Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Frankly the more I think about it, the more it's a pipedream. I don't think there will be a reliable vaccine and/or treatment by December. There's no plan to bubble. All you have to do is take a look at MLB to see how that's going to work. And there's no way junior hockey will have an additional 30 player pool to draw replacement players from.

Last edited:

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Have to start somewhere. This is an optimistic plan, which is subject to revision as things evolve.
Governments will have to approve some sort of cross border permissiveness, crowds of more than 2000 must have government OK, etc., etc...
Should be lots of precedents set by pro leagues by that date; OHL will take cues from that.
My personal level of optimism, based on my belief that efforts to date have only spread “the curve”, not eliminated the disease, is about 25%.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The question is: Why would they go with games within your conference only?

If the answer is that they want to try and minimize possible spread of the virus, then games between Ottawa and Gatineau, and the Soo against Sudbury and North Bay makes no sense. If you’re going to do that anyway, then why restrict play to only within your conference?

One solution to the Soo’s problem of travel would be flight. They could fly south for a three week series of games around southern Ontario. Conversely, teams in their conference would make just one flight north and play a two or three game set against the Soo.

Obviously, there would be cost issues. But, the cost could be split among the teams in the conference I would think.

I don't think owners would go for an increased cost like that in a season with no fans.

To me, it makes a lot more sense for Niagara and Mississauga to swap some of their games vs North Bay and Sudbury for games with Windsor and Sarnia. That would significantly reduce travel for 5 teams and not disrupt the schedules of the other 15 teams.

Reactions: EvenSteven

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not in this release and probably shouldn't be but I wonder how they plan to deal with the Euro players with that tentative late start? Many may chose to stay home. I also believe this is a lot of wishful thinking and IMHO it will be a later start with a 30 - 40 game season just to get the kids some games in. Tiny little bug sure upsetting a lot of apple carts.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Frankly the more I think about it, the more it's a pipedream. I don't think there will be a reliable vaccine and/or treatment by December. There's no plan to bubble. All you have to do is take a look at MLB to see how that's going to work. And there's no way junior hockey will have an additional 30 player pool to draw replacement players from.
I get the sentiment. In The O's defense though, Ontario is not even close to some of the states and cities the MLB is operating in. I'm not saying there will be fans or that a second wave is not on it's way, but I don't think bubbling will be needed for the season to be executed.

The three major thorns in any plan though are Erie, Flint, and Saginaw.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I get the sentiment. In The O's defense though, Ontario is not even close to some of the states and cities the MLB is operating in. I'm not saying there will be fans or that a second wave is not on it's way, but I don't think bubbling will be needed for the season to be executed.

I think whether or not fans can attend is a bigger thorn than the american teams.

With no fans this league doesnt work. I would honestly be surprised if tv revenue/radio accounted for even 1% of revenues. Its laughable how few people watch/listen to junior hockey games anymore. Its basically all gate driven.

So with no fans, who pays for the operating expenses and tuition packages?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Have to start somewhere. This is an optimistic plan, which is subject to revision as things evolve.
Governments will have to approve some sort of cross border permissiveness, crowds of more than 2000 must have government OK, etc., etc...
Should be lots of precedents set by pro leagues by that date; OHL will take cues from that.
My personal level of optimism, based on my belief that efforts to date have only spread “the curve”, not eliminated the disease, is about 25%.
I think most of the major professional sports have already shown what they are doing. NBA, NHL and MLS are bubbling and that's proving effective. However, I think everyone agrees that isn't viable for junior hockey, especially long term. MLB and NFL put measures in place other than social bubbling. We see how that's working for MLB. I can't even imagine what the NFL will look like.

I think you are correct saying they had to start somewhere. I believe the reason they scheduled so many games is that now that they have a starting point, they can work backwards if they need to cancel games which is likely. That leaves the door open to have a meaningful season.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think whether or not fans can attend is a bigger thorn than the american teams.

With no fans this league doesnt work. I would honestly be surprised if tv revenue/radio accounted for even 1% of revenues. Its laughable how few people watch/listen to junior hockey games anymore. Its basically all gate driven.

So with no fans, who pays for the operating expenses and tuition packages?
Oh for sure, the league needs people in the seats. I was just looking at the travel and bubble options in vacuum. The optics of fans is another whole layer to the problem.

Reactions: WaW

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
The only things I took away from that is the cplayers are NOT reporting until the league is ready to begin with fans. Also the amount of games is on the aggressive side.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if things go according to plan.
I don’t think the Dec.1 targeted start date has as much to do with being allowed to fill seats as it does starting after the drafts and NHL camps. Yes, the need to make money in order to operate, but I’ve long thought that the CHL wouldn’t start until after prospects have attended NHL camp (as usual). CHL players cannot be called up once they start their CHL season unless it’s on an emergency basis or until their CHL team’s season is over. I guess the NHL/CHL agreement could in theory possibly be modified upon mutual agreement. However, I don’t see why the NHL would allow their existing prospects and the 2020 draftees to start the CHL season and risk injury before NHL rookie and training camps begin. Imagine Lafreniere getting injured long-term a few days before the draft, or someone like Dylan Cozens getting hurt before he reports to the Sabres training camp. The CHL anticipated start date was likely determined mainly from consultation with the NHL rather than filling some seats by that date.

Reactions: rangersblues

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'd be surprised if it's 64 games... still a lot of unanswered questions here. I think this announcement was just done to appease the parents more than anything.

Or to say dont forget about the ohl.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

Canada is definitely better off than the US. That said, there's no chance of things opening up before a reliable vaccine, treatment or much more testing with quicker results. I don't think the country or province is willing to take that chance so a relatively small percentage of people can attend junior hockey games.

Reactions: robertmac43

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think most of the major professional sports have already shown what they are doing. NBA, NHL and MLS are bubbling and that's proving effective. However, I think everyone agrees that isn't viable for junior hockey, especially long term. MLB and NFL put measures in place other than social bubbling. We see how that's working for MLB. I can't even imagine what the NFL will look like.

I think you are correct saying they had to start somewhere. I believe the reason they scheduled so many games is that now that they have a starting point, they can work backwards if they need to cancel games which is likely. That leaves the door open to have a meaningful season.
It’s important to keep in mind that the NBA and NHL are able to do the “bubble” strategy in part because it’s just for a limited time (a few months to complete the playoffs/season)

MLB has to play a shortened regular season plus playoffs so their players were not willing to agree to the bubble

The NFL will fail or run into serious trouble at some point without a bubble but it’s incredibly difficult to maintain a bubble for anything more than a few weeks. When you start talking 4 or 5+ months even for professional athletes, it’s not going to be a realistic plan that players will want to take part in. Obviously junior players are dealing with school, family, etc that make it even less likely

I agree with prior comment that the number one hurdle for OHL season is having fans in the stands. By relocating US teams to play in Canada w/o fans, you are only increasing your spending that much more in a season that will undoubtedly lose significant revenue. The border issue is secondary. Though Canada has had significantly less cases, it doesn’t mean they are immune to things and can go back to “normal”

Part of their success compared to US is because of their safety measures which is NOT going to include opening up stadiums with thousands of people

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Can you really see crowds of over 2000 being given the green light by Dec 1st? Really believe this is a stragedy by the OHL to encourage season ticket holders not to ask for refunds.

Reactions: Drop the Puck

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
If I were the CHL, I would try to ask the NHL and its teams to help fund a smaller scale tournament in lieu of a season next year, so that junior players can still play and develop but at minimal risk to the players and their billets. This would also help with CHL education package costs.

Make every division play a double home and away series against each divisional opponent. The entire CHL is optimally set up for this, but on a one time basis I would rotate SSM to the central, Niagara to the Midwest, and Erie to the west, so that at no point are Canadian or American teams spending the night across the border. Play and go home in the same day, or play and stay in the country your team is, in the case of eastern teams.

Anyways, each team plays 20 games (Q teams and WHL eastern teams home and away x2, OHL and WHL western teams 2x home and away each +1 home or away. This is done in 8 weeks: 4 weekends of 2 games and 4 of 3 games. Friday-Sunday only.

At the end of the 8 weeks, the top 4 in each division play a best of 3 semi final (1 weekend), and a best of 5 final (10 days, for 2 total weeks).

Pool together the 12 remaining teams into 1 hub city. Draw the teams into 4 groups of 3 (1 from each league), double round robin format, eliminate the worst team in each division. 1 game memorial cup KO tournament, with the traditional 1 game memorial cup final. This can all be done in 3 weeks. By my count, the entire season is done in a compressed 3 month period. Do it right after the world juniors (if they happen) to give setup time and to ensure it doesnt happen at the same time as the NHL playoffs.

After a junior team is eliminated, the NHL teams can bring those prospects and place them into an AHL bubble if such a thing exists/AHL happens, or to the NHL bubble if they want to use roster spots on those players. The 9 game rule applies all season for ELC years. This might be incentive enough for the NHL to at least partially fund the CHL mini-season and potentially be an option for games with no fans.

Last edited:

RoughHockey

Aug 5, 2020
Not that she explained anything but Lisa Mcleod (Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries) just included the OHL with Canada's Wonderland, Santa's Village, etc. on things they are watching to open for people. So I assume it is regards to amount of people let in a building.

Reactions: HockeyPops

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I can’t believe the OHL swiped my press release!

08-05-20
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BadgerBruce Travelling Circus (BBTC) is pleased to announce that his 2020-21 travelling circus season will begin on December 01, with 64 live indoor performances in 20 Ontario and US communities.

“The health and safety of the little badgers, the badger trainers, as well as the travelling circus fans, is paramount,” said BadgerBruce Travelling Circus CEO Honey Bear-Badger. “With the cooperation of 2 national governments, 3 State/ Provincial governments, and 19 regional PETA units, the entire BBTC family looks forward to welcoming live audiences once again.”

For now, the little Badgers are remaining in their natural habitats across North America and Europe, but BBTC trainers and wilderness survival consultants are remaining in close contact to ensure a smooth return to Circus life in December.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Not that she explained anything but Lisa Mcleod (Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries) just included the OHL with Canada's Wonderland, Santa's Village, etc. on things they are watching to open for people. So I assume it is regards to amount of people let in a building.

Just out of curiosity - Where did she say this?

RoughHockey

Aug 5, 2020
Just out of curiosity - Where did she say this?

Press conference today with Ford. Question came up why no Canada's Wonderland etc, when Marineland is open. She said Health Officials were still deciding on theme parks, convention centres and she included the OHL.

Reactions: OHLTG

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OTTO...

It is very simple. The point I was making was:

1> Just because a CEO suggests their vaccine will be 90% effective because that is their goal, does not mean it will, especially when they haven’t even entered Phase 3 of their trials
2> The only viable short term vaccines marketed to work did not include elderly in their trials; therefore, the chances of them working for the elderly, as was the point of the original article I posted, makes it a very valid negative issue regarding vaccines being our “saviour.”
3> The 60% number is what “I” was stating as a best case scenario for the shorter term vaccines. Why? Because when you subtract those over 65 and those under 14, you end up with about 70% of the population the vaccines are targeting and being tested for. Then you have to include the inevitable 10-20% of the population that will have zero effect. That means any short term vaccine would be at best a 60% success provided EVERYONE took it.
4> The whole point was we cannot and should not be waiting for vaccines to be our saviour which seems to be a lot of what many are waiting for. We cannot, nor should we be relying on anyone that suggests otherwise.

The underlying point is when I suggested anything more than a 60% success rate for any Covid-19 vaccines would not be realistic, you suggested otherwise. You suggested you hadn’t read anything in that regard. So, I posted articles as reference that contained facts like the vaccines not being tested on the elderly so it not being likely they would work on them as well as children. I posted other articles that if you use any logic whatsoever clearly the numbers like 90% effective were not realistic. Instead, you chose to ignore what I was referencing in the articles and pointed to completely unrelated facts. For what reason? I have no idea.

Then someone posts an article with Dr Tam suggesting the exact same thing (don’t rely on vaccines) and all of a sudden it is now gospel? That is what I don’t understand.

Clearly, if we wait 5-10 years we will probably get viable vaccines that work with around 90% efficacy. It seems very likely the early vaccines won’t protect the most vulnerable because our most vulnerable are the ones with compromised immune systems. It will be way more difficult to develop a vaccine for people with compromised immune systems. That is just common sense. You don’t need to be a brain surgeon to understand that.

This brings us back to square one. Yes, we can continue to wear masks and social distance and wash our hands. That will help but it will not be effective enough. Not by a long shot. We will not get anywhere near enough adoption and anywhere near enough diligence with proper practise to eliminate the spread. That is simply death by a thousand cuts or pulling off a bandage a millimetre at a time.

We need a treatment that will allow us to take risks as we see fit and if we get sick, we follow the treatment plan to get better before we get deathly ill. This does not mean take no precautions. We can walk and chew gum at the same time. What it means is if people get sick, they get treatment. Once people get sick, it is likely they won’t get sick again with the same Virus. If the virus mutates, so be it. People will get sick again. They will get treatment again.

We need to find a way to live with this virus long term. By long term I mean 2-5 years. If we do get a vaccine that is 70+% effective, great. If we are able to manufacture it and distribute and inoculate people at high rates, even better. But until then, we need to learn how to live with it and Mask, Wash, Distance isn’t good enough to properly live with this long term if the goal is to also maintain some form of normalcy that doesn’t also cost in unintended consequence lives and financial ruin. The answer is treatment. Developing that treatment is key.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The question is: Why would they go with games within your conference only?

If the answer is that they want to try and minimize possible spread of the virus, then games between Ottawa and Gatineau, and the Soo against Sudbury and North Bay makes no sense. If you’re going to do that anyway, then why restrict play to only within your conference?

One solution to the Soo’s problem of travel would be flight. They could fly south for a three week series of games around southern Ontario. Conversely, teams in their conference would make just one flight north and play a two or three game set against the Soo.

Obviously, there would be cost issues. But, the cost could be split among the teams in the conference I would think.

I would imagine it is a cost saving measure first and foremost.

From a reduce the spread perspective, less nights in a hotel with less supervision and higher risk of exposure outside their normal environment would also be a reason to reduce travel.

Based on that, if a team like Ottawa can drive 5km to Gatineau 4 times and Gatineau can drive 5 km’s to Ottawa 4 times, I’d suggest that would be ideal In cutting costs as well as reducing travel related risks.

As well, if SSM is unable to travel through Michigan to get to divisional games in Windsor and Sarnia, you’d have to think their divisional games would be brutal distances. SSM to Windsor going around the lake is a full 100kms longer than SSM to Kingston which would be the longest trip for SSM as it stands now. SSM would need major concessions on schedule out of conference if they were concerned with travel.

Reactions: rangersblues

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
OTTO...

It is very simple. The point I was making was:

1> Just because a CEO suggests their vaccine will be 90% effective because that is their goal, does not mean it will, especially when they haven’t even entered Phase 3 of their trials
2> The only viable short term vaccines marketed to work did not include elderly in their trials; therefore, the chances of them working for the elderly, as was the point of the original article I posted, makes it a very valid negative issue regarding vaccines being our “saviour.”
3> The 60% number is what “I” was stating as a best case scenario for the shorter term vaccines. Why? Because when you subtract those over 65 and those under 14, you end up with about 70% of the population the vaccines are targeting and being tested for. Then you have to include the inevitable 10-20% of the population that will have zero effect. That means any short term vaccine would be at best a 60% success provided EVERYONE took it.
4> The whole point was we cannot and should not be waiting for vaccines to be our saviour which seems to be a lot of what many are waiting for. We cannot, nor should we be relying on anyone that suggests otherwise.

Again... I'll trust the Canadian scientists...

The underlying point is when I suggested anything more than a 60% success rate for any Covid-19 vaccines would not be realistic, you suggested otherwise.

No... the researchers suggested otherwise.. I merely posted the interview

You suggested you hadn’t read anything in that regard.
No.. I asked where you read that... because as usual you didn't post any source

So, I posted articles as reference that contained facts like the vaccines not being tested on the elderly so it not being likely they would work on them as well as children. I posted other articles that if you use any logic whatsoever clearly the numbers like 90% effective were not realistic. Instead, you chose to ignore what I was referencing in the articles and pointed to completely unrelated facts. For what reason? I have no idea.

So you are saying the group working on a vaccine for the elderly isn't going to test it on the elderly? interesting... and again.. i don't know where you keep coming up with this 90% number all of a sudden.

Then someone posts an article with Dr Tam suggesting the exact same thing (don’t rely on vaccines) and all of a sudden it is now gospel? That is what I don’t understand.

You're taking part of the quote again.. "don't rely on vaccines immediately" is what was said... and again... I never had an opinion otherwise... that's like all the people who said that all Don Cherry said was "You guys" .. when in fact it was the "You guys who come here" that was the issue... talk about cherry picking..

I think the real ironic thing about this is the fact that you said you were done with this conversation... then you took it upon yourself to start a fight..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad