Line Combos: Next Year Right Side Defence

Pick 2 of 3 RD next year

• Total voters

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Disclaimer: This is the first thread I have started. Not sure the poll will work correctly.

For me, the RD next year is the most interesting question for this team. I think it is pretty clear that our right side will not be Myers, Tanev, Stecher, and Tryamkin because that is 4 NHL paid defence for a team that will be strapped for cash. Not to mention what to do with Rafferty, Benn (if the LD is full and he plays RD) or even Woo if he has a good camp.

There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding this question. What will be the cap, what would the 3 unsigned RD in the poll sign for, what are the other important FA decisions (Markstrom, Toffoli, etc.). Given we can't know everything, I hope we can make an educated guess, all things considered (but unclear). One particular question that is interesting for me, hence the poll, is Tryamkin vs. Stecher. Both are similar age, same position, likely similar contract, but vastly different size and style. Choice between these two would be telling for the team strategy going forward.

Fortunately for me, I did not make this choice and chose both Stecher and Tryamkin, with Tanev leaving. I love Chris Tanev. He was a warrior who did everything for this team, which his body and career will suffer for in the long term. He was and still is a great defensive RD who can move the puck well. I just have to wonder for how much longer? Tryamkin and Stecher together would likely cost close to the same as Tanev, who would likely miss time with injury. Tanev might require longer term as well, and I feel better keeping Stecher with the other RD being giants in Myers and Tryamkin. Of course, this all depends, and like I said I love Tanev so would not at all be disappointed if he stays.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Reactions: m9

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Benning/Wisebrod created our cap problems. They need to fix those problems, so we can keep the better players (who ironically cost less) than the cap mistakes, who are lesser players.
Of course we should keep Tanev.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Unbelievable Benning has the team in this spot where we have to let quality go in favour of overpaid plugs. That said as much as fan of Tanev Ive been, Im letting him walk to keep Toffoli. Tanev was good last year but he his starting to slide and no way do I sign him for the 4-5 years he'll want. The defense will be an adventure to watch but with extra fire power they can at least try and outscore their problems. The team was at the bottom of the league during Tanevs best years anyway, which kinda sucks for him

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I think they hope they can get Tanev on a short term contract and then let Stetcher go, trade Tryamkins rights and probably slot Raferty as the 3 RD. If Tanev's contract is to rich and long, maybe they try to see if Tryamkin will sign a short cheaper contract.

I am not sure how they are going to make it all work Cap wise but surely they will try and keep some flexibility for 2021 with Petterson and Hughes contracts

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
The hype for Tryamkin is a little ridiculous. He’s a longshot to be an everyday NHL player. I would re-sign Stecher and fill the other spot with Rafferty, allowing us to keep Toffoli. Hate to see Tanev go, but we all knew that Benning’s poor decisions would lead to us losing some good players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What the odds that both Tanev (if he returns) and Edler will be able to stay healthy for an 82-game schedule next season? Far less than 50/50 I'd say.

And if they go into next season with the same set of blueliners they ended the season with, then injuries and a lack of depth could propel them back into lottery land.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Stecher has been easily forgettable since Hutton was kicked to the curb. Not that Hutton was any special by himself (he was the weaker of the two imho). What they DID have was chemistry.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
I love tanev, but drop him, trade troy, sign Train and then time to find out what Ollie has got, if he falls flat bring in Bog or someone else.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think we're going to have no choice but to lean primarily on some up and coming prospects such as Juolevi, Rafferty, and Rathbone to fill in the holes. I'm hoping at least one of them steps up and looks like they have the promise to be a successful top 4 defender as early as next season.

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Tryamkin-Rafferty

Juolevi, Rathbone as injury call ups or to cycle through the line up. We'd have to carry a 7th dman at below 1mil.

This would mean trading both Stecher and Benn, which I do feel is somewhat unlikely.

The only other alternative is to use an asset to move on from Eriksson, then we can afford to keep Stecher in the mix among other things.

So then, to clarify, my vote is on re-signing Tanev to a 4 year deal worth around 5mil per season.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Madison Bowey might be a good pick-up at a low cost. Valuable considering he'd be at a low hit and it'd give Jett Woo the opportunity to develop.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Benning/Wisebrod created our cap problems. They need to fix those problems, so we can keep the better players (who ironically cost less) than the cap mistakes, who are lesser players.
Of course we should keep Tanev.

They won't, they've been making these mistakes since the first week on the job. They let undervalued 3rd liners like Richardson and Matthias walk in exchange for 1st round picks who couldn't cut it in the NHL and signed a bunch of overpriced goobers the year after to fill the spots they created.

