Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread as it relates to the OHL) [Part 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Given cases are popping up over there with teams either postponing games or shutting down until 2021, I'm leaning towards Canada on this one. At some point, we'll realize this isn't something to mess with. Maybe not, though.

I can see no season.....

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Brandt Clarke and Pavel Gogolev have just signed in the Allsvenskan (Sweden). Per EliteProspects, Clarke will play there until the season is over. Their regular season ends March 13th with 4 weeks of playoffs following it.

Continued from: Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread) [Part 2]

Posts need to be directly related to the OHL in some way. There are plenty of other places on the internet to talk about COVID in general, how various governments are handling it, how the public is handling it and people are reacting, how vaccine progress is going, what the current COVID numbers are, etc.
Might want to rename the thread....the title implies Covid 19 discussion

As we're talking Covid and the OHL...what measures or lack thereof would keep you from attending a game this season(if there even is a puck drop)

example:...if they stated masks at all times...separate family pods of fans...no concessions etc.

Would you attend games?...or just take a pass this season?

Discuss

I for one would be there no matter what protocols they put in place for fan attendance

Reactions: JoelKRangers

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
As we're talking Covid and the OHL...what measures or lack thereof would keep you from attending a game this season(if there even is a puck drop)

example:...if they stated masks at all times...separate family pods of fans...no concessions etc.

Discuss

I for one would be there no matter what protocols they put in place for fan attendance

I would abide by whatever preventative measures were in place and enjoy my OHL games.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Discuss

I would attend every single game I could but a member of my immediate family has a compromise issue so it is still a wait and see where we are at in a few months. I mean I would attend games with a hazmat suit if that is what it takes.

I would attend every single game I could but a member of my immediate family has a compromise issue so it is still a wait and see where we are at in a few months. I mean I would attend games with a hazmat suit if that is what it takes.
I have underlying health conditions myself that put me in the "high risk" zone based on Health Canada guidelines....like you...if they say wear a hazmat suit...I'm going to games

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
More on the ECHL situation - Expect the entire North Division to cease operations for the season. That's Adirondack, Brampton, Maine, Newfoundland, Reading and Worcester. Official announcement expected around 2ET.

Reactions: three dog night

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Discuss

If fans are allowed, I'm at the rink. I wear a mask to work as it is; those aren't a big deal. Take my temperature, close concessions, make me go in a specific direction... doesn't matter to me. Not only have we gone eight months without hockey, we went eight months AFTER an unexpectedly halted season. I'd love a chance to get back in the rink and watch a game; nothing taken for granted.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Discuss

As a longstanding fan of the league and Owen Sound I would be one of many not all but many who would say that whatever protocols are put in place that would allow for the ability to watch the OHL live in person wouldn't be an issue. As a fan for 20+ years I can say without a doubt that I'd rather abide by whatever the protocols would be if it got me the ability to get to watch the OHL again.

I can't speak for others but however I can say this, if anyone who is a fan of this league is uncomfortable with or feels short shafted because of the world situation then those fans need to give there heads a shake. No matter what will happen fans shouldn't complain about what is being asked of them if it means wearing masks or temperature checks, sitting in a different seat or even limiting where they can go during games is all a small price to pay if it means that the OHL will come back.

As for concessions being one that goes to the concessions on a time to time and week to week basis, it wouldn't shock me if they're open or not, every city in the OHL has fast food restaurants with drive thru options and even though I may not be putting down $10-20 for dinner at the game each week there will be many people who will still go to those booths for food. The big adjustment will be how the concession staff will have to prepare for games and what safety measures will need to be put in place.

Now I haven't been in every arena in the OHL but from what I remember about the ones I have been in all of them are strictly cash concessions which if they do open them up for next season if it is a go teams will have to adjust their method of payments which would mean that they may have to bring in ATM payment pads as fans may or may not have cash on them.

As for seating whatever they do with how the X number of fans who can attend or where we sit shouldn't really be a concern as long as theres games and fans can attend does it really make a difference if the seat beside you has someone sitting in it or if there on seat down. Most STH's would accept temporary relocation of there seats as long as they could see games the fans who would be the ones who may get their feathers ruffled is those occasional fans who may have limited seating options for them but that's something that all teams will have to adapt to and so will the fans.

To sum up fans who are diehards will go if they know what is expected of them and occasional fans who are on the fence will likely not it really depends on building capacities and fans comfortablity.

As a longstanding fan of the league and Owen Sound I would be one of many not all but many who would say that whatever protocols are put in place that would allow for the ability to watch the OHL live in person wouldn't be an issue. As a fan for 20+ years I can say without a doubt that I'd rather abide by whatever the protocols would be if it got me the ability to get to watch the OHL again.

I can't speak for others but however I can say this, if anyone who is a fan of this league is uncomfortable with or feels short shafted because of the world situation then those fans need to give there heads a shake. No matter what will happen fans shouldn't complain about what is being asked of them if it means wearing masks or temperature checks, sitting in a different seat or even limiting where they can go during games is all a small price to pay if it means that the OHL will come back.

As for concessions being one that goes to the concessions on a time to time and week to week basis, it wouldn't shock me if they're open or not, every city in the OHL has fast food restaurants with drive thru options and even though I may not be putting down $10-20 for dinner at the game each week there will be many people who will still go to those booths for food. The big adjustment will be how the concession staff will have to prepare for games and what safety measures will need to be put in place.

Now I haven't been in every arena in the OHL but from what I remember about the ones I have been in all of them are strictly cash concessions which if they do open them up for next season if it is a go teams will have to adjust their method of payments which would mean that they may have to bring in ATM payment pads as fans may or may not have cash on them.

As for seating whatever they do with how the X number of fans who can attend or where we sit shouldn't really be a concern as long as theres games and fans can attend does it really make a difference if the seat beside you has someone sitting in it or if there on seat down. Most STH's would accept temporary relocation of there seats as long as they could see games the fans who would be the ones who may get their feathers ruffled is those occasional fans who may have limited seating options for them but that's something that all teams will have to adapt to and so will the fans.

To sum up fans who are diehards will go if they know what is expected of them and occasional fans who are on the fence will likely not it really depends on building capacities and fans comfortablity.
As a STH for the better part of 52 years...OHL hockey is my life and always has been. To say I miss it is an understatement. It's a void right now not having my "routine" for lack of a better term

52 years a STH is dedication and quite an accomplishment. TV is a solid 2nd place. Just not the same.
We sat out the 1st season(2002-03) as "official STH's" when The JLC opened in order to find which seats we wanted. We remained on the STH list with the Knights but purchased seats all over the rink until settling on the spot we are now. My father(who passed in 2017) was pretty tight with the Season Ticket office and worked out that deal somehow ;)

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
As a STH for the better part of 52 years...OHL hockey is my life and always has been. To say I miss it is an understatement. It's a void right now not having my "routine" for lack of a better term

I'm at 20 years (this season) and have been a regular for around 25. I said on opening night "this is the first time I can remember being at home, watching TV, on the third Thurs of Sept." The ONLY thing that keeps me sane on Thurs now is Supernatural LOL and even that's done as of this week (though, that's been a helluva ride).

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Brampton Beast of the ECHL are one of eight teams to voluntarily sit out the '20-'21 season.

That opens the door for the possibility of the Brampton facility being used as a landing spot for a US based team should those teams require relocation to Canada.

This also presents the option of teams choosing to voluntarily sit out the season. I don't think that is likely, actually it would be extremely unlikely; however, considering eight ECHL teams did it, it has to at least be a consideration for CHL teams.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The Brampton Beast of the ECHL are one of eight teams to voluntarily sit out the '20-'21 season.

That opens the door for the possibility of the Brampton facility being used as a landing spot for a US based team should those teams require relocation to Canada.

This also presents the option of teams choosing to voluntarily sit out the season. I don't think that is likely, actually it would be extremely unlikely; however, considering eight ECHL teams did it, it has to at least be a consideration for CHL teams.

If teams opt out i respect their decision.

Reactions: JoelKRangers

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

I thought it might be an opportunity for some current OHLers as well (especially younger ones). But with these rules, they get to play 6 games in a best case scenario.

Also, regarding the "isolation break" following each 3 week period of games, is that a full on quarantine or just no games? If it's a complete 2-week quarantine, I don't see why anyone would do that every 2 out of every 5 weeks. But on the other hand, if they are still practicing, going to school, or in some cases working, what is the point of the isolation period?

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Continued from: Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread) [Part 2]

Posts need to be directly related to the OHL in some way. There are plenty of other places on the internet to talk about COVID in general, how various governments are handling it, how the public is handling it and people are reacting, how vaccine progress is going, what the current COVID numbers are, etc.
Amen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->