Next season

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
We need at least another top 5 pick before I start cheering for the Leafs to get better.

Also, it's too early to say who the 1st overall could be in 2016. Could be Austin Matthews, could be Jesse Puljujarvi, could be Jakob Chychrun, could even be Sean Day. Frankly, I hope one of the defensemen develops beyond expectations, since the Leafs still need a partner for Rielly.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Next years odds change things a bit, but finishing last still means your VERY likely getting a top 3 pick

CalgaryLeaf*

Only a psycho would start a tank thread from game 1 of next season...:D

I'll be hoping for some progress and a few more wins...It just isn't natural for a leafs fan to hope for the worst when a new season begins.I'm a tanker this year but I'll have to grow into that mindset as the season progresses and the losses start to accumulate.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Only a psycho would start a tank thread from game 1 of next season...:D

I'll be hoping for some progress and a few more wins...It just isn't natural for a leafs fan to hope for the worst when a new season begins.I'm a tanker this year but I'll have to grow into that mindset as the season progresses and the losses start to accumulate.

I would not be shocked to see one in the Pre-season.:naughty:

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
As long as the team goes out and at least tries that's the main thing I care about.

Honestly we're probably going to be terrible next year, but with the top three picks being all lottery picks there's not much in the way of certain things when it comes to drafting top 3.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
A few reasons why I think we'll be better:

1) No David Clarkson... we can use the cap space to sign a player that actually helps us win.
2) No Kessel line... a big reason we suck this year is because the top line stopped scoring, but continued getting scored against. If we trade Kessel and Bozak for players that help us win games, that improves our team a lot.
3) Addition of players like Nylander, Brown, and our 1st from this year. We basically get to add three impact players for free.
4) No Franson... I still think he sucks and we'll be better without him.
5) A huge reason why we've been so bad lately is Brewer and our bottom pairing. We should be much deeper on defense next year with guys like Percy ready to make the jump.
6) New coach. Both our coaches this year sucked.
7) Reilly (and Gardiner) bringing it.

I just think that the changes that will be made in the off-season will actually make us better. Some people think that by trading guys like Kessel that we'll be a worse team... whereas I disagree. I think there will be a lot of changes coming, and I think those changes are going to improve the team. We'll make the changes, fill some holes with some well picked UFA signings... and when we combine everything together, we'll actually have a real team. Now that we have a green light to make the changes we need, guys like Dubas can really have an influence in building a team that wins hockey games.

CalgaryLeaf*

A few reasons why I think we'll be better:

1) No David Clarkson... we can use the cap space to sign a player that actually helps us win.
2) No Kessel line... a big reason we suck this year is because the top line stopped scoring, but continued getting scored against. If we trade Kessel and Bozak for players that help us win games, that improves our team a lot.
3) Addition of players like Nylander, Brown, and our 1st from this year. We basically get to add three impact players for free.
4) No Franson... I still think he sucks and we'll be better without him.
5) A huge reason why we've been so bad lately is Brewer and our bottom pairing. We should be much deeper on defense next year with guys like Percy ready to make the jump.
6) New coach. Both our coaches this year sucked.
7) Reilly (and Gardiner) bringing it.

I just think that the changes that will be made in the off-season will actually make us better. Some people think that by trading guys like Kessel that we'll be a worse team... whereas I disagree. I think there will be a lot of changes coming, and I think those changes are going to improve the team. We'll make the changes, fill some holes with some well picked UFA signings... and when we combine everything together, we'll actually have a real team. Now that we have a green light to make the changes we need, guys like Dubas can really have an influence in building a team that wins hockey games.

I'll be shocked if Nylander & Brown don't spend another year in the AHL next season.

Shanahan will probably follow the Detroit Model of developing prospects slowly...In Detroit it's uncomfortably slow according to many of their fans...lol

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
If Nylander, Brown, and/or our first pick this year are in the line up next year I'll eat my hat.

Don't see it happening.

ragingsemi

Feb 28, 2015
Will you be cheering the leafs to win next year with a bad team or want to tank for Austin Matthews ?

Next year is a another tank year. We repeat much of this past season--sign some decent role players for cheap, sell at the deadline for draft picks, trade out pieces of the old core as able--and try to stay "in" the losses better.

Next year is likely gonna have a hell of a top-5, much like this year. Matthews is just one. Alex DeBrincat, Matthew Tkachuk, Jakob Chychrun, all look to be solid 1st line/1st pairing players. It's a good year for a tank team, even if you're picking 7th or 8th. Obviously no guarantee, but all of these kids are putting up crazy numbers for 16 year olds right now.

We can probably think of taking the next step in about 2 seasons' time, when our young core can start flushing the lineup out better.

Outside of a complete overhaul with some very lucky trades and signings, this team doesn't have a shot in hell of winning a playoff round next season. Might as well stay focused on development.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I agree, but assuming that most of our younger players are still around (Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Holland, JVR) and some others make the jump, theres no reason this team can't over preform like the Flames.

Anything can happen when you begin to assemble the right mix of hard work,skill and compete. Skill alone is not enough and doesn't trump playing a team that plays as one and refuses to quit.
I will cheer for this team again when the purge those that mail it in, provide one dimension and refuse to alter themselves individually to compete. When they purge the old core.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Rebuild is more than 1 year.

I'd be happy with Jakob Chychrun or Logan Brown next year. Right now both are pegged to go top 5. If we draft Strome this year and Brown next we'd be set down the middle for awhile.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I'll be shocked if Nylander & Brown don't spend another year in the AHL next season.

Shanahan will probably follow the Detroit Model of developing prospects slowly...In Detroit it's uncomfortably slow according to many of their fans...lol

While I'm sure Shanny will have input, whether these players make it or not hinges on their own abilities and the coach has the final say. I'd be on board with giving Nylander a year at center in the AHL, but if he earns a spot I wouldn't be saying no for the sole reason of saying no.

Way to much stock being put into a silly "Detroit Model", when Detroit hasn't had a prospect of Nylanders caliber in years. For guys like Brown, I agree, but Nylander is going to be NHL ready sooner rather then later.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Honestly all I care about with regards to the Leafs next season is that they put in an honest effort. I can stand losing but I hate watching the team that I cheer for go through the motions so damn often.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Rebuild is more than 1 year.

I'd be happy with Jakob Chychrun or Logan Brown next year. Right now both are pegged to go top 5. If we draft Strome this year and Brown next we'd be set down the middle for awhile.

This is technically year 3, it's just the first year we admit it.

we've already added Rielly, Nylander, Percy, Brown, Johnson, Leipsic to our prospect pool over the past 2-3 years, I dont know many teams that are rebuilding that start with that many near-ready prospects. Add in the returns for our main core and two first rounders this year.

the way I see it, obviously optimistic, but I think because we've been half-ass rebuilding since 2012, we have enough assets to trade and enough prospects/secondary pieces that we'll only be tanking for one more year, and then start to be a somewhat competitive team again in 2 seasons(think 2010-2011 competitive where we finished 10th i believe.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
This is technically year 3, it's just the first year we admit it.

we've already added Rielly, Nylander, Percy, Brown, Johnson, Leipsic to our prospect pool over the past 2-3 years, I dont know many teams that are rebuilding that start with that many near-ready prospects. Add in the returns for our main core and two first rounders this year.

the way I see it, obviously optimistic, but I think because we've been half-ass rebuilding since 2012, we have enough assets to trade and enough prospects/secondary pieces that we'll only be tanking for one more year, and then start to be a somewhat competitive team again in 2 seasons(think 2010-2011 competitive where we finished 10th i believe.

I think this is the right approach to viewing the situation though. Most teams who initiate rebuilds haven't added significant young pieces for years, and don't have much use of the current roster.

We have several players 25 or younger already on the roster who are solid going forward, and several assets added in the past 2 years that are already developing. We still have a ways to go in terms of top end talent, but after we draft in the top 5 this season we already have 3-5 young players in key positions moving forward (Rielly, Nylander, Strome/Marner, Gardiner, Kadri, JVR).

This doesn't even factor in the return for Kessel, Dion and Bozak, nor any trades and signings we make this off season. Good future imo.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Yeah people need to stop thinking this our our first "rebuild year"

We already have two SOLID, rebuild years in our pockets, courtesy of the HUGE chokes we had at the end of the seasons. In hindsight, those chokes were painfull when they happend but look at what they got us; Rielly and Nylander the two most valuable assets we have right now.

We are already two years into the rebuild, because we have two top 5 draft picks Nylander (performs like one) and Rielly.

Add this years and thats three years in. IMO everyone develops nicely, all we need is one more top 3 draft pick. Which I think we will easily get as bottom feeders like Edmonton, Buffalo and Arizona will have Eichel, McDavid and Hannifin giving them a huge boost.

I think Nylander, Rielly, Chychurun/Auston Matthews, Storme/Marner are a solid base to build a contender.

Then we've got Brown, Lepisic, Loov, Granberg, Percy, Gauthier, NASH 1st etc. to fill in roster spots.

Were going to be looking Tampa Bay, NYI like in 2 years. HUGE amounts of good young talent.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah people need to stop thinking this our our first "rebuild year"

We already have two SOLID, rebuild years in our pockets, courtesy of the HUGE chokes we had at the end of the seasons. In hindsight, those chokes were painfull when they happend but look at what they got us; Rielly and Nylander the two most valuable assets we have right now.

We are already two years into the rebuild, because we have two top 5 draft picks Nylander (performs like one) and Rielly.

Add this years and thats three years in. IMO everyone develops nicely, all we need is one more top 3 draft pick. Which I think we will easily get as bottom feeders like Edmonton, Buffalo and Arizona will have Eichel, McDavid and Hannifin giving them a huge boost.

I think Nylander, Rielly, Chychurun/Auston Matthews, Storme/Marner are a solid base to build a contender.

Then we've got Brown, Lepisic, Loov, Granberg, Percy, Gauthier, NASH 1st etc. to fill in roster spots.

Were going to be looking Tampa Bay, NYI like in 2 years. HUGE amounts of good young talent.

Exactly, and there are already good players on the roster that we are likley keeping. On top of this, you aren't even including the return for Kessel/Dion/Bozak, which will probably add some significant young pieces as well.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If Bozak, Kessel, and crew are still all here then I won't cheer on them to win. Not for a second. There is no point, really, you know they won't accomplish anything with those losers. I have never felt like this ever, until this season.

CalgaryLeaf*

While I'm sure Shanny will have input, whether these players make it or not hinges on their own abilities and the coach has the final say. I'd be on board with giving Nylander a year at center in the AHL, but if he earns a spot I wouldn't be saying no for the sole reason of saying no.

Way to much stock being put into a silly "Detroit Model", when Detroit hasn't had a prospect of Nylanders caliber in years. For guys like Brown, I agree, but Nylander is going to be NHL ready sooner rather then later.

I'm sure Shanahan will get input from his future head coach,assistant coaches,Hunter,Dubas and the scouts in regards to what is the best course of action for the prospects development...He'll certainly have the final say on the matter,make no mistake about that.

The Red Wings haven't had the opportunity (in many many years) to draft in the top 8 in order to get a prospect like Nylander. I'm sure they wouldn't rush them to the NHL,especially if they were a bottom feeder like the Leafs in a rebuilding phase.

Nyquist is a good young prospect who has scored at a 30 goal pace his first two years in the NHL...He was a collegiate player and older than Nylander but still a great player.

I'd be thrilled if Nylander turned out as good,yet you hope for better with a lottery pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
There may be 2 players that make the jump right to the NHL & they won't be playing for the Leafs.We will still be bottom 5 even if we draft 2 blue chips in the 1st Round.Going to be another short season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00