Benning & co lucked into everything good they've ever done.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If we get a compliance buyout I’d go with Tanev, Stecher and Rafferty.

This is what I'm hoping for. Buying out Eriksson basically fixes everything. Maybe, for once, we can give a long term contract to a younger player who doesn't suck (Toffoli) for a better cap hit. If not... using a regular buyout on Roussel and/or Beagle actually saves us quite a bit. So maybe that's our option.

Grumpy1

Feb 8, 2015
The hype for Tryamkin is a little ridiculous. He’s a longshot to be an everyday NHL player.
I agree. Unless he comes in with a better attitude, i cant see green gifting him ice time until he earns it.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think throwing term at Tanev is likely a mistake but a necessary mistake in the short term. Unfortunately the Canucks still rely on Edler/Tanev to do the heavy lifting on the backend and there is no solution internally or in free agency that is going to replace what either bring at a comparable cost. Tyler Myers can’t play hard minutes, Tryamkin should not be expected to play more than third pairing minutes, Rafferty is an untested rookie, and Juolevi doesn’t know how to play defense.

If the expectations are that the rebuild is over they can’t afford to downgrade their defense. Clinging onto a decent scoring winger like Toffoli would be a massive mistake.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
They won't, they've been making these mistakes since the first week on the job. They let undervalued 3rd liners like Richardson and Matthias walk in exchange for 1st round picks who couldn't cut it in the NHL and signed a bunch of overpriced goobers the year after to fill the spots they created.

Benning & co lucked into everything good they've ever done.
What a dumb take. Benning was a big part of the Bruins success and is known as an excellent scout.
I for the life of me can't understand why some of the contracts we have were signed to allow the team to develop properly instead of being rushed. LE in hindsight was a mistake but that signing was done over Bennings head. If the world didn't stop the cap was expected to be 88 mil allowing Benning some flexibility. The Nucks are in a great position cap wise over the next 2 seasons with every contract of the placeholders coming off the books to be filled with our own prospects.
If Benning wants to sign Tanev, Toffoli and Marky there are plenty of options. There is a good chance even without a compliance buyout that LE is done. After his bonus he will be owed 6 mill, he may decide that spending 2 years in the AHL isn't worth it, he'll maybe he pulls a Luongo and takes a job within the org.

Beagle, Rouselle Sutter all have value. Trading one of them plus the expected termination of Baers contract along with not resigning Stech opens up 9-11 mill, plenty to cover TT and the raise Tanev and Marky will get.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
What a dumb take. Benning was a big part of the Bruins success and is known as an excellent scout.
I for the life of me can't understand why some of the contracts we have were signed to allow the team to develop properly instead of being rushed. LE in hindsight was a mistake but that signing was done over Bennings head. If the world didn't stop the cap was expected to be 88 mil allowing Benning some flexibility. The Nucks are in a great position cap wise over the next 2 seasons with every contract of the placeholders coming off the books to be filled with our own prospects.
If Benning wants to sign Tanev, Toffoli and Marky there are plenty of options. There is a good chance even without a compliance buyout that LE is done. After his bonus he will be owed 6 mill, he may decide that spending 2 years in the AHL isn't worth it, he'll maybe he pulls a Luongo and takes a job within the org.

Beagle, Rouselle Sutter all have value. Trading one of them plus the expected termination of Baers contract along with not resigning Stech opens up 9-11 mill, plenty to cover TT and the raise Tanev and Marky will get.

Thinking Eriksson will walk away from 6 million is optimistic. Beagle doesn’t have value, Sutter would need retention to have value. Why would Baertschi terminate possibly his last big money deal? If we don’t resign Stech we still need to replace his spot in the lineup.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

“What a dumb take” proceeds to dreamland.

Reactions: rypper

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

It's unreal that your post started with "what a dumb take" then proceeded to dream aloud about how the Canucks might make the playoffs next year if half the team's bad contracts decide to retire

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
If we can’t resign Tanev to a sweetheart deal, let him go and go for a low cost option in the short run. Also resign Stecher on short term deal.

Hughes Demelo/Weegar
Edler Stecher
Fantenberg Myers
Benn

We should also get some time in for Rafferty and Juolevi, to get a good look. If we can sign Rathbone before or after college season ends, obviously that be great.

For the 2021 offseason or preceding deadline, go hard after Jonas Brodin. If the youngsters take a step forward that would be the time to let one of Edler or Myers go.

Hughes Demelo/Weegar
Brodin Rathbone
Edler/Juolevi Myers
Brisebois

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad