Friedman: Next Year Is An “All In Year” For Colorado

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Then you might as well give up. No reasonable Avs fan is going to offer you Byram, especially for taking Lundqvist's last year off your hands.

1. Relative to the above, you are not taking Hank's last yr off our hands, we would be letting you have him cheap for 1 yr which is in line w/thread emphasis of Avs going all in.
Hank is better short term option than anything you have, or may reasonably expect to have made available. The only one close IMO is Raanta, and AZ will want for him.
Let's not forget HL is certain HoF, and only risking 1 yr at 4.5 is a steal.

If no interest, happy to keep him and just take swag on moving Geo as planned, while Tyler Wall moves along in the process.

----------

As to everyone else, thanks for the courtesy of a reply, courteous or otherwise.
It is apparent you are NOT serious about OP's prop seeking to go all in.
That means you pay and sacrifice to get a difference making leg up on other finalist contenders.

Your G is deficit. Not horrid but deficit.
Your D was uneven and it failed you when you needed it.

Keep Johnson + co. See where it gets you.
Sure Makar is brilliant but that's 1 guy he needs help.
Like it or not Deangelo WOULD help, as few if any alternatives available by trade.

As to price demanded, BB, sure, he is better long term kept, but again OP asked (effectively) what moves could be done, by extension how far would you go?
NY and presumably no other club will give you a serious upgrade for the likes of Jost.
Some are big on Newhook, not me.

If BB not included, fine.
Roll w/what you have again, basically, and see where that gets you.
It's not impossible the same crew w/better execution could go further.
But if you want to improve your odds, you deal.

That again leaves ? of only how far will you go.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
True. But at this point, the Avs are in the mix with a bunch of other young and good teams. They are at this point because they rebuilt with youth--the goal is to take the next step--and you do that with the right, key veterans and impact acquisitions. It's what the Kings, Blackhawks and Bruins did--even the Pens to a point kept adding vets and contributors.

See, that's the thing, I don't think it will if the Canadiens are willing to retain the 30%. Weber would be 5.5 mil and Girard is 5 mil--soo that's a $500,000 increase for arguably the best, veteran D leader on the planet. Price is a bit trickier--his contract would be $7.7 mil--but I think that's doable if it's the only "big contract addition" you are adding.

I mean, some people on here are suggesting throwing 8-9 million at Taylor Hall. I'd rather spend that $8.2 millon extra on the Combo of Weber and Price--but that's just me.

This is not even remotely feasible unless the Habs retain--I said that from the beginning. I would never suggest taking on the full $18 millon for Price and Weber :laugh:

Which overpriced 35 year old defensemen did the Kings add before they won their first Cup? Which overpriced 33 year old goalie did those teams add? I don't disagree that adding "the right, key veterans and impact acquisitions" should be part of our plan, only that Price and Weber fit that bill in any way whatsoever. I don't care if Montreal retains 50%, the answer is still a very hard no from me, because even then, those contracts are at least 3 years too long.

For the record, I'm also against throwing money at Hall or Pietrangelo. I think the focus should be finding more youngsters who can outperform their contracts, not expensive old guys we hope can live up to them.

Reactions: bernmeister

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Get McDavid from Edmonton as a loan for one year. Avs can put down a collateral, gold, diamonds etc....

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
No player in their prime is going to sign a 1year contract, get that out of your heads. Only players that sign 1-year deals are fringer NHLers and older players who are looking for one more shot at the Cup. Hall will only sign with a team that can offer him term, and that's going to be Florida.

Selanne and Kariya did it.

That said, It's super rare and I don't see Hall doing it.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
1. Relative to the above, you are not taking Hank's last yr off our hands, we would be letting you have him cheap for 1 yr which is in line w/thread emphasis of Avs going all in.
Hank is better short term option than anything you have, or may reasonably expect to have made available. The only one close IMO is Raanta, and AZ will want for him.

If no interest, happy to keep him and just take swag on moving Geo as planned, while Tyler Wall moves along in the process.

----------

As to everyone else, thanks for the courtesy of a reply, courteous or otherwise.
That means you pay and sacrifice to get a difference making leg up on other finalist contenders.

Like it or not Deangelo WOULD help, as few if any alternatives available by trade.

As to price demanded, BB, sure, he is better long term kept, but again OP asked (effectively) what moves could be done, by extension how far would you go?
NY and presumably no other club will give you a serious upgrade for the likes of Jost.

Entertaining posts... It's kind of weird and funny that you seem to be actually serious. You think the Avs need to give up Byram because Lunqvist is somehow the missing piece of the puzzle? At 38 years old? It's great that he had a great career in New York but that literally means nothing to anyone in Colorado and nor should it. He hasn't had a great season in quite some time.

As long as you realize that it's the exact same thing as if Avs fans were peddling Joe Sakic at the very end of his career for a young, promising goaltender in Lundqvist some 12-13 years ago. You would have laughed at those Avs fans at that time and rightfully so.

Your premise seems to be that Lundqvist and Tony "oh no, I've worn-out my welcome... again" Deangelo are the ONLY options for the Avs or else they are screwed. Ridiculous. They have a ton of capspace & some solid prospects - they have loads of options.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if Byram was moved as part of a package that would give us a more proven and established d-man and perhaps a new starting goaltender from a rebuilding team but if that happens, you can bet that the d-man is going to be a player that's 25-27 years old and is going to stick with the club for 5+ years.

Another poster in this thread had the right idea - players like Hampus Lindholm and to a slightly lesser extent Jonas Brodin would be the type of players that the Avs would be looking for. A guy that can play big minutes, won't likely break the bank on his next contract but would be an upgrade on a kid like Ryan Graves to play with Makar - that's what the Avs need.

Not a guy like Deangelo who puts up points but needs to be sheltered. The Avs had that guy and traded him to Toronto.

Deangelo & Max Domi are "available" because fans of those teams know that they are going to warrant contracts that they will have trouble living up to. This is extremely, extremely obvious.

I just don't get the idea of trying to convince fans of another team on a message board that the deal he/she is offering, is a really good one for their team and then getting all passive-aggressive when people fail to fall into their "trap". I mean, what do you get if they go along with your idea? Win the internet?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Neither does your assumption that he has no connections within the organization. I'm not saying you're wrong....just you have no idea if you're right or wrong. He has proven to have a ton of sources, so even if he isn't tied into Joe Sakic directly, it doesn't mean scouts, front-office staff, players, agents, etc. aren't also in the know. Even if it's just Joe telling Nate that we're going all-in next year and that gets out. He's not Eklund.
I’ll believe some of these journalists have sources in North Korea before the Avalanche.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Entertaining posts... It's kind of weird and funny that you seem to be actually serious. You think the Avs need to give up Byram because Lunqvist is somehow the missing piece of the puzzle? At 38 years old? It's great that he had a great career in New York but that literally means nothing to anyone in Colorado and nor should it. He hasn't had a great season in quite some time.

As long as you realize that it's the exact same thing as if Avs fans were peddling Joe Sakic at the very end of his career for a young, promising goaltender in Lundqvist some 12-13 years ago. You would have laughed at those Avs fans at that time and rightfully so.

Your premise seems to be that Lundqvist and Tony "oh no, I've worn-out my welcome... again" Deangelo are the ONLY options for the Avs or else they are screwed. Ridiculous. They have a ton of capspace & some solid prospects - they have loads of options.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if Byram was moved as part of a package that would give us a more proven and established d-man and perhaps a new starting goaltender from a rebuilding team but if that happens, you can bet that the d-man is going to be a player that's 25-27 years old and is going to stick with the club for 5+ years.

Another poster in this thread had the right idea - players like Hampus Lindholm and to a slightly lesser extent Jonas Brodin would be the type of players that the Avs would be looking for. A guy that can play big minutes, won't likely break the bank on his next contract but would be an upgrade on a kid like Ryan Graves to play with Makar - that's what the Avs need.

Not a guy like Deangelo who puts up points but needs to be sheltered. The Avs had that guy and traded him to Toronto.

Deangelo & Max Domi are "available" because fans of those teams know that they are going to warrant contracts that they will have trouble living up to. This is extremely, extremely obvious.

I just don't get the idea of trying to convince fans of another team on a message board that the deal he/she is offering, is a really good one for their team and then getting all passive-aggressive when people fail to fall into their "trap". I mean, what do you get if they go along with your idea? Win the internet?

thanks for the "entertaining" acknowledgement.
It IS serious as is typical for my posts.
Originations I initiate are different, but

When responding, I always attempt to respect OP premise, agree, disagree,

The OP premise here was to what extent can Avs max short term to go all in.
You need upgrades in G and D with depth at F.
My prop addressed that.
I get Avs don't want to move BB, any more than NY wants to move it's bluest blue chips.
In this instance, OP inquiry transcends that.
In this instance, if my deal cap neutral advances premise of how to win next year max chances, then even if long term folly, it is appropriate.

ps Deangelo has not worn out his welcome.
Trouba is already getting paid
Dea will get paid after next year or 2 at 4.5ish

Nothing nefarious in getting ahead of the curve and dealing him now

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
Some of these posts are wild. If anyone knows the Avalanche and there front office they don’t rush stuff and they sure don’t trade the farm because of one bad outcome. How long did it take Sakic to trade Duchene? He goes after players that add to what the core already is with in mind they have to be around the same age. We have some vets here in Johnson, Calvert, etc all with playoff experience. And I’m sure after hearing that Frank was playing injured and Grubauer getting hurt he’s gonna ride them again this year because not only are they cost efficient they were really good in the regular season and Grubauer was excellent until his injury in the playoffs. All I see for the Avalanche this offseason is more depth and more defence. Hope I never see Ian Cole play another game for them, guy is DONE.

Reactions: Richard88

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

----------

We lost in OT of game 7 in a series where we had to go to our 3rd goalie and got .870 goaltending. I’m not going to be too worried about having to roll with the roster we have.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They should do what the Canucks did with Sundin and give it all to Hall for one season.
Big difference in situation between Sundin in his late 30's vs a 28 going on 29 Hall.

I have to say as a Canuck's fan, when the JT Miller trade went down at the draft, I was thinking to myself, this sounded more like a trade that Colorado should be making, as his contract would expire in the same year as MacKinnon's. Seemed like a better fit to get another guy whose game is similar to Landy. Didn't expect a 70 odd point pace from Miller, more around mid to high 50's as he did crack the 50's before.

Think that is what Colorado has to do. Use their cap space to pick up quality players that other teams have to let go due to a flat cap. Teams like STL, NYI, TB, CBS, TOR, etc are mostly capped out, so if a player with a NTC waives it, I would imagine Colorado would make the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad