Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread as it relates to the OHL) [Part 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Pay attention to what the NHL Canadian teams are allowed to do up on there return in January because Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health had said the OHL will not be allow contact, fighting if play resumes, so does the NHL have to same rule apply to them,if not why 2 rules and if both are the same I can't see the NHL resuming till there is contact.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Pay attention to what the NHL Canadian teams are allowed to do up on there return in January because Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health had said the OHL will not be allow contact, fighting if play resumes, so does the NHL have to same rule apply to them,if not why 2 rules and if both are the same I can't see the NHL resuming till there is contact.

It wasn't Christine Elliott and it was Lisa McLeod and Ford already came out the next day and said that wasn't true

Reactions: Tim Wallach

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

NHL has rapid testing and daily testing. The OHL would never do that.

Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
We have a shutdown border plus a lot of orange, red and shutdown zones within our province with the Christmas season looming. I think whether or not hitting will be allowed is the least of our problems.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
We have a shutdown border plus a lot of orange, red and shutdown zones within our province with the Christmas season looming. I think whether or not hitting will be allowed is the least of our problems.

Given the increase in COVID levels across Southern Ontario, it's looking more like "will we even HAVE a season", rather than "should there be contact this season?"

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I know, as of Saturday, The Ottawa Hospital (TOH) had only 11 hospitalizations for Covid. 2 of those in ICU. I haven't seen hospitalizations there hit 20 since the spring.

For those outside Ottawa, TOH is a merged hospital consiting of three Campuses (General, Civic & Riverside). Covid patients are at both the Civic and General campuses. Again, combined, they have 11. TOH is one of the largest hospitals in all of Canada because of the three campus merge. So, 11 patients is quite low.

Ottawa has two other hospitals, Queensway-Carleton and Montfort. Both of those hospitals are smaller than either of the two TOH hospitals.

As it stands now, Ottawa is still one of the "hardest" hit zones in Ontario but it isn't translating into a hospital capacity situation. Not even close. I am not sure what the situation is in the GTA and Peel Region for hospitalizations.

Based on this information, I cannot see Ottawa going into a "red" zone designation anytime soon. Hockey should be ok to play here and I really don't see much changing as we head into the winter.

I can see the possibility of holding some sort of series of tournaments with brief breaks in between. If they do that, "cooler" zones could be used. ottawa would be a relatively safe zone. Kingston is also doing very well overall. I could see the Fronts hosting tournaments too.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Aside from everything else already posted, if the NHL actually resumes in January it'll at least start in a bubble. So apples and oranges

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Given the increase in COVID levels across Southern Ontario, it's looking more like "will we even HAVE a season", rather than "should there be contact this season?"

Yep. It's not like this will get better (until well into April if we're lucky with weather) over the next 3-4 months. Fingers crossed they can start playing (without fans) in September or October.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yep. It's not like this will get better (until well into April if we're lucky with weather) over the next 3-4 months. Fingers crossed they can start playing (without fans) in September or October.

IF they can get a vaccine out by Spring, I'd imagine you'll start seeing fans back by Sept. It might have to be a "show us proof of vaccine or a negative test", plus masks, but it's not impossible.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
IF they can get a vaccine out by Spring, I'd imagine you'll start seeing fans back by Sept. It might have to be a "show us proof of vaccine or a negative test", plus masks, but it's not impossible.

It is not likely we will have a vaccine distributed and injected by spring. On top of that, you need time to actually let the vaccine take hold.

First, it requires two doses 3 weeks apart. Second, there are 15mil Ontarians. The logistics required to pull that off is huge.

The other issue is vaccine availability. Canada has committed to more than enough doses BUT they need to manufacture those doses. It is not like Canada is the only one to order vaccines as well. It will take the full calendar year of 2021 to receive, distribute, inoculate (twice) every person wanting the vaccine.

Then, the numbers need to go down. That won’t happen overnight.

The challenge will be when the numbers naturally go down in the late spring and through the summer while the vaccine is being administered, it will be difficult to maintain the message that it is the virus offseason. That means we may still see a “3rd wave” next September, especially if people generally think the vaccine is well underway and “obviously” has had an impact when it is the summer that is the real reason for the lower numbers. Also, if the numbers go down in May-June as predicted, it may be less motivation for people to follow through with the vaccination schedule.

A report I heard the other day was we’d get something like 2mil doses in canada by end of year provided Health Canada approves the vaccine. Considering they’ve been manufacturing it regardless of success (which is why we paid for it already), we probably will only get around 2mil doses per month, more if both the Pfizer and Moderna get approved.

I think, based on this, we really need to temper our expectations for hockey. Based on how the Government has proceeded this far, it is highly unlikely there will be any significant attendance...aka ticket sales.

Others have raised the question regarding “hot spots” and how that may affect things. Although this is a valid point, we also need to realize there are many outside the box solutions available to the league. IT is a matter of cost-benefit.

I think the one really good solution could be a series of divisional tournaments where the teams can somewhat bubble for a week or so at a time with breaks between. Those divisional tournaments can happen in the most safe locations. This would require a significant commitment of many games in short periods. This may require expanded rosters or shorter games.

In a tournament situation, there would be a bubble set up to accommodate the teams. When the tournament is over, the teams return to their base city and recover and train/practice.

This is not ideal BUT it is a way to ensure teams are playing in safe zones. With multiple teams, they can share entire hotels to create a better bubble.

Again, nothing is perfect and no proposed solution is ideal. However, I think if we consider the only option being teams billeting with families and playing inter-division and a normal home-away schedule format, we will set ourselves up for failure. There will need to be sacrifices made on behalf of the League, players, teams-organizations and families supporting players. Fans really aren’t in the conversation.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I know this has been discussed previously but I wonder if the OHL were to be subsidized by the Ontario Government, whether that would be more motivation to give them a wider birth?

We see games played in Quebec right now. I am wondering if that is because they gave $20mil subsidy and don’t want to have that politically viewed as throwing $$$ down a pit?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I know this has been discussed previously but I wonder if the OHL were to be subsidized by the Ontario Government, whether that would be more motivation to give them a wider birth?

We see games played in Quebec right now. I am wondering if that is because they gave $20mil subsidy and don’t want to have that politically viewed as throwing $$$ down a pit?

The Quebec league is trying. However it was money thrown away.
Junior hockey not essential.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

I sure hope so, but that would require an effective vaccine to be produced and distributed properly. Which will take many months. Then they'll have to find out if it actually works, which I would assume would take a minimum of 3 months (to track cases) and more like 6. I think 2021 is a write off in terms of fans being allowed in anywhere. But I really hope I'm wrong.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013

Interesting question, OMG.

The QMJHL actually got $12 million, not $20 million, from the provincial government and did in fact distribute $1 million to each of the 12 Quebec-based clubs.

As of today, half the teams in the Q haven’t played even 10 games (Sherbrooke has only played 5) for various Covid-related reasons, and not even the clubs in Atlantic Canada have been spared. The league has postponed more games than it has played, the so-called Atlantic Bubble has officially burst, and the league’s Christmas shutdown is being extended for an extra week.

But ... the Quebec-based teams all have $1 million reasons to carry on.

I even wonder if the money has to be returned if they do shutdown, which speaks to your point about the possible forces at work if the OHL receives a bailout. Would government money incentivize the league to play, or to turtle? Probably depends on the bailout specifics.

As a related aside, Rick Westhead reported awhile ago that equipment manufacturer CCM has joined the government lobby line to get amateur hockey rolling.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
It is not likely we will have aquired to pull that off is huge.

The other issue is vaccine availability. Canada has committed to more than enough doses BUT vaccine distributed and injected by spring. On top of that, you need time to actually let the vaccine take hold.

First, it requires two doses 3 weeks apart. Second, there are 15mil Ontarians. The logistics rethey need to manufacture those doses. It is not like Canada is the only one to order vaccines as well. It will take the full calendar year of 2021 to receive, distribute, inoculate (twice) every person wanting the vaccine.

Then, the numbers need to go down. That won’t happen overnight.

The challenge will be when the numbers naturally go down in the late spring and through the summer while the vaccine is being administered, it will be difficult to maintain the message that it is the virus offseason. That means we may still see a “3rd wave” next September, especially if people generally think the vaccine is well underway and “obviously” has had an impact when it is the summer that is the real reason for the lower numbers. Also, if the numbers go down in May-June as predicted, it may be less motivation for people to follow through with the vaccination schedule.

A report I heard the other day was we’d get something like 2mil doses in canada by end of year provided Health Canada approves the vaccine. Considering they’ve been manufacturing it regardless of success (which is why we paid for it already), we probably will only get around 2mil doses per month, more if both the Pfizer and Moderna get approved.

I think, based on this, we really need to temper our expectations for hockey. Based on how the Government has proceeded this far, it is highly unlikely there will be any significant attendance...aka ticket sales.

Others have raised the question regarding “hot spots” and how that may affect things. Although this is a valid point, we also need to realize there are many outside the box solutions available to the league. IT is a matter of cost-benefit.

I think the one really good solution could be a series of divisional tournaments where the teams can somewhat bubble for a week or so at a time with breaks between. Those divisional tournaments can happen in the most safe locations. This would require a significant commitment of many games in short periods. This may require expanded rosters or shorter games.

In a tournament situation, there would be a bubble set up to accommodate the teams. When the tournament is over, the teams return to their base city and recover and train/practice.

This is not ideal BUT it is a way to ensure teams are playing in safe zones. With multiple teams, they can share entire hotels to create a better bubble.

Again, nothing is perfect and no proposed solution is ideal. However, I think if we consider the only option being teams billeting with families and playing inter-division and a normal home-away schedule format, we will set ourselves up for failure. There will need to be sacrifices made on behalf of the League, players, teams-organizations and families supporting players. Fans really aren’t in the conversation.
I agree 100%, I posted the similar idea on the Kitchener board a few months ago of tourneys being played in late winter early spring. For me, its the only way I see any OHL hockey this season. (season????)

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

Not sure how many are aware of this. I would imagine all teams applied.

"The accountants’ report also showed the Rangers received $137,850 this year from the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy to help with payroll."

Kitchener Rangers lose money for first time in 25 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad