Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread) [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Apparently, yes. Along with all other non-essential businesses.

But, the good news is I was at Ikea this week and it was jam packed. So we've got that going for us....

I went to an IKEA months ago, it was jammed then too, Im going to guess thats been a daily thing for them since they re-opened.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Some more of the same that we previously heard, however there is some new info

MacLeod: OHL's return won't happen with bodychecking, physical contact - Sportsnet.ca

"I know, right now, that those options are not the preferred route," said MacLeod. "They have provided us with a robust return-to-play proposal for our consideration.
"I think that their hope would be not to be in a bubble or tournament situation."
Minor hockey associations in Ontario have a planned restart this month without bodychecking, fighting, or faceoffs. Teams must also be kept in 50-player bubbles, with play limited to 3-on-3 or 4-on-4 to help skaters remain physically distant on the bench.

If they are playing 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 I'm nor exactly sure how that helps things on the bench unless they reduce roster size. if anything it would make it more crowded on the bench.. maybe they should go 7 on 7 or 8 on 8?

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012

MacLeod: OHL's return won't happen with bodychecking, physical contact - Sportsnet.ca

"I know, right now, that those options are not the preferred route," said MacLeod. "They have provided us with a robust return-to-play proposal for our consideration.
"I think that their hope would be not to be in a bubble or tournament situation."
Minor hockey associations in Ontario have a planned restart this month without bodychecking, fighting, or faceoffs. Teams must also be kept in 50-player bubbles, with play limited to 3-on-3 or 4-on-4 to help skaters remain physically distant on the bench.

If they are playing 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 I'm nor exactly sure how that helps things on the bench unless they reduce roster size. if anything it would make it more crowded on the bench.. maybe they should go 7 on 7 or 8 on 8?

Pond hockey. Sounds GREAT.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Girls hockey has no official body checking. If you have ever watched higher level girls hockey it can get very boisterous. Not worried if there is "no body checking". It is the 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 that will make it no more than a gimmick for me.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Girls hockey has no official body checking. If you have ever watched higher level girls hockey it can get very boisterous. Not worried if there is "no body checking". It is the 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 that will make it no more than a gimmick for me.

I agree. There will be contact of course but no real hitting. How many hits per game anyway?

The only question I have is scrums int he corners. Is that affected?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
At this point, the OHL should consider playing in another province to start the season. How many players will opt out instead of hurting their development playing a messed-up form of the game?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

LOL. Exactly. No one who’s supposed to be smart really thinks much...

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I agree. There will be contact of course but no real hitting. How many hits per game anyway?

The only question I have is scrums int he corners. Is that affected?

Probably all contact banned. Youth teams can't even have faceoffs. If it's that bad, then it;s not worth playing the OHL season (in Ontario, at least).

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

I was thinking the same thing. I had a daughter play at a decently high level and its not exactly 'non contact'. I'm not sure this one makes sense from a medical or a hockey perspective.

The bizarre aspect is Dr Isaac Bogoch, who probably has been the most balanced guy I have seen with regards to this and sports, seemed to think that body contact isn't a factor with COVID.

A bodycheck? Of course it’s close contact. And of course the risk is not zero percent. But I think, with such fleeting contact, the risk is probably lower than what we think. And there are other higher-yield areas to really focus on.

Is it safe for youth sports to resume? An infectious diseases expert weighs in

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

aaaand-were-done.jpg

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Alot of prospects will be opting out.. How can you get ready to develop and play against grown men if you aren't aloud to have body contact vs other kids your age? Setting these kids up to get absolutely destroyed the following years.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Alot of prospects will be opting out.. How can you get ready to develop and play against grown men if you aren't aloud to have body contact vs other kids your age? Setting these kids up to get absolutely destroyed the following years.

I can see the NHLPA agreement etc.. allowing kids at the age of 19 allowed to play in the AHL. The OHL/CHL doesn't have the infrastructure to play and survive during a pandemic. Professional leagues can at least come up with bubbles/testing procedures.

Reactions: EvenSteven

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I can see the NHLPA agreement etc.. allowing kids at the age of 19 allowed to play in the AHL. The OHL/CHL doesn't have the infrastructure to play and survive during a pandemic. Professional leagues can at least come up with bubbles/testing procedures.

At this point, I have doubts the AHL will operate. Lots of NHL organizations are sending their top prospects overseas on full year contracts to guarantee playing time.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Lisa MacLeod is a Canadian I would assume. That is the kind of decision some moronic azzhat in the States would make, knowing nothing of the game. For cripes sake, consult somebody before you make a fool of yourself...it's the national sport and she knows nothing of it.

I am mystified that we have let so many clueless individuals in both our countries make decisions based on a total lack of knowledge as to what they are deciding apon.

Meanwhile in the good old USA, football players wear no masks and coaches get fined for removing them.

Pogo was right..."we have met the enemy and he is us..."!

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
This isn’t a popular take, but I’m not going to be upset if there’s no hitting. I love a nice hit as much as the next person, but realistically how much of hit is there really in the league anyways? It’s a skill league, it’s not like we’re watching the ECHL here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->