Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread) [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Just heard these guys on the radio. They work out of Windsor.. it would be interesting to see if what they are doing could be applied to arenas https://pulsaruv.com/
Unless I'm missing something the difficulty with avoiding Covid spread is person to person contact. I'm not sure how sanitizing an arena alleviates this problem if the arena is full of people.

Reactions: three dog night

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Unless I'm missing something the difficulty with avoiding Covid spread is person to person contact. I'm not sure how sanitizing an arena alleviates this problem if the arena is full of people.

I think a link was posted a few pages ago, but most doctors believe that its almost entirely person to person. I believe the CDC is posting the same thing.

EDIT: Here it is

“You’ve [still] got to protect yourself,” Dr. Goldman said, emphasizing people should not ignore the seriousness of COVID-19. “But you’ve got to protect yourself correctly – not by worrying about surfaces, but by worrying about what you breathe.”

The risk of catching COVID-19 from contaminated surfaces, objects is ‘negligible,’ scientist says

Reactions: rangersblues

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

It's not stopping businesses from taking precautions though. Our local Costco and Farm Boy sanitize ever cart once its returned. There was talk about insurance in this thread earlier, maybe its liability thing?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It's not stopping businesses from taking precautions though. Our local Costco and Farm Boy sanitize ever cart once its returned. There was talk about insurance in this thread earlier, maybe its liability thing?
Cleaning shopping carts etc are a continuous short term thing that makes sense. If you're talking dressing rooms in arenas where the ice is used on a continuous basis, that could be of use. If you're talking large events where the arena basically sits empty all day prior to the event, it's window dressing for the most part.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
During first few weeks of the school year will be a big measuring stick.
Stage 3 doesnt mean much to me at all personally.
I won't change how iv been since this started.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Not surprisingly, the OHL is releasing no information beyond their recent announcement of a December 01 start and a 64 game schedule if governments and public health authorities allow.

However, Rick Westhead has made a few CHL-related tweets in the last few days. Rather than link each tweet individually, here’s his twitter account: Rick Westhead (@rwesthead) on Twitter

Scroll down just a bit and you’ll see them.

The first issue Westhead brings up is the overall mental health of players: “[The] Mental health of players is a major concern that must be addressed by leagues/teams, one exec told me. 15, 16 year old players leaving home for first time, enrolled in school online, distanced at rink, isolated and not permitted to spend time away from rink with other players.”

On the plus side, I’m relieved to know that Westhead is hearing this from an exec as opposed to outsiders. I’ve been thinking about one kid I know and have been helping out lately (just linking him up with a first-rate personal trainer) who would without question experience a mental health nosedive if more or less isolated from his teammates. So I’m glad to hear this issue is on the radar and I hope the leagues and clubs take it very seriously.

The second point Westhead raises is that “Several team officials tell me they have major concerns, Covid-19 testing among them. One exec said he's been told his players are scheduled to be tested just once — upon arrival to training camp.”

I’m not going to get into the “To Test or not to Test” debate. But I find it very hard to believe that a league seeking approval to do something nobody else is allowed to do would fail to incorporate a satisfactory Covid testing regimen into their Return-to-Play proposals to governments and health authorities. Frankly, if the league plans to skimp on testing, what else will they skimp on?

The third issue Westhead tweets about is the hazing and bullying class action lawsuit. Apparently, the league is shopping for a law firm and isn’t using Torys. That really shocks me — Torys has a long-standing relationship with the league and handled the minimum wage class action suit. That firm really knows the league well, so I find their absence curious to say the least.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Mental health of players is a major concern that must be addressed by leagues/teams, one exec told me. 15, 16 year old players leaving home for first time, enrolled in school online, distanced at rink, isolated and not permitted to spend time away from rink with other players.”

On the plus side, I’m relieved to know that Westhead is hearing this from an exec as opposed to outsiders. I’ve been thinking about one kid I know and have been helping out lately (just linking him up with a first-rate personal trainer) who would without question experience a mental health nosedive if more or less isolated from his teammates. So I’m glad to hear this issue is on the radar and I hope the leagues and clubs take it very seriously..

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, mental health from lockdowns/isolation will end up having a bigger impact then anyone could imagine.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

This is not a viable plan whatsoever. One test before camp and nothing else, is he kidding? And how do they plan on enforcing “no spending time with teammates away from the rink”? Especially as restrictions loosen up, limiting what these kids can do away from the rink will do more bad than good.

I know none of this is official, but it needs to be better than that.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

This is not a viable plan whatsoever. One test before camp and nothing else, is he kidding? And how do they plan on enforcing “no spending time with teammates away from the rink”? Especially as restrictions loosen up, limiting what these kids can do away from the rink will do more bad than good.

Well if college football teams want to close up shop because they can't hire an independent 3rd party to administer tests. I don't see how OHL teams who some have been crying poor already would find it feasible to spend money on that. Should it be mandatory? Yes but teams can't afford that as we have seen. CHL is mainly just a hope and a prayer and kicking the can down the road and hoping positive numbers get lower. Bubbles are working but nothing else has, what does that tell you???

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
The cancellation of the US college football season is being fuelled by college presidents/chancellors receiving information about myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart, from their medical advisors. The long-term cardiac health ramifications are unclear right now.

At least a dozen student-athletes in NCAA college football’s top conferences have covid related myocarditis.

“We are collectively, as a sports nation, not quite ready to feel entirely comfortable with what that may look like for our young people down the line, and we are not going to put them in that situation," he said. MacKnight, who directs care for Virginia's athletes, and other school physicians are members of advisory groups that counsel universities and conferences on medical decisions.

Heart issue linked to virus drives Power 5 concern

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013

There is even talk that parents visiting their kids would be forced to maintain physical distancing.

I’m legitimately hopeful that the league will address most of the issues. But if they don’t, they are treating the players like pieces of meat and that just won’t fly with most fans.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
There is even talk that parents visiting their kids would be forced to maintain physical distancing.

I’m legitimately hopeful that the league will address most of the issues. But if they don’t, they are treating the players like pieces of meat and that just won’t fly with most fans.

I think that they will. I also think (and maybe ill get trolled over being 'positive', not the first time) that we will be in significant better shape in 4 months. I mean, look at the posts 4 months ago and look at the posts today. It's night and day. We'll see if we do get another wave and if we can contain it like we have with hot spots over the past month.

Call me an optimist, but I don't think its that far off.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017
I think that they will. I also think (and maybe ill get trolled over being 'positive', not the first time) that we will be in significant better shape in 4 months. I mean, look at the posts 4 months ago and look at the posts today. It's night and day. We'll see if we do get another wave and if we can contain it like we have with hot spots over the past month.

Call me an optimist, but I don't think its that far off.

The NHL and NBA have proven that the only way to keep everyone safe is to have a self contained bubble for the whole league. You could say the MLB has proven this theory as well........just from the opposite side. I fear that if the CHL has fans showing up to games and players travelling from rink to rink, they will end up in the same situation as MLB.
Are we willing to risk the future health of these kids? We still are learning how Covid affects our brain, heart and other internal organs. There will be repercussions for Covid survivors in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot