Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
WHL hoping for an October 2nd start date. Arenas must be allowed to be at 50% capacity... US teams will be a challenge

https://thehockeywriters.com/whl-rangers-prospect-pool-jarvis/

"Targeting" yes. Not sure it'll happen. I think they'll keep nothing but divisional play. No management wants their team going into the US.

But I wonder what would happen if there is no season at all. Would that effectively kill the entire CHL?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
"Targeting" yes. Not sure it'll happen. I think they'll keep nothing but divisional play. No management wants their team going into the US.

But I wonder what would happen if there is no season at all. Would that effectively kill the entire CHL?

The League would never make a decision that would effectively make it close its doors for good.

IF it ever came to the point where the US based teams were unable to participate in their home rinks, I am pretty sure the leagues would find a way for them to play in Canada.

The Western Conference of the WHL would be somewhat difficult with five teams in the USA. The OHL has the three teams. The QMJHL is unaffected.

There would probably be some form of profit sharing to pull it all off but it is better to lose a little by having the season rather than lose a lot cancelling the season.

I believe the numbers I had seen a few years ago suggested the average OHL team needs something like 2500 fans per game to break even. That would be a tough get with a 50% capacity situation. Hypothetically speaking, those numbers could come down with a more close proximity schedule in place. Maybe even less games over a shorter time period as a cost cutting measure should it be required. I’m sure there will be options.

The first priority is getting fans in seats so there can be revenue. The rest is far less important.

Reactions: NOA and HockeyPops

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
since it was oddly important to post here when he was positive...

And that is what is so scary about this. How many of those 2500 fans will come to the rink with the sniffles, "pretty much symptom free" and unknowingly lead to another wildfire.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
And that is what is so scary about this. How many of those 2500 fans will come to the rink with the sniffles, "pretty much symptom free" and unknowingly lead to another wildfire.

if the fatality rate is 0.02 as the cdc says, and those who get some type of medium to long term affects is 10 percent of all cases, I think well generally be ok, which is why we are opening up more stuff today.

interesting ford said live sports and team sports are good to go in most of Ontario today.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
'if any banquet halls, concert venues want to submit ideas on how to open smartly, well be open to it'

encouraged sports, entertainment venues to bring ideas on how to operate smartly.

ford just now

Reactions: Otto

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
if the fatality rate is 0.02 as the cdc says, and those who get some type of medium to long term affects is 10 percent of all cases, I think well generally be ok, which is why we are opening up more stuff today.

interesting ford said live sports and team sports are good to go in most of Ontario today.
Except those sports with prolonged or deliberate contact

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Except those sports with prolonged or deliberate contact

that would be incorrect, with modifications its fine.

'Team sports in which body contact between players is either an integral component of the sport or commonly occurs while engaged in the sport (e.g., wrestling, judo) are not yet permitted, unless the approach can be modified to prevent prolonged or deliberate physical contact'

non contact hockey is good to go as of Friday in many areas, theres many non contact leagues that are already scheduled to go (canlan etc) give it two months and well see, no one would have figured wed be playing hockey two months ago, let alone non contact.

https://files.ontario.ca/mof-framework-reopening-province-stage-3-en-2020-07-13.pdf

Otto

'if any banquet halls, concert venues want to submit ideas on how to open smartly, well be open to it'

encouraged sports, entertainment venues to bring ideas on how to operate smartly.

ford just now
Hopefully the CHL is taking a hard look at what the roller derby is doing

Reactions: StormWatcher

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Assuming that we keep managing things the way that we are and the CHL, like other business, can negotiate a smart opening plan, the only true issue with an Oct start is the US boarder. Get satellite cities in Ontario, and really, there is no reason not to move forward, assuming that everyone does everything that they have been over the past 4 months.

Great news overall

Otto

Assuming that we keep managing things the way that we are and the CHL, like other business, can negotiate a smart opening plan, the only true issue with an Oct start is the US boarder. Get satellite cities in Ontario, and really, there is no reason not to move forward, assuming that everyone does everything that they have been over the past 4 months.

Great news overall

I think that's been the major issue all along as well as a potential second wave. Which is why I'm astonished that there are people who still won't wear masks if they are able

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
An interesting read

A New Understanding of Herd Immunity

Based on data from several countries in Europe, she said, her results show a herd-immunity threshold much lower than that of other models.
“We just keep running the models, and it keeps coming back at less than 20 percent,” Gomes said. “It’s very striking.”

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
An interesting read

A New Understanding of Herd Immunity

Based on data from several countries in Europe, she said, her results show a herd-immunity threshold much lower than that of other models.
“We just keep running the models, and it keeps coming back at less than 20 percent,” Gomes said. “It’s very striking.”

The irony of all these precautions is if immunity is short lived, we are setting ourselves up for continued disaster.

For example, if an asymptomatic person holds immunity for 6 months and we slow the spread, herd immunity may never be reached because it just keeps hanging around.

Conversely, if Evryone succeptable for contracting the virus gets it within that 6 month window, it would have run through the population and then naturally die out.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
CTV just said that, should the timeline be similar, Windsor-Essex could be in Stage 3 by July 22. That's not a guarantee; all depends on Kingsville/Leamington, I guess.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
CTV just said that, should the timeline be similar, Windsor-Essex could be in Stage 3 by July 22. That's not a guarantee; all depends on Kingsville/Leamington, I guess.

Things have come a long way from where they were that's for sure. We will see where all this goes and how much closer the province will be back to some form of reality. From a OHL perspective I would be surprised still to see a September start date to the season but compared to where the province was even a month ago has been a step in the right direction. Things can still slip backwards and as we've seen before was this pandemic that too comfortable can lead to a negative result.

If things move the direction they are though this could be one step closer to a chance at a fall opening night for the OHL and CHL.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Wish upon a star.
Id think by August 1st possibly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad