Next season

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
I want to see long-term success, a hard-working, grounded and committed core and a lot of youth surrounded by veterans with good character. That's not going to suddenly appear within the next few years, so next season, I'm going to simply be watching for the right changes in the roster and in the team's attitude (this is KEY), whether they win or lose. I will NOT be hoping for a playoff spot, since the last thing this city needs is false hope (since there's no way whatever this team looks like next year will make it past the first round). Next season isn't about results for me, it's about trends and potential.

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
In October, Ill be cheering for them to win. The IDEAL scenario is having several young guys break out, and the Leafs not needing a high pick to put together a good core, because a good core would already be coming together. Best case scenario is Rielly breaks out as the new young Doughty/Pietrangelo/etc, Nylander contends for the Calder, Kadri progresses into a ~60-65 point two-way centre, Gardiner rounds out his game and breaks out with a 40+ point season, and our goaltending bounces back to above average.

In saying that, the above is very very unlikely. Regardless of where the Leafs finish, I want to see some core players moved out, a focus on drafting, and a focus on asset management. We need to beef up the farm, and continue getting value for guys instead of losing them for nothing. Which means very likely another bottom 5-10 finish next season, unless our youth surprises (as opposed to our mediocre lazy older core surprising, because theyll have mostly been traded away). I also dont want to rush guys, and would lean towards Nylander getting a full season as the Marlies #1 centre, that way he can get his first full season as a centre in the last 2-3 years.

I also dont want to see the offseason defined by moves that prioritize making the playoffs next season, but instead on putting a solid foundation in place longterm. Remember, all top 3 picks go to lottery next year, so even if we finish around ~20th (previous "no-mans land"), we'd have a shot at three different lotteries. Sell off pending UFAs and some of our old core on top of that, and even if we dont end up with a top 2-3 pick, we should still be adding substantially to the farm, which will improve our odds of hitting a homerun simply via volume of prospects.

Rielly could have a great season next season if they get a better coach. in one or two more years he will be a top dman .

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I'll cheer for them to maximize trade returns.

Next year not only do we need to be getting a high first rounder we need to be maximizing trade returns for pieces that don't fit 3+ years from now like UFAs signed this off-season, Robidas, Polak, Lupul, Bozak, Reimer etc.

Its rough right now but getting valuable long term assets for Franson, Santorelli, Winnik vs. losing guys like Grabo, Kulemin, CMac for nothing is a major part of what is needed to turn this franchise around a few years from now.

Our top youngsters in the top pick this year, Brown, Nylander, Percy, Leipsic, Leivo, Finn could crack the team next year but most if not all are 2 or 3 seasons from making a significant impact. Sucking next year gets us some more assets by sellers well getting some of those guys more NHL minutes to prepare them for 16-17 and beyond.

Last edited:

Shwaguy*

I'd rather us pull a (Sustainable) Calgary with a good coach than finish bottom 5. Because then it means all our young players are hitting their expectations.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Shanny has all ready been given the support from MLSE he will have the final say and will do a proper re-build. I doubt the Browns/Nylander/and any other young prospects without significant time spent in the Ahl make it unless they totally dominate training camp. We will be in tank territory most of all next season and will likely be signing more David booths and other lower UFA rentals to get by next year, while trying to properly develop the Reilly's and other good prospects we keep on the current roster. Mcdavid good change things a lot if we win the lotto.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00