Friedman: Next Year Is An “All In Year” For Colorado

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Do you think the Avs would go for Holtby or Lehner? Also, is there any word on them going for Pietrangelo?

I think they'd be better off going the route of getting a solid D-man and goalie over Hall.

I'm sure if Pietrangelo makes it to UFA they will try damn hard to lure him but I dont think we're as desperate as other clubs to get him so we probably get out bid.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It’s pretty clear Colorado has a really good team + ton of cap room for a single year and should probably go all in. That’s not super newsworthy. Friedman says he thinks they will be creative and throws out some scenarios.

I like him, and I don’t think he’s wrong but not sure if this is some crazy revelation.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
Why yes I Taylor Hall would love to sign on for a year to make the same or less AAV than I would with a long term deal in the open market and risk injury and tens of millions in a long term deal.

Reactions: Hasbro

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Do you think the Avs would go for Holtby or Lehner? Also, is there any word on them going for Pietrangelo?

I think they'd be better off going the route of getting a solid D-man and goalie over Hall.

As someone with as much inside information related to the Avs as Friedman, I don't think they'll go after a goalie. Grubauer and Francouz were both good when they were healthy, and are both signed for next season. We may find a Hutchinson replacement, but that's probably about it. I think the long term plan is to get Annunen to come over and see what he can do.

As for Pietrangelo, I don't see how to make it work without screwing up our cap situation. Offering him 1 year to get a chance at a Cup probably won't do too much, all things considered, and a big money contract with term causes us bigger problems than it's worth.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I highly doubt it. It wouldn’t surprise me if Sakic is much more of a buyer this year, willing to ship our picks and prospects in sensible trades. I’ll be shocked if we sign Hall or trade for Nylander or anything like that.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Nobody that stands to sign a $30M, $40M, $50M, $60M deal is risking signing for one year and having their career ended.

Reactions: topshelf15

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
One year is risky for Hall. If he doesn’t put up good numbers on a good team like Colorado, or misses a good portion of the season due to injuries, he could hurt his next long term contract.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I see them making the biggest trades possible. I mean whatever they can get they will, but what I think Colorado should do if they can't get Matt Murray is go after John Gibson. I mean, Anaheim is rebuilding anyway, why not get lots of value and have Gibson make the Avs chances go up. Plus the Ducks would be wasting his talent with a rebuilding team. Or they could trade for Carey Price, not trying to make a Patrick Roy joke or reference.

I could see Hall taking a discount on a short term deal.

But what they really... need to load up on is defense. But I expect Byram to make the team next season, plus it saves money to put him on the roster for the Avalanche.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
It’s pretty clear Colorado has a really good team + ton of cap room for a single year and should probably go all in. That’s not super newsworthy. Friedman says he thinks they will be creative and throws out some scenarios.

I like him, and I don’t think he’s wrong but not sure if this is some crazy revelation.
You're right, it's not some crazy revelation. Just looking at the Avs' offseason last year and how they finished this year I'm guessing most people on this site would come to the same conclusion. Whether they can pull it off or not is the real question...

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Why would he lie?

What does he do for a living? Everything he said is safe for him to say because Sakic would have to open up about details if he were to dispute it. These guys know they can peddle gossip and take liberties at times as a result.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Might not seem sexy enough but a goalie like Greiss could be huge for Colorado. He’s been great in his isles tenure and really good in the playoffs. He single handily best the panthers in 2016 playoffs. Could also be bad for cheap in my opinion.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
What does he do for a living? Everything he said is safe for him to say because Sakic would have to open up about details if he were to dispute it. These guys know they can peddle gossip and take liberties at times as a result.
What he does for a living requires credibility, if you believe he is just making things up for the sake of it I don't know what to say. He's probably heard some things and speculated from there.

Reactions: egelband

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
One year is risky for Hall. If he doesn’t put up good numbers on a good team like Colorado, or misses a good portion of the season due to injuries, he could hurt his next long term contract.
or if he puts up overinflated numbers he’ll get overinflated dollars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad