Next Year?

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
- A defensive tutor for MacK.

That Spurgeon goal to tie the game in game 7 was really bad. It wasn't even him sliding by to try and block the shot, it was because he didn't even know that he was supposed to be covering him.

It was a really haphazard & costly play ... but something about MacKinnon gives me faith in his ability to translate experience into knowledge. When not isolating incidents, wouldn't you say it's more of a team D thing overall?

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
It was a really haphazard & costly play ... but something about MacKinnon gives me faith in his ability to translate experience into knowledge. When not isolating incidents, wouldn't you say it's more of a team D thing overall?

Mistakes like these can be very important to the learning process, and I have no doubt that MacK will use the experience to grow his game.

Yes, I agree that the team D aspect needs to grow as well. If you watch that play, Landy motions to MacK to move over and cover Spurgeon, but by that time it was already too late. Great communication has always been a staple with good defenses, so maybe that is an area of interest for next year as well.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
- A defensive tutor for MacK.

That Spurgeon goal to tie the game in game 7 was really bad. It wasn't even him sliding by to try and block the shot, it was because he didn't even know that he was supposed to be covering him.

The analysts rightly pointed out though that was a miscommunication following a change--MacK should have been covering the left side but didn't realize it until it was too late. I don't blame him for that goal, I blame the fact that the Avs played scared every time they had a lead and didn't continue to press. Whenever they were on the attack they were reasonably successful in pinning down the Wylde or at least slowing their attack a bit. Going into the Prevent was what ultimately cost them the game.

MacKinnon's defensive game can obviously use some improvement, but it's not like he needs someone to sit down and teach him. He'll improve in due time.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
MacKinnon's defensive game can obviously use some improvement, but it's not like he needs someone to sit down and teach him. He'll improve in due time.

His improvement just over last year defensively was a nice surprise to me.

That slide though, when he is so fast and strong on his skates in his starts and stops, made me cringe. lol

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Coming out of Juniors Mac's defense was something that people didn't really consider a weakness. I personally thought the Spurgeon goal aside that he played better than most rookies would in their own zone.

Not saying he's Towes but I think he'll be really solid defensively to go with the ridiculous offense.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

I would consider it more of a team D problem. We were so passive in our own zone that series that coverage breakdowns like that were inevitable, especially on a line change.

It's a shame GMGM is gone. That guy knows how to lose a trade.

Don't worry, he'll be back soon with another team. He actually did a good job rebuilding Washington into a playoff team, he just couldn't get them over the hump of becoming a real SC contender.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

That slide though, when he is so fast and strong on his skates in his starts and stops, made me cringe. lol

It's not just him. There are many Avs players that love to leave their feet, especially the defenders. I'm not a fan of it.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

I love me some Mack...but holy hell. Even if he went right at Spurgeon, pressuring him with his stick in the lane at the very worst the shot is hurried and not the snipe that ended up happening. Instead he did that.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

I love me some Mack...but holy hell. Even if he went right at Spurgeon, pressuring him with his stick in the lane at the very worst the shot is hurried and not the snipe that ended up happening. Instead he did that.

Yeah, for all of the comparisons that MacKinnon gets to Jeremy Roenick, that play illustrated a big difference between the two players, at least at this stage of MacKinnon's career. Roenick would have taken a run at Spurgeon on that play. He might not have been able to stop him from getting a shot off, but he would have forced Spurgeon to hurry his shot, and he would have put Spurgeon on his ass.

I saw Roenick do just that on a similar play on Kelly Kisio back in 93 or 94. Kisio's shot missed, and Roenick actually knocked Kisio out of the game with a neck strain.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, for all of the comparisons that MacKinnon gets to Jeremy Roenick, that play illustrated a big difference between the two players, at least at this stage of MacKinnon's career. Roenick would have taken a run at Spurgeon on that play. He might not have been able to stop him from getting a shot off, but he would have forced Spurgeon to hurry his shot, and he would have put Spurgeon on his ass.

I saw Roenick do just that on a similar play on Kelly Kisio back in 93 or 94. Kisio's shot missed, and Roenick actually knocked Kisio out of the game with a neck strain.

The game is different imo.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

lol,
that being said
Spurgeon made a really good play, but you cant play defense from
your stomach...unless your Suter apparenty
landy:shakehead

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Hopefully as he grows into his body and place in the league he'll become that force he was still just a 17 year old afterall whereas by 93 Roenick was 23. He seemed more than willing to get physical this year and get into guys faces, so hopefully as he gets his man strength and really comfortable in the league he starts running guys over with the nastiness that JR had as well.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Does anyone think Siemens is ready to play next year? If so will he be able to slide into a top 4 role? I heard the comparisons to foote does anyone think he will actually be that good?

If we can get one or two of our promising prospects to pan out next year we could have a solid defence and not need any FA defence. Could be similar to Avs d core of the glory years.

Johnson-Barrie (Blake-Liles)
Hejda-Siemens (Morris-Foote)
Elliott-Holden (Skoula- De vrois)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Does anyone think Siemens is ready to play next year? If so will he be able to slide into a top 4 role? I heard the comparisons to foote does anyone think he will actually be that good?

If we can get one or two of our promising prospects to pan out next year we could have a solid defence and not need any FA defence. Could be similar to Avs d core of the glory years.

Johnson-Barrie (Blake-Liles)
Hejda-Siemens (Morris-Foote)
Elliott-Holden (Skoula- De vrois)

Very doubtful. I suspect Bigras may be more likely to make the team and that's also unlikely.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
If Hishon is our 3rd line center next season McGinn would still be with some pretty offensively skilled players on that line. Assuming we manage to bring back all the forwards and don't use them as trade bait...

ROR-Dutchy-PAP
Landy-Walnuts-MacK
Tangs-Magician-Capt.Morgan
Highlander-Malkin-Beard

Cliche-Bordy

That could be a good top 9. The only question is if Hishon is up to this role defensively. That 4th line could actually see some increased minutes as well.

Thoughts on this (obviously assuming we re-sign Stastny, and trade PAP for D help)?

ROR-Dutchy-McGinn
Landy-Staz-Hishon
Talbot-Mack-Tanguay
Mcleod-Malkin-Bordy

Top three lines get equal ice time. Protect Hishon defensively with Staz and Landy, McGinn seems to play well with Dutchy, and Tangs can distribute the puck to Mack.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
In that scenario I'd be shocked if it isn't

O'Reilly-Duchene-Tanguay
Landy-Stastny-MacK
McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche-Bordy

There is no way the guy who has 11 minutes of NHL ice time is going to play in the top 6 over the Calder winner budding superstar. I'll keep saying it, if Hishon is a competent callup that can seamlessly enter the lineup in an injury situation I'll be thrilled, expecting more doesn't make sense. There might be a move to add a bottom 6 forward and push Cliche to the 13th forward is about all else they could do.

Last edited:

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Top 3 lines get equal ice time, so there isn't really a top 6. I just think that's the best way to protect Hishon and give Mack more responsibility by putting him back at center.

Btw, I think my scenario is very unlikely to happen, but I think it could be the most successful.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hishon needs to do all that he can to add weight this Summer and I would REALLY like it if he comes to camp healthy and can show what he can do through training camp...of course that's all dependent on him actually getting another contract from the Avs.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs will never stay healthy to see those lines together for any long period of time.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Top 3 lines get equal ice time, so there isn't really a top 6. I just think that's the best way to protect Hishon and give Mack more responsibility by putting him back at center.

Btw, I think my scenario is very unlikely to happen, but I think it could be the most successful.

The three lines will never be equal. People think it is possible but it simply isn't. Even when the 3 scoring lines was a thing early in the year it still wasn't even then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad