Line Combos: Next Year Right Side Defence

Pick 2 of 3 RD next year

• Total voters

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
Im not sure why anyone would believe Tanev would accept a 1 year deal

Guy is 30 years old.
He suited up for every game this year which would be a first for him in career.

He would be a complete idiot to take a 1 year deal at this point in his life.

Who's a legitimate contender to offer him a multi-year deal this year, with the league losses, flat cap at best and expansion coming? A one-year extension of his current deal might be the best offer he gets. No team is coming at him with anything over 2 years this free agency.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Who's a legitimate contender to offer him a multi-year deal this year, with the league losses, flat cap at best and expansion coming? A one-year extension of his current deal might be the best offer he gets. No team is coming at him with anything over 2 years this free agency.
Never underestimate the stupidity of NHL GMs. What NHL GM on the West Coast was going to offer Ryan Miller an $18 million three year deal with a NTC in 2014? Certainly not the Kings (who still had a decent J. Quick). Not the Sharks who had Niemi. Not the Ducks who had Anderson (and/or Gibson). Yotes had overrated Smith (and I think Dubnyk) - though Yotes aren't really a "West Coast" team.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
Never underestimate the stupidity of NHL GMs. What NHL GM on the West Coast was going to offer Ryan Miller an $18 million three year deal with a NTC in 2014? Certainly not the Kings (who still had a decent J. Quick). Not the Sharks who had Niemi. Not the Ducks who had Anderson (and/or Gibson). Yotes had overrated Smith (and I think Dubnyk) - though Yotes aren't really a "West Coast" team.

true :laugh:

Tanev mentions in one of his interviews that he expects to see a lot of guys be offered 1 year deals this year with all the uncertainty, and I think he's right. But I guess you can never underestimate the power of a desperate GM. I think we're at a bigger risk of someone throwing big money and term at Marky than Tanev but we'll see.

Reactions: Hit the post

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Marco Scandella
-Coming off the exact same type of contract as Tanev in 5 years around $20 million. I think Tanev's was $22 million
-Same age, off by a couple months
- similar type of player
His agents at Newport who represent a lot of canucks could easily use it as a comparable.
He got a contract done during quarantine for the security 4 years around $13 million.

I can't see his agents suggesting him take a 1 year deal with his insane injury history.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Tryamkin is worse than Gudbranson. Poor quickness, poor agility, poor pivots, poor transition, poor attitude etc. He’s not an NHL level defencemen, at best a 6/7 on a bad team.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Thats weird because Tanev mentions one year deals in a couple of different interviews. I think Rick is just bored.

Canucks news: Defenceman Chris Tanev says he wants to stay

Pending UFA Chris Tanev feels at home with Canucks, hopes to stay - Sportsnet.ca

A 1-year deal makes sense for many players w/ the incoming Seattle expansion, and their additional 81.5 million cap space. Good players will be paid in 2021 free agency. Waiting for Seattle to come into the picture may give someone like Chris Tanev more negotiating leverage; or at worst, a good secondary option to stay in the PNW, as he likes living in Vancouver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Long

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
Marco Scandella
-Coming off the exact same type of contract as Tanev in 5 years around $20 million. I think Tanev's was $22 million
-Same age, off by a couple months
- similar type of player
His agents at Newport who represent a lot of canucks could easily use it as a comparable.
He got a contract done during quarantine for the security 4 years around $13 million.

I can't see his agents suggesting him take a 1 year deal with his insane injury history.

If Tanev is willing to take a million dollar hair cut on his AAV then thats a different story. If he's looking at 5 mil + then thats just a non-starter.

If he is willing to take a pay cut, he likely wants expansion protection for that, which isn't an unreasonable ask if a guy is willing to take less to stay.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Tryamkin is worse than Gudbranson. Poor quickness, poor agility, poor pivots, poor transition, poor attitude etc. He’s not an NHL level defencemen, at best a 6/7 on a bad team.
I’ve never thought of Tryamkin as anything more than a 5-6 when he was here. However, there was exactly one game in Gudbransons time here that he played better than Tryamkin

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Stecher
Tryamkin-Rafferty

Would be a solid D

If Tanev and Edler were five years younger, it'd be very solid, but right now, I'd say that of all those players Hughes is the only one who would be a top four on a good team.

The Canucks have one number one guy in Hughes, and after that it's bottom pairing types (with not a single prospect in the system tracking to play in the top four, though of course there could be a surprise in there—Utunen? Rathbone?)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Going forward I'd rather keep Stecher in the fold. With Tanev declining I don't see how we can afford to pay him on a long term deal. Priority is re-signing Stecher first.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! I get that some people are down on Tryamkin....but worse than Gudbranson? Are we talking about the same injury-prone d-man whom Benning was hypnotized into bestowing a contract of $4m a year?

He was so bad in his final season in VanCity, that Green couldn't even play him. It was a miracle on Dunsmuir Street that Benning managed to peddle him to a desperate Pens team even up for Pearson at the deadline two years ago. And he's subsequently bounced to Anaheim when the Pens decided he couldn't play either.

All I remember about him was the brain-cramps in his own zone that made Luca Sbisa look like a Norris trophy candidate. And of course his total lack of mobility. Acquiring him from Florida was easily the worst trade of the Benning regime.

So no, there's no way Tryamkin could possibly be worse, especially if comes here for a one or two year contract of $2m a season.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Wow! I get that some people are down on Tryamkin....but worse than Gudbranson? Are we talking about the same injury-prone d-man whom Benning was hypnotized into bestowing a contract of $4m a year?

He was so bad in his final season in VanCity, that Green couldn't even play him. It was a miracle on Dunsmuir Street that Benning managed to peddle him to a desperate Pens team even up for Pearson at the deadline two years ago. And he's subsequently bounced to Anaheim when the Pens decided he couldn't play either.

All I remember about him was the brain-cramps in his own zone that made Luca Sbisa look like a Norris trophy candidate. And of course his total lack of mobility. Acquiring him from Florida was easily the worst trade of the Benning regime.

So no, there's no way Tryamkin could possibly be worse, especially if comes here for a one or two year contract of $2m a season.
He was *SO* bad, Green gave the minuted free'd up (due to injuries) to the 'green D pairing' of Hutton & Stecher *INSTEAD* of 400+ NHL game veteran No-Good-Bran-Son.:laugh:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
We seemed to do fine with Marksrom and tanev to start the year but added toffoli at the TD .
TT seems to be an added luxury to temporarily replace the injured BB .
I think of the 3 , TT is expendable but we could sure use him too.
The top six is a work in progress. Toffolli is a huge addition. But, if they let him go, there will be a hole to fill. BB is one piece. But he is ‘only’ a solid top six. If they don’t have 2 or 3 elite top sixes, Petterson being one, then they need 6 or 7 solid top sixes. This is about being a perennial contender, not just making it into the playoffs.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
The top six is a work in progress. Toffolli is a huge addition. But, if they let him go, there will be a hole to fill. BB is one piece. But he is ‘only’ a solid top six. If they don’t have 2 or 3 elite top sixes, Petterson being one, then they need 6 or 7 solid top sixes. This is about being a perennial contender, not just making it into the playoffs.
Progress up front is still light years ahead of what's behind the blueline imho. Edler/Tanev ain't going be around forever.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Progress up front is still light years ahead of what's behind the blueline imho. Edler/Tanev ain't going be around forever.
Agreed but history tells us D is transformed mostly through the draft and the occasional trade. UFA free agents D-men are a recipe for giving bad contracts to players who have lost a step.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Agreed but history tells us D is transformed mostly through the draft and the occasional trade. UFA free agents D-men are a recipe for giving bad contracts to players who have lost a step.
It certainly is for this management crew. Problem is, this inability to scout professional players doesn't just extend to UFAs but trades as well (eg., No-Good-Bran-Son & Pizza-Pizza). And then they double down by handing out bad contracts to their *OWN* players (the aforementioned Dumb & Dumber) in their contract extensions.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It certainly is for this management crew. Problem is, this inability to scout professional players doesn't just extend to UFAs but trades as well (eg., No-Good-Bran-Son & Pizza-Pizza). And then they double down by handing out bad contracts to their *OWN* players (the aforementioned Dumb & Dumber) in their contract extensions.
Sure. I was being management team agnostic. If they could do a Seth Jones for Johansen type deal, that would be a way to really upgrade the D and even justify sending Boeser the other way and resigning Toffoli. But those types of deals are very few and far between. They are more likely going to need to get an Edler-like win in the middle rounds. That's why I'm all for putting the existing guys like Rafferty and Rathbone in the line-up sooner rather than later. They need to make a decision on whether AHL/NCAA success is likely to translate into NHL success.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad