Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread as it relates to the OHL) [Part 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If only there were precautions people could do now that prevents the spread... I'm sure they'll come up with something.

According to you not enough people are doing it and you want to call them names because you won't be able to see family for Christmas, or it makes you feel better. You talk about selfish people but seems like you're the selfish one because you can't have Christmas.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
According to you not enough people are doing it and you want to call them names because you won't be able to see family for Christmas, or it makes you feel better. You talk about selfish people but seems like you're the selfish one because you can't have Christmas.

It's not name calling. It's an accurate description. We could have had hockey already if not for the asshats

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I'm selfish because I want people to stop being idiots, wear masks, social distance, and get numbers down to reasonable levels so I can see close friends/family for Christmas? I'm okay with that :laugh: and, yes, people who scream "MA RIGHTS!", refuse to wear a mask, have parties/weddings without masks, and generally act like this thing is no big deal... they're idiots. Numbers up, hockey postponed, Christmas on the brink, etc etc etc... that's on them.

"I have to get vaccinated/tested to see (band here)?? SCREW YOU TM!!" - I can see it now. I think it's smart by TM, too; get some assurance that people won't be complete idiots.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm selfish because I want people to stop being idiots, wear masks, social distance, and get numbers down to reasonable levels so I can see close friends/family for Christmas? I'm okay with that :laugh: and, yes, people who scream "MA RIGHTS!", refuse to wear a mask, have parties/weddings without masks, and generally act like this thing is no big deal... they're idiots. Numbers up, hockey postponed, Christmas on the brink, etc etc etc... that's on them.

"I have to get vaccinated/tested to see (band here)?? SCREW YOU TM!!" - I can see it now. I think it's smart by TM, too; get some assurance that people won't be complete idiots.

Covid not going away.
Make plans next year possible....

Reactions: Mata

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

Right now is against the law for a lot of people to go to work to provide for their family. Earlier this year people were issued $880 tickets for walking through a public park. I'm sorry but we are supposed to have rights protected under the Charter of rights and freedoms and a lot of these are being violated.

People having huge parties and wedding is stupid. People can do without those and theres really no reason why people can't put a wedding off for now. Masks suck and I think we can all agree on that, but if they help and prevent transmission or help lower viral load and prevent serious illness then its a small inconvenience to put up with until a vaccine is found.

My point is that not all people complaining are yahoos. Some have a valid point about their rights being violated.

Otto

Right now is against the law for a lot of people to go to work to provide for their family. Earlier this year people were issued $880 tickets for walking through a public park. I'm sorry but we are supposed to have rights protected under the Charter of rights and freedoms and a lot of these are being violated.

People having huge parties and wedding is stupid. People can do without those and theres really no reason why people can't put a wedding off for now. Masks suck and I think we can all agree on that, but if they help and prevent transmission or help lower viral load and prevent serious illness then its a small inconvenience to put up with until a vaccine is found.

My point is that not all people complaining are yahoos. Some have a valid point about their rights being violated.
Were people fined for simply walking though a park? Or were they fined for using the recreational equipment? Were the parks off limits at the time? Regardless I would say those people are in the vast minority.

Otto

Ontario rejected its own public health agency’s advice when it launched its colour-coded plan for COVID-19 restrictions

So we only have ourselves to blame? I mean even when the leadership of this province rejected the advice of public health. Have a real hard time putting g this solely on the public when leadership doesn't even set an example.

Except.... the colour coded plan has only been in effect for a short time... and the cases have been rising since September.

Asshats are going to be asshats... I mean.. when have politicians "set an example" for anything?

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London

Charter Rights are valid where they do not violate the safety/well being of others. "MA RIGHTS" comes down to what each of us personally believes, which usually is whatever is convenient to the individual at the time.

I concur that weddings, parties and large social gatherings are not required nor conducive to the collective good. And that ladies and gentlemen is what our society is predicated on, the "collective good", although most people deem it based on selfish and greedy principles.

OK, I'm climbing off my soap box now....

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Charter Rights are valid where they do not violate the safety/well being of others. "MA RIGHTS" comes down to what each of us personally believes, which usually is whatever is convenient to the individual at the time.

I concur that weddings, parties and large social gatherings are not required nor conducive to the collective good. And that ladies and gentlemen is what our society is predicated on, the "collective good", although most people deem it based on selfish and greedy principles.

OK, I'm climbing off my soap box now....

Amen

Reactions: Otto

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This thread is starting to get really, really off-topic. I've tried to let it go for as long as I can, as I prefer to just let the posters post and only moderate when absolutely necessary, but it's going too far. I'm going to be stricter in this thread going forward. Posts need to be directly related to the OHL in some way. There are plenty of other places on the internet to talk about COVID in general, how various governments are handling it, how the public is handling it and people are reacting, how vaccine progress is going, what the current COVID numbers are, etc.

Last edited:

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
This thread is starting to get really, really off-topic. I've tried to let it go for as long as I can, as I prefer to just the posters post and only moderate when absolutely necessary, but it's going too far. I'm going to be stricter in this thread going forward. Posts need to be directly related to the OHL in some way. There are plenty of other places on the internet to talk about COVID in general, how various governments are handling it, how the public is handling it and people are reacting, how vaccine progress is going, what the current COVID numbers are, etc.

Thank you

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Good to see things continue forward if this shows anything the O and W will follow suit when the leagues get going. Of course this is something that the CHL will be watching closely to see where it heads as February 4th continues to get closer and closer as the weeks go by.

There's still lots of scenarios that can happen between now and then with mixed results still up in the air.

Nothing is set in stone until scheduled dates get announced by the league...

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
The Alberta Junior Hockey League is in a tough spot right now.

The League was scheduled to begin their regular season tomorrow, November 14. However, Alberta implemented strong Covid-19 restrictions today, November 13, that prohibit indoor team sports in Edmonton and surrounding areas, Calgary and surrounding area, Grande Prairie, Lethbridge, Fort McMurray and Red Deer.

The league took full advantage of the WHL’s decision to “loan” players until major junior training camps begin (God knows exactly when that will be, but late December seems like the plan).

The attached article speaks to the significant number of WHL players currently rostered to AJHL teams.

There's a Junior Arms Race Out West

The Alberta government’s prohibition on indoor team sports is scheduled to be in place for two weeks, November 13-27, so perhaps this is just a 14 day delay for the hockey teams and players.

As an aside, I came across the Alberta Government’s official Covid-19 “Junior, Collegiate and University League Guidance,” which the AJHL worked within to develop their Return-to-Play plan. The document states that it applies to a wide variety of amateur sport leagues, including the WHL.

https://www.alberta.ca/assets/docum...-junior-collegiate-and-university-leagues.pdf

Alberta is not Ontario, but how our western neighbours handle the junior hockey situation is interesting.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The Alberta Junior Hockey League is in a tough spot right now.

The League was scheduled to begin their regular season tomorrow, November 14. However, Alberta implemented strong Covid-19 restrictions today, November 13, that prohibit indoor team sports in Edmonton and surrounding areas, Calgary and surrounding area, Grande Prairie, Lethbridge, Fort McMurray and Red Deer.

The league took full advantage of the WHL’s decision to “loan” players until major junior training camps begin (God knows exactly when that will be, but late December seems like the plan).

The attached article speaks to the significant number of WHL players currently rostered to AJHL teams.

There's a Junior Arms Race Out West

The Alberta government’s prohibition on indoor team sports is scheduled to be in place for two weeks, November 13-27, so perhaps this is just a 14 day delay for the hockey teams and players.

As an aside, I came across the Alberta Government’s official Covid-19 “Junior, Collegiate and University League Guidance,” which the AJHL worked within to develop their Return-to-Play plan. The document states that it applies to a wide variety of amateur sport leagues, including the WHL.

https://www.alberta.ca/assets/docum...-junior-collegiate-and-university-leagues.pdf

Alberta is not Ontario, but how our western neighbours handle the junior hockey situation is interesting.

No season could be the right plan.

Reactions: Bear in the Woods
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad