captain of the Habs but with the way the organization has dealt with him, do you guys seriously believe he has any chance of being the next Captain? Only chance (slim) is if it's decided by a player vote.

Galchenyuk: Same as with Gallagher.

Desharnais: too many others to choose from before him.

Prust: certainly seems to have leadership qualities but don't see him as more than an assistant.

Vanek: ain't happening one way or the other, assistant at best.

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
I feel like MB wants Gionta to gonna stick around for a few more years in a third line role so he'll probably be captain until he leaves and one of Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher or Galchenyuk takes the C.

If Gionta leaves this summer, it should absolutely be Subban, but I don't think the coach or the room would be in favour of that right now, since they still seem to be treating Subban like a little brother of sorts. So it should be one of Gorges, Plekanec, Patches and Prust as a darkhorse (everybody loves him, he's good with the media and has shown he can make a difference on the ice). I'd give it to Subban, then Pleks, then Prust, then Pacioretty and GoRed as the last choice.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Just ask your self this question:

Who brings his A game on the ice night after night and delivers?

P.K. Subban

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Gorges obviously has the heart and the leading by example resume, but I think he lacks the ability to put the team on his back to get a W. I know that your captain doesn't have to be your best player, but IMO a captain needs to lead the attack when the going gets rough. You might get motivated by a guy laying down his body for a blocked shot, but it's always way more effective to see a guy score that big goal for you.

Gorges is a soldier, not a commander.

Plekanec should be the guy until we're sure of the next guy. Pacioretty and Subban should be groomed next.

I would argue that simply holding the ship afloat and buying someone else enough time to get the goal is as important. Hell, having a "second goalie" out on the ice gives the confidence to be more aggressive because the other players on the ice know Gorges will be back there to clean up any messes that are created.

However the reason I would prefer Gorges in as captain is that, as you mentioned, he is the ultimate example of leading by example and he appears willing to sacrifice everything for the team. (See GM having to convince him twice to get out of the lineup and get the surgery he needed for his future hand/knee)

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I would argue that simply holding the ship afloat and buying someone else enough time to get the goal is as important. Hell, having a "second goalie" out on the ice gives the confidence to be more aggressive because the other players on the ice know Gorges will be back there to clean up any messes that are created.

However the reason I would prefer Gorges in as captain is that, as you mentioned, he is the ultimate example of leading by example and he appears willing to sacrifice everything for the team. (See GM having to convince him twice to get out of the lineup and get the surgery he needed for his future hand/knee)

His commitment is commendable for sure but I think his style of leadership works best as a leader on the team, but not the leader on the team. He wouldn't be the worst captain by any means, but IMO we really need a captain who can pot a clutch goal or two. Gorges' impact on a game is more passive. We need someone who is right in the middle of the battle.

Naoned

I would not be against giving it to PK, eventhough there's a risk. He's already under immense scrutiny. But he could also embrace the role, and it would make him grow even more as a player and as a person.
There are safest choices, but it could pay big dividends.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I would not be against giving it to PK, eventhough there's a risk. He's already under immense scrutiny. But he could also embrace the role, and it would make him grow even more as a player and as a person.
There are safest choices, but it could pay big dividends.

He's about to be the highest paid player in the history of the Montreal Canadiens, has the biggest fan base of any individual on the team and is essentially the first superstar the team has had in 20+ years.

It makes so much sense to me that I will not be able to truly respect any other decision.

It also takes a lot of pressure off other players because P.K. already talks to the media after every game so he can address team issues as the captain as well. Would be an easy transition for him.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Huh? Ference is absolutely garbage and the Oiler fans HATE him as a leader. He adds nothing to that team. Maybe you should research things before talking out of your ass. I live in Edmonton and know this for a fact. People call into radio shows and complain about the lack of leadership every freaking day.

Yeah surprised a Montreal fan would praise Ference. That guy is a snake, cheapshotter who runs his mouth and comes off as pretty stupid in interviews.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
He's about to be the highest paid player in the history of the Montreal Canadiens, has the biggest fan base of any individual on the team and is essentially the first superstar the team has had in 20+ years.

It makes so much sense to me that I will not be able to truly respect any other decision.

It also takes a lot of pressure off other players because P.K. already talks to the media after every game so he can address team issues as the captain as well. Would be an easy transition for him.

The thing with superstars is that they kind of takeover the team whether you want it or not. People naturally look to the strongest and most talented amongst a group for leadership and trying to deny that causes problems as well, it would lead to room fracturing as PK and those who look to him could clash with whoever else is appointed captain, it's just the natural order of things that hasn't changed since the Greeks looked to Achilles for leadership even though he was an ass, he was still their champion because of his strength. Same kind of parallel with Washington, when they made Ovechkin captain, he may not have been a perfect leader, but he was the face of the team and the guy who always had the microphone in his face. That's reality and to deny it can create friction.

From The Couch

Jan 14, 2014
West PQ
Many guys deserve it. I feel Gorges. Great character guy, who blocks shots, everyone seems to respect the hell out of him. He`s not scared to speak up in the room. Also, his wife is a smoke show. His wife has nothing to do with this, but i`m just saying...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad