Next Year?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd be pretty surprised if Hishon didn't get another contract. Roy had enough confidence to put him in Game 7, and said he wanted to play him in Game 6 too. He had good things to say about his skill level too. For a team with limited depth, letting our most talented forward prospect go would be pretty stupid.

Oh I agree with all that. I'd be pretty surprised too, just saying its not a guarantee. There were rumors earlier in the year that he and the organization were not seeing eye to eye. I'm hoping Roy calling him up to the playoffs changed a lot of that if it was true.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Won't Bigras be ready next year? Was almost this year.

I forget Patrick's exact words a few months ago, but he said something along the lines of they'd be surprised if they didn't keep him in junior for his final year next season.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
You can even flip him with Malkin until he proves he's durable enough to get more minutes. As long as Cliche doesn't get regular minutes as he's not a good hockey player.

I was actually the one that mentioned Summers and Redmond lol. I think that'd be a fantastic bottom pairing and then trade Pap and Elliott for Kulikov. I agree Hayes would be great and RW is our only weak forward position, maybe he can see that.

Hayes good but another left wing. We are close on left wing.
A right wing (or a right center who can play RW)

Brett Connolly is my choice. He has no future in Tampa

Kulikov ? I would like. What is value ? Pap and Elliott ? Only ?

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Hayes good but another left wing. We are close on left wing.
A right wing (or a right center who can play RW)

Brett Connolly is my choice. He has no future in Tampa

Kulikov ? I would like. What is value ? Pap and Elliott ? Only ?

I thought Hayes plays RW? I'm down for Connolly as well. I doubt Kuli's value is much more than a 2nd line winger and a solid prospect. They may want McGinn though.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Of course, there is only so much that needs to be done in the off-season:
  • Reup Stastny and O'Reilly
  • Trade PAP
  • Acquire a Dman
  • Add some Bottom Six depth

Now while this is the bulk of the action, Roy and Sakic can hold off until the trade deadline to make a decision on anything else that needs to be done.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I thought Hayes plays RW? I'm down for Connolly as well. I doubt Kuli's value is much more than a 2nd line winger and a solid prospect. They may want McGinn though.

Big NO on McGinn...He's a big part of this team. He's extremely versatile, can play anywhere in the top-9, is a big body presence and can produce under the right circumstances. He's still pretty young, you can't let a guy like that go. I understand that you have to give something to get something but I wouldn't be willing to move McGinn.

In my opinion, the Panthers would have to accept a package including Elliott (redundant with Barrie in the lineup) + perhaps one of our young goaltender prospects and maybe a pick. That's as much as I'd be willing to give up.

You can pay for potential, up to a certain point. While it's not the best stat for sure, Kulikov was a team worse -26 last season and the closest other D in that regard was -7. The Panthers were a bad team but he didn't have a great year for sure.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like McGinn and hope he's back but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded. I like him with Duchene and O'Reilly but when he isn't in the top six or with offensively skilled players, he isn't all that effective. Hopefully his salary demands are reasonable.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I like McGinn and hope he's back but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded. I like him with Duchene and O'Reilly but when he isn't in the top six or with offensively skilled players, he isn't all that effective. Hopefully his salary demands are reasonable.

If Hishon is our 3rd line center next season McGinn would still be with some pretty offensively skilled players on that line. Assuming we manage to bring back all the forwards and don't use them as trade bait...

ROR-Dutchy-PAP
Landy-Walnuts-MacK
Tangs-Magician-Capt.Morgan
Highlander-Malkin-Beard

Cliche-Bordy

That could be a good top 9. The only question is if Hishon is up to this role defensively. That 4th line could actually see some increased minutes as well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If Hishon is our 3rd line center next season McGinn would still be with some pretty offensively skilled players on that line. Assuming we manage to bring back all the forwards and don't use them as trade bait...

ROR-Dutchy-PAP
Landy-Walnuts-MacK
Tangs-Magician-Capt.Morgan
Highlander-Malkin-Beard

Cliche-Bordy

That could be a good top 9. The only question is if Hishon is up to this role defensively. That 4th line could actually see some increased minutes as well.

Personally with Hishon, I hope he has a good camp, starts in the AHL and plays well, and is then traded for something we need.

The last thing we need is another tiny center or winger for that matter. All Hishon emerging does is up his trade value IMO.

No way in hell would I 'plan' for him to be part of the starting roster with his injury history. Hell I don't even like 'planning' with PA and Tanguay in mind for primary roles, but there is really no choice there.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I dont see any huge changes on D, the market is just awful. Unless Roy and Sakic get creative with who they feel can help back there. That being said I think the type of guys they pursue has changed.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Oh I agree with all that. I'd be pretty surprised too, just saying its not a guarantee. There were rumors earlier in the year that he and the organization were not seeing eye to eye. I'm hoping Roy calling him up to the playoffs changed a lot of that if it was true.

With what Hishon showed in the playoffs, I think it'd be foolish for us not to re-sign him. He's one of very few forward prospects we have right now with legitimate NHL potential.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The Avs will probably finish that deal they originally had at the deadline for that young defenceman. I would bet one of Cowen/Kulikov/Gardiner/Despres is on the Avs by next September.

Count me in as someone who could also see McGinn being traded. If he was always physical then he would be fine on the third line, but he is kind wasted there, and he didn't carve out a permanent top-6 role. But if his salary demands aren't too high, and no team wants him as the centerpiece to a deal for a good young defenceman, then I can't see why they would give him up.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Roy seemed to be a big preacher of chemistry, and the Avs could very well be without 2 of McGinn, Stastny, or Parenteau by midsummer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Avs will probably finish that deal they originally had at the deadline for that young defenceman. I would bet one of Cowen/Kulikov/Gardiner/Despres is on the Avs by next September.

Count me in as someone who could also see McGinn being traded. If he was always physical then he would be fine on the third line, but he is kind wasted there, and he didn't carve out a permanent top-6 role. But if his salary demands aren't too high, and no team wants him as the centerpiece to a deal for a good young defenceman, then I can't see why they would give him up.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Roy seemed to be a big preacher of chemistry, and the Avs could very well be without 2 of McGinn, Stastny, or Parenteau by midsummer.

Man I hope not. Would much rather see us pursue a vet like Markov, Erhoff or Campbell with PAP as the forward piece we move, keeping McGinn as a guy who can contribute on a scoring line and grinding line. Then just sign another guy like that, Kulemin being the obvious favorite in FA, and we'd be pretty much set as long as we retain everyone we need to keep (Stastny, ROR, Barrie, McGinn).

Siemens and Bigras are going to do very good things and Siemens transitioning into Hejda's spot slowly, allowing us to be patient with his development, is something we should seek to replicate with Bigras. I won't be upset if we add a young guy like Gormley or a change of scenery guy like Edler, but I really hope they look for another experienced guy who can hold the fort for our prospects while making life easier for EJ and Barrie, instead of adding someone who's a project themselves and for whom EJ or Barrie will have to make life easier.

Erhoff/Bigras - EJ
Hejda/Siemens - Barrie
Holden - Elliott

would have our defensive core set for the rest of the decade and beyond, while also letting us really build on this season and be serious about winning this division in the playoffs next year.

With a forward core looking like

O'Reilly - Duchene - McGinn
Tanguay - MacKinnon - Kulemin
Landeskog - Stastny - Talbot/Goc/Hishon
McCleod - Malkin - Talbot/Hishon/Bordy/Cliche/other-player-from-the-farm-we're-trying-to-blood

or

O'Reilly - Duchene - Tanguay
Landeskog - Stastny - MacKinnon
Kulemin - Goc/Talbot/Malkin/Hishon - McGinn
McCleod - Malkin/Talbot/Hishon/Cliche - Talbot/Hishon/Bordy/Cliche/other-player-from-the-farm-we're-trying-to-blood

When we need to load up the lines.

There's legit reason to think that team could rep the central in the WCF.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah I think the emergence of Barrie this year and Elliot next year changes the type of D man we try to bring in. Which is great, cause your not getting these Kulikov/Gardiner/Del Zotto types for PAP or McGinn. Teams want way too much for this guys. Id love an Oduya or Markov type guy, someone solid that can skate but isnt some sexy young d man everyone targets all the time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah I think the emergence of Barrie this year and Elliot next year changes the type of D man we try to bring in. Which is great, cause your not getting these Kulikov/Gardiner/Del Zotto types for PAP or McGinn. Teams want way too much for this guys. Id love an Oduya or Markov type guy, someone solid that can skate but isnt some sexy young d man everyone targets all the time.

To me it's even more than the cost. It's great to have our kid carrying us, but as we saw with the Wild, it really helps kids make the most of their ability when they're surrounded by vets who let make life easier for them. Granlund doesn't shine without Parise being put on his wing, Coyle doesn't start making a name for himself without Koivu centering him, and Haula-Nino don't cause so much havoc without the top two lines, and that's why I want someone experienced who can be a rock for EJ or Barrie like Hejda has been, hell we've seen the impact Hejda himself has had on our team. Plus adding another veteran voice to the lockerroom like Highlander/Talbot/Giggy/Hejda/Tangers would be nice, especially when we hit the road next post season, which is why I'd like to add another Talbot like grinder and would love to add Goc, even if we don't need someone to replace PAP.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
At this point I'll welcome a pick dump for PAP. You could probably find a winger as good as him for half the price and gets him off the books for 2015-16 too.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
At this point I'll welcome a pick dump for PAP. You could probably find a winger as good as him for half the price and gets him off the books for 2015-16 too.

I like PAP , but i would love to have a winger with some size to play with Dutchy and ROR. But I dont know any team out there that would want him right now even for a 3rd.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I'd settle for a turkey sandwich.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd love to see Hishon make the Avs next year, but I just dont see it happening with the depth we have. Tanguay will be healthy for next season. Were already to the point where he or PAP are on the 3rd line.

Assuming no Top 9 trades and Stas comes back, were looking at this next year for our forwards:

ROR - Duchene - PAP
Landy - Stas - Mack
McGinn - Mitchell/Talbot - Tanguay
McCleod - Mitchell/Talbot - Bordeleau

Really no spot for Hishon next year. He's not a 4th line guy, or a 3rd line guy. He'll get a full season in LEM, and be the first call up for injury. If he plays good after the call up, then maybe he forces a trade. But I doubt he makes it out of camp.

Although at the same time, if we trade PAP this summer and dont bring in another forward, I could see Hishon slotting in as the #3C with Tanguay going to the Top line, and Talbot playing #3RW.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
- A defensive tutor for MacK.

That Spurgeon goal to tie the game in game 7 was really bad. It wasn't even him sliding by to try and block the shot, it was because he didn't even know that he was supposed to be covering him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm willing to move PA in the right deal that makes us better but this stuff about dumping him for a pick, come on. This isn't fantasy hockey, you don't just get top 6 wingers at the mall. Everyone crying about depth, it's pretty nice to have an extra top 6 player at your disposal. He has great chemistry with Duchene and he scored some pretty big goals this year. It would be an advantage to have him on hand.

Absolutely no way Hishon makes the team initially. If he's relied on as a competent offensive callup would be a huge step up next year and another nice advantage to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad