Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Would they do realignment for a season to get as geographically reasonable as possible?

If teams are to only play within the conference, and, as we’ve been told in the past, conferences are already divided geographically, then all is good. The three American teams are all in the same conference.

I can’t see how they could realign to make things better. Regarding the Soo, there’s not that much difference making trips to Saginaw and Flint vs Sudbury and North Bay. Of course, we would expect to see an unbalanced schedule within the conference to aid a team like the Soo.

And if the border is still an issue, I don’t see the season starting on December 1.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Who is carrying this press conference? Only the OHL network? Or can we expect to see it on some local radio stations?

Don't know... I would be surprised if any of the local radio stations are carrying it... since there isn't any local programming on London talk radio at that hour any more.

It may just end up being a press release instead of a press conference

Last edited:

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
And if the border is still an issue, I don’t see the season starting on December 1.

If schedules are unbalanced, teams could be playing the same teams more frequently. If they play 10 times agaisnt each other Saginaw, Flint, and Erie could realistically play each other into late January with never having to cross the border

Reactions: EvenSteven

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
RE: Treatment options
I'm keeping my eye on these from an investor's perspective... Some companies on the cusp of effective treatments include Trevena and Relief therapeutics. Hoping to strike it rich with these two--want to upgrade my season tickets to a suite at the Bud Gardens.
Sorrento therapeutics is on fire... A covid test with results in 30 min. Investment here could get you a second house in the Glebe!

Where I am focusing is a full treatment for all Coronaviruses! The key here is to eliminate the death from these types of viruses now and in the future.

Vaccines can be great but in most cases they simply target the strain. That is good for eliminating the viruses ability to find a new viable host but it doesn't prevent mutations and differing strains from wreaking havok.

You are 100% right in following that logic. The only problem is if the treatment is only good for Covid-19, it is s short run and then there is no other viable use. I am hoping they find a common drug therapy to tacle the whole virus subset.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If teams are to only play within the conference, and, as we’ve been told in the past, conferences are already divided geographically, then all is good. The three American teams are all in the same conference.

I can’t see how they could realign to make things better. Regarding the Soo, there’s not that much difference making trips to Saginaw and Flint vs Sudbury and North Bay. Of course, we would expect to see an unbalanced schedule within the conference to aid a team like the Soo.

I think the schedules will "generally" be inter conference only. However, I still think there will be the local rival games like Sud-SSM etc.

I'm interested to see if Ottawa and Gatineau will hook up for more like 8 games instead of just 2 or 0. The more Ottawa plays Gatineau, the less they play teams like NB and SBY allowing them to add games with SSM. Same with Hamilton. HAmilton could play a few Western Conference games if Ottawa plays Gatineau more.

But what they do with the American teams will be key to how they handle schedule. SSM will be in tough having to drive around the lake. I wonder if they will get permission to simply drive non-stop through Michigan and not need to quarantine etc?

Reactions: shot caller

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I think the schedules will "generally" be inter conference only. However, I still think there will be the local rival games like Sud-SSM etc.

I'm interested to see if Ottawa and Gatineau will hook up for more like 8 games instead of just 2 or 0. The more Ottawa plays Gatineau, the less they play teams like NB and SBY allowing them to add games with SSM. Same with Hamilton. HAmilton could play a few Western Conference games if Ottawa plays Gatineau more.

But what they do with the American teams will be key to how they handle schedule. SSM will be in tough having to drive around the lake. I wonder if they will get permission to simply drive non-stop through Michigan and not need to quarantine etc?
I could definitely see more Ottawa/Gatineau games, for obvious reasons.

I’ve also been wondering if the league could sort of grow its relationship with the Q to include the WHL, which has US-based teams in Seattle, Tri-Cities, Portland, Everett and Spokane. Is there any chance of those 5 and the 3 US-based OHL teams coming up with something? Yes, I realize that the travel seems absurd, but let’s not forget that those American-based teams in the Dub already bus to the Brandons, Moose Jaws and Saskatoons of the world, so maybe it’s not so crazy to consider.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I could definitely see more Ottawa/Gatineau games, for obvious reasons.

I’ve also been wondering if the league could sort of grow its relationship with the Q to include the WHL, which has US-based teams in Seattle, Tri-Cities, Portland, Everett and Spokane. Is there any chance of those 5 and the 3 US-based OHL teams coming up with something? Yes, I realize that the travel seems absurd, but let’s not forget that those American-based teams in the Dub already bus to the Brandons, Moose Jaws and Saskatoons of the world, so maybe it’s not so crazy to consider.

Seattle to Erie is a 37 hour car ride straight though with no stops. Not going to happen

Reactions: Otto

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

The question is: Why would they go with games within your conference only?

If the answer is that they want to try and minimize possible spread of the virus, then games between Ottawa and Gatineau, and the Soo against Sudbury and North Bay makes no sense. If you’re going to do that anyway, then why restrict play to only within your conference?

One solution to the Soo’s problem of travel would be flight. They could fly south for a three week series of games around southern Ontario. Conversely, teams in their conference would make just one flight north and play a two or three game set against the Soo.

Obviously, there would be cost issues. But, the cost could be split among the teams in the conference I would think.

Otto

The question is: Why would they go with games within your conference only?

If the answer is that they want to try and minimize possible spread of the virus, then games between Ottawa and Gatineau, and the Soo against Sudbury and North Bay makes no sense. If you’re going to do that anyway, then why restrict play to only within your conference?

One solution to the Soo’s problem of travel would be flight. They could fly south for a three week series of games around southern Ontario. Conversely, teams in their conference would make just one flight north and play a two or three game set against the Soo.

Obviously, there would be cost issues. But, the cost could be split among the teams in the conference I would think.

4 fewer games in 5 fewer weeks. There will now doubt be more weekday games, so it's most likely to minimize the amount of travel. I doubt it will be strictly within the conference, most likely it'll be done geographically only. Hamilton would see more of Kitchener and Guelph

Reactions: windsor7

Otto

The only things I took away from that is the cplayers are NOT reporting until the league is ready to begin with fans. Also the amount of games is on the aggressive side.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if things go according to plan.

Which goes back to my point about school .. no doubt they will be going online only for players.

Reactions: rangersblues

dmead

Jan 12, 2018
London
Rolling the dice on border restrictions easing without having to quarantine... yeah, not bloody likely.

The league is hedging its bet that the distancing and quarantine rules will soften or be relaxed for Junior Hockey. They would not commit players into billet homes without some assurances from Provincial and Federal governments.

Even with the announcement I feel it is still a provision rather than a certainty. As far as I'm concerned we haven't moved at all.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The only things I took away from that is the cplayers are NOT reporting until the league is ready to begin with fans. Also the amount of games is on the aggressive side.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if things go according to plan.

If people didn't like the idea of playing 3 games in 3 nights or 2.5 days. How are they going to like games on Tue, Thur/Fri, Sun in a week?? We have already seen in baseball how many injuries (non covid related) have happened and we haven't even hit the 2 week mark. 64 games in probably 145 days deducting a few days off during Christmas. Won't be much of a development league this year with fewer practices as well.

Reactions: rangersblues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->