Next season

fabs11

Apr 5, 2015
no matter what line up or lack there of a line up is suited up for the beginning of next season I will still cheer for the team to win.Once it is obvious the team has no chance then I would hope for a high pick.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Yep once its obvious we cant win, than I will be 100 percent all tank. However if we are in a position like the sens were until hammond began to win games for them I will want playoffs. I rather win than lose anyday but once winning has no relevance than I want us to lose and get a potential star dman like day, or chychuran.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
If it is the same old rotten core by end of 2015, I'll cheer for them to lose.

Mainly because I'll end up satisfied on more nights than not.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's a double edged sword. Say we draft Strome and he makes the team. He and Nylander both have wicked seasons and fight for the Calder on a second line with Pannik or Lupul. At the same time Rielly and Gardiner both take a step forward and become formidable defensemen while our goaltending benefits from better D in front of them. All the while other rookies and projects are worked into the line up. If these things all happened and we made the post season it would be near miraculous but it might also be well worth not being in the bottom 3 next year. For this to be worth it though these would all have to be sustainable improvements, not a bunch of one year wonder years.

I don't believe this will happen so my focus will be on the progress of key players.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'll cheer for them at the beginning. And if the team is a bottom feeder in January, then I'll join tank nation again.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
no matter what line up or lack there of a line up is suited up for the beginning of next season I will still cheer for the team to win.Once it is obvious the team has no chance then I would hope for a high pick.

Yep once its obvious we cant win, than I will be 100 percent all tank. However if we are in a position like the sens were until hammond began to win games for them I will want playoffs. I rather win than lose anyday but once winning has no relevance than I want us to lose and get a potential star dman like day, or chychuran.

I'm with these guys

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
It's a double edged sword. Say we draft Strome and he makes the team. He and Nylander both have wicked seasons and fight for the Calder on a second line with Pannik or Lupul. At the same time Rielly and Gardiner both take a step forward and become formidable defensemen while our goaltending benefits from better D in front of them. All the while other rookies and projects are worked into the line up. If these things all happened and we made the post season it would be near miraculous but it might also be well worth not being in the bottom 3 next year. For this to be worth it though these would all have to be sustainable improvements, not a bunch of one year wonder years.

I don't believe this will happen so my focus will be on the progress of key players.

Just the fact that you wrote the possibility of Strome and Nylander making this team next season is scary to me. Neither will be ready to contribute to a winning team.

Panik and Lupul as the 2nd line, or 1st, is why. Panik was deemed unnecessary to the Lightning. He was waived. Lupul won't even put up the numbers that Tie Domi put up for this team one year.

If Panik and Lupul are 2 of the cogs to this team, we're looking at another 8-13 finish in the East. 8 being that the stars align and Bernier wins the Vezina, and some catastrophic events derail other teams in the East.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I will not be able to see, until the team is fully remade, allegedly.

If this is done, I will have to see who is actually playing, and then there is their play and record, and stats supporting or denying a trend.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Just the fact that you wrote the possibility of Strome and Nylander making this team next season is scary to me. Neither will be ready to contribute to a winning team.

Panik and Lupul as the 2nd line, or 1st, is why. Panik was deemed unnecessary to the Lightning. He was waived. Lupul won't even put up the numbers that Tie Domi put up for this team one year.

If Panik and Lupul are 2 of the cogs to this team, we're looking at another 8-13 finish in the East. 8 being that the stars align and Bernier wins the Vezina, and some catastrophic events derail other teams in the East.

I full admit that was a rose colored glasses point of view which I qualified by stating it was pretty much impossible.

It's hard to speculate on anything right now because we have no idea how much the roster will change.

I hope Lupul is gone but I suspect he is a deadline boy his last contract year. I fully expect Strome to return to junior but I will not count Nylander out if they reduce our talent, especially if Kessel is traded.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

I would have everybody try to play their way onto the team. If they do, they do.
Winning no....heading in the right direction, yes. If these players can see that, they should be fine.

Yes, they still have to make it.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Will you be cheering the leafs to win next year with a bad team or want to tank for Austin Matthews ?

I will cheer for them up until it's obvious that we won't make the playoffs. So it won't be until November or December until I start to cheer against them.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Cheering for them to win of course. Tanking isn't a thing any longer. Starting next season, finishing last overall means that while you may have the highest chance for the first pick your most likely pick is the 4th overall. Consecutive 4th overall picks aren't usually a guarantee of anything other than a surefire NHL player.

Durkin67

Next year I just want to see a new core, some new veterans introduced, and a good mix of youth ready to take some jobs from guys. I hope to see them being coached well and playing honestly, and let the chips fall where they may, as long as the effort is there.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I would have everybody try to play their way onto the team. If they do, they do.
Winning no....heading in the right direction, yes. If these players can see that, they should be fine.

Yes, they still have to make it.

I'd honestly rather see us have Nylander, Strome, Brown and Lipesic all have a year together to grow, get bigger and more confident with the Marlies and have us set up for another top pick and the big picture finally in view. The last thing we need to do is fall into old traps and start to rush the kids. We'll make some changes this summer but not enough to justify us possibly throwing off the learning curve of the talent we do have. Hunter and Shanny stock the pond over the summer and then wait patiently as they watch the kids develop and mature properly. Set them up for success not failure and a run thru the Toronto Media gongshow.

If MLSE has bought into the full rebuild program we can't expect things to go quickly.
At least 2 years are written off for rebuilding and interchanging players as we can before we should even think about being competitive. 4 years before we could possibly be contenders realistically .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Great answer, kinda like the Flames had no chance of winning anything?

It's to early to look at next season until player personnel decisions are made and the draft takes place.
There's no guarantee who is still here and what direction is being taken.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I'd honestly rather see us have Nylander, Strome, Brown and Lipesic all have a year together to grow, get bigger and more confident with the Marlies and have us set up for another top pick and the big picture finally in view. The last thing we need to do is fall into old traps and start to rush the kids. We'll make some changes this summer but not enough to justify us possibly throwing off the learning curve of the talent we do have. Hunter and Shanny stock the pond over the summer and then wait patiently as they watch the kids develop and mature properly. Set them up for success not failure and a run thru the Toronto Media gongshow.

If MLSE has bought into the full rebuild program we can't expect things to go quickly.
At least 2 years are written off for rebuilding and interchanging players as we can before we should even think about being competitive. 4 years before we could possibly be contenders realistically .

This is all great in theory, but when these players actually earn spots and you have to tell them no, it ends up being a negative. Strome or Marner wont even be able to play in the AHL next year btw, it's OHL or NHL.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
It's to early to look at next season until player personnel decisions are made and the draft takes place.
There's no guarantee who is still here and what direction is being taken.

I agree, but assuming that most of our younger players are still around (Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Holland, JVR) and some others make the jump, theres no reason this team can't over preform like the Flames.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Probably won't care about the leafs for all of next season much like I haven't cared for them this season.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
We're going to be a lot better next year than we are this year.

We're probably making the playoffs.

officialmark*

You guys claim you want a real rebuild, but are already wanting to win and we haven't even started yet.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'll cheer for them to win as long as they are competing for a playoff spot halfway into the season(within 5 to 6 points). If they're out by like 7 or 10 points mid way into the season, I wouldn't mind seeing them sink to the bottom then.

I don't think I'm truly happy with a loss or fully contend with a win these days but when the season isn't lost in the 1st few months, then that's when I can enjoy the wins coming in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad