Line Combos: Next Year Right Side Defence

Pick 2 of 3 RD next year

• Total voters

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
If we can’t resign Tanev to a sweetheart deal, let him go and go for a low cost option in the short run. Also resign Stecher on short term deal.

Hughes Demelo/Weegar
Edler Stecher
Fantenberg Myers
Benn

We should also get some time in for Rafferty and Juolevi, to get a good look. If we can sign Rathbone before or after college season ends, obviously that be great.

For the 2021 offseason or preceding deadline, go hard after Jonas Brodin. If the youngsters take a step forward that would be the time to let one of Edler or Myers go.

Hughes Demelo/Weegar
Brodin Rathbone
Edler/Juolevi Myers
Brisebois
I can see that for Rafferty but why Juolevi? Guy can't play decent defensively at the AHL level; why call up him and be exposed badly against NHL competition?

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
If we can’t resign Tanev to a sweetheart deal, let him go and go for a low cost option in the short run. Also resign Stecher on short term deal.

Hughes Demelo/Weegar
Edler Stecher
Fantenberg Myers
Benn

We should also get some time in for Rafferty and Juolevi, to get a good look. If we can sign Rathbone before or after college season ends, obviously that be great.

For the 2021 offseason or preceding deadline, go hard after Jonas Brodin. If the youngsters take a step forward that would be the time to let one of Edler or Myers go.

Hughes Demelo/Weegar
Brodin Rathbone
Edler/Juolevi Myers
Brisebois

Rathbone plays the left side.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
I'm terrified of Tanev getting a 3+ year deal, if he won't sign a 2 year deal then let him go, signing him long term will be crippling along with Myers anchor contract on the right hand side

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Unfortunately all the terrible contracts that Benning has signed now mean we have to jettison some quality players just as we are beginning to become competitive,just like many on here have predicted.

I’d say that Tanev is the one we can least afford to lose as without him,our D is going to be pretty dreadful at defending. QH was a revelation but he can’t do it alone, Edler is really getting up there in age and is slowing down and is injury prone. Benn is a 6/7 guy at best ,Stectcher plays hard but is undersized and not really a standout defensively or offensively.Good utility guy to have on the bottom pairing but makes too much for that role so he’s likely gone unless he takes a pay cut. Myers is what he is,can be good with a defensible sound LHD but can’t anchor a pairing.

If Tanev wants a long term deal north of 4M and more than 3 years then we probably can’t afford to keep him as that would become an albatross contract when we need to start paying our star players..Our only near term hope to replace him is the big Russian who is unsigned and no guarantee to come over.Woo is still a ways away and will need to be eased in before he can do much heavy lifting defensively.If Tanev walks and Try doesn’t come over,we’ll be the new Leafs for awhile.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I prefer Tanev over Stecher and Tryamkin but I honestly don't think they will be able to sign all three of Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev. Markstrom is the priority. Toffoli if they can keep him. In fact I would prioritize Toffoli over Stecher.

And my thinking is longer term. If I felt Tanev had 3 years left in him at a top 4 level, he would be higher on my list.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The hype for Tryamkin is a little ridiculous. He’s a longshot to be an everyday NHL player. I would re-sign Stecher and fill the other spot with Rafferty, allowing us to keep Toffoli. Hate to see Tanev go, but we all knew that Benning’s poor decisions would lead to us losing some good players.

Weird that you call Tryamkin a long shot and over-hyped then proceed to pencil Rafferty in to our 2021 line-up. Gold.

Agree we keep Stecher - I'm in the camp of both Stecher and Tryamkin. Sorry Tanev we cant afford you.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that you call Tryamkin a long shot and over-hyped then proceed to pencil Rafferty in to our 2021 line-up. Gold.

Agree we keep Stecher - I'm in the camp of both Stecher and Tryamkin. Sorry Tanev we cant afford you.
I didn’t see an NHL player in Tryamkin’s stint here. I don’t think he has the puck skills or processing speed to keep up with the NHL game. He iced the puck constantly because he was unable to transition the puck effectively. Those skills are tough to develop and I can’t imagine that he vastly improved that area of his game after 3 seasons in the KHL. Admittedly, I haven’t seen enough of Rafferty to have a firm opinion either way but he has done everything he possibly could have. I think he has at least earned a spot on the third pairing to start the season.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Tanev is still capable of playing tough minutes but this defensive core moving forward sums up the incompetence of this regime, horrible foresight and nowhere near a good enough defense to compete moving forward.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I'm terrified of Tanev getting a 3+ year deal, if he won't sign a 2 year deal then let him go, signing him long term will be crippling along with Myers anchor contract on the right hand side

The CBA expires in 2022; players with any leverage aren't going to sign a 2-year deal. There might be a chance that some impending UFA's will sign 1-year deals with their current teams for next season because of all of the uncertainty in the world at present. But if Tanev doesn't want to go that route, he'll want at least three years.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
The CBA expires in 2022; players with any leverage aren't going to sign a 2-year deal. There might be a chance that some impending UFA's will sign 1-year deals with their current teams for next season because of all of the uncertainty in the world at present. But if Tanev doesn't want to go that route, he'll want at least three years.

then see ya Chris, thanks for the memories

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Tanev is still a top four defenceman who can play with Quinn and we don't have a legitimate top two to replace him at this time.
We can't afford to downgrade to Meyers and Stetcher as our top two.
So unless we replace Tanev and Stetchers salaries with an ufa dman upgrade then we need Tanev .
I'm okay with a three year deal for Tanev as long as hes ED eligible.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tanev is still a top four defenceman who can play with Quinn and we don't have a legitimate top two to replace him at this time.
So unless we replace Tanev and Stetchers salaries with an ufa dman upgrade then we need Tanev .
Love to resign Tanev, but we don’t have the cap room to resign Marky, so how do we fit in Tanev? Our D next season will look really young. Hughes, Juiolevi, and Rafferty will all be on the team. Hughes, of course, is our best D man, but the other two aren’t as good as Tanev and Stecher, but they will be on the team because they are cheap ELCs, and Benning forced us against the cap.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Fine but who are you going to let go, Markstrom or Toffoli? Actually it's likely that even with letting Toffoli go, they can only afford two of Stecher, Tanev, and Markstrom.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I didn’t see an NHL player in Tryamkin’s stint here. I don’t think he has the puck skills or processing speed to keep up with the NHL game. He iced the puck constantly because he was unable to transition the puck effectively. Those skills are tough to develop and I can’t imagine that he vastly improved that area of his game after 3 seasons in the KHL. Admittedly, I haven’t seen enough of Rafferty to have a firm opinion either way but he has done everything he possibly could have. I think he has at least earned a spot on the third pairing to start the season.

I dont disagree with you on your observations of Tryamkin - I think he would be an adequate 3rd pairing guy and that's about it. I just find it funny you think Rafferty has earned a spot on our 3rd pair - the guy has legit never seen NHL ice so please stop over-rating him.

Nov 1, 2011
I do find it a little crazy that we have a $6m dollar dman penciled into the #3 RD slot.

What could we get for Myers? ...or maybe we just shouldn't have him on the third pair.

Run with Tanev, Stecher, and Tray...use excess money from the Myers to Tray downgrade to sign our UFAs...

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
I truthfully think you just run with:

Hughes-Tryamkin
Edler-Rafferty
Myers-Benn/(Woo/Juolevi/Brisebois/Chatfield/Sautner)

Many will disagree and that's fine by me.

The only other thing I would try, if they don't go the Tryamkin route - which again many will disagree, but: Boeser for Brodin +

Hughes-Brodin
Edler-Rafferty
Myers-Benn/(Woo/Juolevi/Brisebois/Chatfield/Sautner)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I do find it a little crazy that we have a $6m dollar dman penciled into the #3 RD slot.

What could we get for Myers? ...or maybe we just shouldn't have him on the third pair.

Run with Tanev, Stecher, and Tray...use excess money from the Myers to Tray downgrade to sign our UFAs...
Another cap dump in return? Sneezy says it's the fault of Gillis.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Fine but who are you going to let go, Markstrom or Toffoli? Actually it's likely that even with letting Toffoli go, they can only afford two of Stecher, Tanev, and Markstrom.
We seemed to do fine with Marksrom and tanev to start the year but added toffoli at the TD .
TT seems to be an added luxury to temporarily replace the injured BB .
I think of the 3 , TT is expendable but we could sure use him too.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Love to resign Tanev, but we don’t have the cap room to resign Marky, so how do we fit in Tanev? Our D next season will look really young. Hughes, Juiolevi, and Rafferty will all be on the team. Hughes, of course, is our best D man, but the other two aren’t as good as Tanev and Stecher, but they will be on the team because they are cheap ELCs, and Benning forced us against the cap.
We were winning without TT to start the year so perhaps hes most expendable out of the threee

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
It sounds like Tanev is open to a 1 year extension, if it was at the same salary that would be ideal imo. Hughes and Tanev get the best out of each other and that would be good to see for one more year. Tryamkin's an upgrade on Stecher, so the writing is on the wall there. I love Stechers heart, but he gets beat a lot by larger players and if you're going to have to pick between two players that don't provide offence you go with the bigger player all things being equal.

Reactions: Cogburn

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hughes Rafferty
Edler Stecher
Fantenberg Myers
Benn

Rathbone
Juolevi
Brisebois
Woo

Sign Markstrom & Toffoli (I’d keep Toffoli over Tanev).

Stecher, Virtanen, Gaudette & 1 of Leivo or Motte should be resigned. Leaves little room to sign a good Dman, roll with the youngsters, if they aren’t living up to their potential look at other ways to bring someone in (trade, waivers etc.). Have to give youth a chance, with Rafferty, Rathbone, Brisebois, Juolevi, Woo etc. in the system at least 1 would be an NHLer you’d think.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Dhaliwal saying that reports that Tanev is willing to take a 1 year deal are not correct.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't see Tanev asking for a higher cap hit than he has now.

Stecher has earned more, but if he's alright taking a comparable amount to what he has now, I'm happy to accommodate him. I feel he is the least valuable of the three mentioned.

Tryamkin was swell as a bottom pairing, all around defenseman when he was playing here three years ago. If he is coming in at the same cost as Stecher, I'd rather take a chance on him over one of the others.

The only way I am alright with Tanev and Stecher both walking as UFAs is if we have another D lined up by trade or UFA. McDonagh, a legitimate top pairing RHD, is someone that Lightning fans are hoping will waive his NTC (some fans are saying he could go as cheaply as a 4th round pick if he waives, simply to save his cap hit). Ristolainen is seemingly equally available, but I'm less excited about his skill set and potential cost to us. Braun, Hamonic, Vatanen and Pietrangelo (can you imagine?) are all UFA this off season as well. If we pull a player like one of these guys in, one of them and Tryamkin and Myers is an acceptable 1-2-3. Tanev-X-Myers is also a decent set for me as well.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Dhaliwal saying that reports that Tanev is willing to take a 1 year deal are not correct.

He also said that Tryamkin would be looking for a one year deal in the $2-3m range. It's the cap uncertainty that's getting in the way of talks.

A 2-3m ask from Tryamkin and I'm hanging up the phone and walking away. He's not that good.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Im not sure why anyone would believe Tanev would accept a 1 year deal

Guy is 30 years old.
He suited up for every game this year which would be a first for him in career.

He would be a complete idiot to take a 1 year deal at this point in his life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad