Next Year?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Regardless of the results of the playoffs, it's never too early to look down the road. What's your master plan for the team?

Mine:
  • Trade or sign a #1 D-man. I don't see alot in the FA market, but we have some pieces like Pickard that can be moved.
  • I like most of our d-men, but would like it better if they were a spot or two down in the rotation.
  • Re-up Stastny and O'Reilly
  • Hope at least one of a D prospects can make the jump.
  • Get at least one third liner
  • Trade for Matt Cooke. Send him to Lake Erie.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Aquire young top four preferably top 2 defenseman. (I wish we had the 10th pick in 2011 instead of the 11th we could have had Brodin). For some combination of PAP, 1st round pick, and other non essential players.

Get depth for the 3rd and 4th lines.

Install new coach and regime in Lake Eire add AHL vets for the young players down there.

Sign overage and project Euros to at least try to get some depth.

Buyout Wilson

Last edited:

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
We definitely have to re-sign Stastny and ROR, and I think we should go hard after Niskanen this summer, since it looks like Pittsburgh may not have the cap room to re-sign him.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Keep:

Landy-Staz-MacK
ROR-Dutchy-Tangs
McGinn-____-Talbot
______-Malkin-_____
Bordy

PAP: gone. The PAP experiment has gone on long enough, he clearly isn't suited to our style of play and would thrive in a slow, defensive system with linemates that to the dirty work for him.
Cliche: gone. If you're going to be an offensive black hole, at least throw your body around.
Malone: He's just below average at everything. Career AHLer unless he can somehow learn to skate and play D.
McLeod: probably the time he should be shipped out. Not a physical pest anymore after his suspensions, and doesn't drop the gloves anymore either.
Malkin: Only reason he's still on my lineup is because of that soon-to-be-atrocious 3-year deal, ideally he'd be gone too.
Bordy: I mean, I guess as the 13th forward/rotation fill-in he's good to have on the team. His incredibly high influence on locker room morale and chemistry gives him enough value to stick around. Plus CORSI. :sarcasm:

Lots of options for forwards, with Kulemin being my #1 FA target, followed by Goc. Then there's Comeau, McClement, Pouliot or Mackenzie, and also other depth guys we could trade for like we did with Talbs.

As for the D, it's simple: EJ, Barrie and Hejda are the only ones that should be kept around. The rest are all extremely easily replaced, and not hard to find upgrades for. I'd even be willing to ship out Elliott in and EJ-style trade.

Guys like Matt Greene and Anton Stralman would be great pickups.

*-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Greene-Stralman

*Guy we get in an Elliott package

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
We have so many needs on defense. We need to get faster, better at moving the puck and it would be nice if we get better defensively too. I don't think there is any magical solution. It's going to be an improvement process over several years.

Elliott should get a shot. Hopefully Siemens is ready for spot duty and it would be fantastic if Bigras is NHL ready.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Lol at the but we have some pieces to get a #1 and then name Pickard. We can get a struggling #3 with top pairing potential like Kulikov. He's the best dman we can get without having to trade away core pieces imo.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Lol at the but we have some pieces to get a #1 and then name Pickard. We can get a struggling #3 with top pairing potential like Kulikov. He's the best dman we can get without having to trade away core pieces imo.

It would be a package for team losing a vet and everyone thinks #1 applies only to Norris finalists.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What's with people talking about the Parenteau "experiment"?

He was our leading scorer his first year here. He got off to a hot start early this season, lines got jumbled and he apparently wasn't too happy, battled numerous injuries and still had a respectable season offensively. Sure his defensive game has been awful but we can always hope for that to turn around.

We all want Parenteau to play better but it isn't an experiment. It's an off, injury filled season. It happens to a lot of players.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
EJ isn't a number 1 anymore after 2 playoffs game in which the entire team was piss poor?

Can someone post a list of #1's that even have a remote chance of being traded?

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
We need some size and offensive ability from our bottom 6...we dont have that right now.

Ginner, if he stays and a lot of us like him, is a 3rd liner that can make an injury in the top six less of a blow. We need someone to center him and Talbot. Mack isn't going back to the third line. I get the feeling Mitchell will get the chance before we sign anyone but Id rather him be our 4th line center. Ott would be awesome on that line IMO...but something tells me he stays in St. Louis.

Tangs would probably be put with ROR and Duchene since Mack fits well with Landy, and Staz. Which means there really isnt a spot for PAP, hes not made for the 3rd line.

PAP in a package for a dman capable of top 4 minutes that we may be able to develop into more.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
It would be a package for team losing a vet and everyone thinks #1 applies only to Norris finalists.

Name some top pairing LHD because EJ is a top 15 dman, period and he's not playing on the 2nd pairing. Then think which ones are worth trading for. Then think which ones are even on the block.

Keith - No
Suter - No
Chara - No
McDonagh - No
Hedman - No
OEL - No
Kronwall - No
JayBo - No
Fowler - No
Vlasic - No
Giordano - Unlikely
Josi - Unlikely
Hamhuis - Can't afford
Phaneuf - Don't want

We don't have the pieces for any of those if you don't want to lose one of...

Johnson
Varlamov
Duchene
MacKinnon
Landeskog
O' Reilly
Barrie

They'd be better off keeping the core in tact and use the replaceable guys like Pap to bring in a young middle pairing guy who can play up.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I really think Avs should tank for McDavid next year

Edit: Duchene
MacKinnon
McDavid

WOW...just imagine that

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
We need to get a couple of dmen really. With our 2nd already gone and not too many assets in the system, our 1st is going to be involved in any deal that happens.

One of our biggest organizational needs is restocking our system depth. It's honestly pretty appalling how little we have of quality in the pipeline. We need to improve it so we're not immediately screwed if we get a couple of injuries, which every team is bound to in the playoffs. A perfectly executed rebuild was the Kings, how they were able to maintain their great system depth until they were ready and then trade for Richards and Carter.

We definitely need to improve the quality of our available bottom 6ers but with Mcleod, Cliche, Bordy, Mitchell all signed I wonder how much they'll really add.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Trade 1st for Kulikov, trade Parenteau for Sbisa, resign ROR+Stastny.
ROR-Duchene-Hishon
Landeskog-Stastny-Talbot
Tanguay-MacKinnon-McGinn
McLeod-Mitchell-Malone
Bordeleau

Kulikov-Johnson
Hejda-Barrie
Sbisa-Elliott
Holden-Guenin

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Neither Florida nor Anaheim would make those trades though. Also, lol, including Hishon.

Aves Fren

Eat the Stars
Dec 20, 2005
What's with people talking about the Parenteau "experiment"?

He was our leading scorer his first year here. He got off to a hot start early this season, lines got jumbled and he apparently wasn't too happy, battled numerous injuries and still had a respectable season offensively. Sure his defensive game has been awful but we can always hope for that to turn around.

We all want Parenteau to play better but it isn't an experiment. It's an off, injury filled season. It happens to a lot of players.

PA played well under Sacco. Trade him to Buffalo for some jockstraps.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I don't think a whole lot needs to be done. I don't really think how the Avs have looked against Minnesota is a cause for concern going forward. If you took Paris and Brodin off the Wild, they would struggle like the Avs are without Duchene and Barrie. Tanguay is also basically a brand new addition. If the Avs win the series, everyone will forget games 3 and 4.

I do think Parenteau is gone for sure.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I want someone like Sekera, too bad we couldn't get him last year. Canes will probably try to re-sign him but if they are planning on rebuilding, he could become available in the offseason or at the deadline. I don't care about him potentially being a "rental", I'd still give up a lot to get him.

No more bandages on defense. Get a legit top 2-4 defenseman who can move the puck.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I want someone like Sekera, too bad we couldn't get him last year. Canes will probably try to re-sign him but if they are planning on rebuilding, he could become available in the offseason or at the deadline. I don't care about him potentially being a "rental", I'd still give up a lot to get him.

No more bandages on defense. Get a legit top 2-4 defenseman who can move the puck.

Agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad