Next Season (COVID-19 Discussion Thread as it relates to the OHL) [Part 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You are basing it off of total population.. I'm basing it on % of tests. .. you can't base it on the entire population because as you said we don't know how many people have it but haven't been tested

In fact, you do base it on population. That is why the Mortality Rate is the measure for deaths when trying to determine the severity of the virus. We cannot test everyone all the time so we can never truly know how many infections there are.

We know how many people have reasonably died from the Virus. It shouldn’t matter how many people get it. IT should only matter how many people require hospitalization, ICU beds and Deaths as a percentage of our population.

The Mortality rate for this is VERY low even when considering Covid wasn’t the primary cause of their death in most of the early cases, but they were listed as a Covid death anyway.

The longer we judge this virus on its spread as opposed to its damage, the longer we will suffer the consequences of Of our actions.

Reactions: Blueliner65

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’ll search for the link and try to post it, but apparently in the State of Wisconsin the operators of retirement and long term care facilities for the elderly are working together to lobby the state government to eliminate existing requirements that staff be credentialed, members of a professional regulatory body, and submit a “clean” vulnerable sector criminal record check. In other words, qualified staff are running for their lives and the operators would like to replace them with virtually any warm bodies.

I am not 100% sure about this BUT, the Ontario Government will be making an announcement in early November and I have a feeling it will be the proposed overhaul on the medical operations of Long Term Care Facilities including the acquisition of their supplies. I also think the Hospitals in the region will be responsible for their medical portion of the operations including in some cases staffing them.

I am not sure what the full breadth of this will be but this is the speculation.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I am not 100% sure about this BUT, the Ontario Government will be making an announcement in early November and I have a feeling it will be the proposed overhaul on the medical operations of Long Term Care Facilities including the acquisition of their supplies. I also think the Hospitals in the region will be responsible for their medical portion of the operations including in some cases staffing them.

I am not sure what the full breadth of this will be but this is the speculation.
2 different countries 2 different approaches.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

Are you familiar with this treatment for COVID...results have been outstanding? Drug called AVIPTADIL (RLF-100). Remember the name...order it for your hospital...you'll become a rock star among your peers.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Are you familiar with this treatment for COVID...results have been outstanding? Drug called AVIPTADIL (RLF-100). Remember the name...order it for your hospital...you'll become a rock star among your peers.

LOL. I am assuming you just dumped a bunch of $$$ in as investment?

Reactions: nelli27

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
2 different countries 2 different approaches.

For sure but what I am outlining is a new approach for the Province of Ontario.

It will be interesting to see what the final decision is but it looks like a rather comprehensive overhaul here at home.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Per Insider Trading on TSN and a couple other sources I have, it looks like the NHL is highly motivated to have an AHL season. They want prospects getting in as much work as possible.

Also hearing there will be a cap exempt taxi-squad travelling with the NHL teams. This will be very helpful for teams close or at the cap. For example, the Toronto Maple Leafs may have about $200k left after they get everyone signed but will only ever have to account for the 20 roster players. They’d be able to reserve a few players without sending them to the Minors. This would be for Covid safety net so they can have quick access to replacement players and reduce travel from NHL club to AHL club.

The other issue for the NHL/AHL is the Border closure. The AHL has Belleville (Ottawa), Toronto (Toronto), and Manitoba (Winnipeg) playing out of Canadian Arena’s. I’m not sure if the ECHL will operate but you have Newfoundland and Brampton playing out of Canada in that league.

I know this was tossed out there by Beast early on that maybe something that would make sense is an arena switch for the season. Belleville, Toronto and Brampton could switch with Erie, Saginaw and Flint for the season to accommodate border crossing issues.

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Per Insider Trading on TSN and a couple other sources I have, it looks like the NHL is highly motivated to have an AHL season. They want prospects getting in as much work as possible.

Also hearing there will be a cap exempt taxi-squad travelling with the NHL teams. This will be very helpful for teams close or at the cap. For example, the Toronto Maple Leafs may have about $200k left after they get everyone signed but will only ever have to account for the 20 roster players. They’d be able to reserve a few players without sending them to the Minors. This would be for Covid safety net so they can have quick access to replacement players and reduce travel from NHL club to AHL club.

The other issue for the NHL/AHL is the Border closure. The AHL has Belleville (Ottawa), Toronto (Toronto), and Manitoba (Winnipeg) playing out of Canadian Arena’s. I’m not sure if the ECHL will operate but you have Newfoundland and Brampton playing out of Canada in that league.

I know this was tossed out there by Beast early on that maybe something that would make sense is an arena switch for the season. Belleville, Toronto and Brampton could switch with Erie, Saginaw and Flint for the season to accommodate border crossing issues.

Chris Johnston alluded to the AHL teams playing out of whatever city their NHL team is and playing the same schedule (ie. If the Leafs play the Senators in Ottawa, the Marlies will play the Baby Sens in Ottawa presumably earlier in the day).

imarriedawitch

Criticism ad nauseam is abuse.
Sep 22, 2013
London<>Las Vegas

NHL News
@PuckReportNHL
· 55m
Pierre LeBrun on Insider Trading: “There's an NHL GMs meeting on Friday. One key item - the AHL. Spoke w/ AHL prez Scott Howson, says while Dec 4 remains the target date to start next season, likely it’s pushed back to mirror the NHL - some GMs want their prospects playing ASAP.”

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
There has been talk on here about suicide rates increasing due to the pandemic. Nobody has actually posted any data on this yet , however this popped up on my Twitter feed this morning.

Suicide Deaths during the Stay-at-Home Advisory in Massachusetts.

Its only one state, but I'd be curious to see if this is the exception or the rule.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
There has been talk on here about suicide rates increasing due to the pandemic. Nobody has actually posted any data on this yet , however this popped up on my Twitter feed this morning.

Its only one state, but I'd be curious to see if this is the exception or the rule.

its way to early to know anything like that

Excess mortality during the Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19)

'Unlike statistics on confirmed COVID-19 deaths – for which several organizations such as the WHO, ECDC, and Johns Hopkins University are collating data for all countries – there is no single source of data on excess mortality.
This is a major problem for policymakers, researchers, and the general public that have a need to understand the ongoing pandemic.'

i think its pretty obvious its going to be higher then we could think, but there wont be any info for a while

see a cdc report in it

Mental Health, Substance Use, and Suicidal Ideation During the ...

'the prevalence of symptoms of anxiety disorder was approximately three times those reported in the second quarter of 2019 (25.5% versus 8.1%), and prevalence of depressive disorder was approximately four times that reported in the second quarter of 2019 (24.3% versus 6.5%) (2).'

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
its way to early to know anything like that

Excess mortality during the Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19)

'Unlike statistics on confirmed COVID-19 deaths – for which several organizations such as the WHO, ECDC, and Johns Hopkins University are collating data for all countries – there is no single source of data on excess mortality.
This is a major problem for policymakers, researchers, and the general public that have a need to understand the ongoing pandemic.'

i think its pretty obvious its going to be higher then we could think, but there wont be any info for a while

see a cdc report in it

'the prevalence of symptoms of anxiety disorder was approximately three times those reported in the second quarter of 2019 (25.5% versus 8.1%), and prevalence of depressive disorder was approximately four times that reported in the second quarter of 2019 (24.3% versus 6.5%) (2).'

I don't know if we will ever know if the increases in these things are pandemic related or not. I heard a report on the radio yesterday that the USA has hit it's highest level of substance abuse. But they also said its unclear if its because of the pandemic because at the same point last year they also hit their highest level of substance abuse.

I guess it's just best to have the peer reviewed statistics before making the statement

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I don't know if we will ever know if the increases in these things are pandemic related or not. I heard a report on the radio yesterday that the USA has hit it's highest level of substance abuse. But they also said its unclear if its because of the pandemic because at the same point last year they also hit their highest level of substance abuse.

I guess it's just best to have the peer reviewed statistics before making the statement

i think alot of people are significantly struggling mentally, every study ive seen suggests as much. i have empathy for anyone that is in a tough time right now and dont need to wait until they commit suicide/overdose to count them as a victim, but thats me.

Reactions: Otto

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I’m not a proponent of suggesting suicide rates are up or not. I don’t think people go from happy and content to suicidal based on quarantine and lockdowns. I believe if they commit suicide, it is likely they have other issues that may be triggered by the Pandemic restrictions but they’d most likely be triggered by other issues of the day regardless.

The real issue is the clinics that were shut down for three months. Things like cancer screenings, scopes, Cardiac testing and other deadly disease/illness testing not being readily available for three months have done far more damage than suicide. The problem is we have not seen much death from this yet.

Of course, someone in need of Cardiac testing that ended up dying from a heart attack has been a statistic that can be tracked. But, if you were scheduled for a Colonoscopy and ended up having it rescheduled for four months later because that clinic was shit down, your Colon Cancer may have had a 4 month delay in diagnosis. Those people have not passed yet. They will.

When this is all over and they do the data analysis, they will do an excess deaths analysis over the next couple years. We will see massive excess deaths over the next couple years well above the recorded Covid deaths. This is inevitable. People will die earlier because of lack of access to health care.

To be clear, this isn’t about someone scared to go to a hospital when they have a heart attack. Emergency services have been available the entire time. I am talking about patient screening and diagnosis. People will have treatment delayed because their diagnosis will have been delayed. Those delays will be the difference between life and death for a lot of people.

Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think during crisis such as the pandemic, it brings to light all sorts of issues that already exist in our society. From seniors issues, LTC system, income supports, mental health, drug abuse, lack of affordable housing...

Hopefully we pay attention and don't just brush these issues aside when the pandemic is over.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I think during crisis such as the pandemic, it brings to light all sorts of issues that already exist in our society. From seniors issues, LTC system, income supports, mental health, drug abuse, lack of affordable housing...

Hopefully we pay attention and don't just brush these issues aside when the pandemic is over.

Well said. My father was in a long term care centre for years, it wasn't up to standards and we couldn't get anyone from the government to the media to look into the situation. In the fall of 2020, I have a feeling that wouldn't be an issue.

I won't go into it to much, but I have lost a friend in the last little while who we (myself and his close family) believe was a mental issue that was amplified during this pandemic. To OMGs point, it probably was always there, this situation just pushed him in the wrong direction sadly.

Hopefully in a few years this attention will be the silver lining of 2020.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Agree but people are people and once Covid 19 has had it's 15 minutes of fame it will be back to government cuts/ raised taxes and the old "not in my neighbour hood" philosophy. Maybe a seed has been planted in our youth but you just have to read the Windsor thread to know people can't and won't change.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013

This should indemnify all minor hockey coaches, and in turn the OHL as well I would think.

Protecting these people is a good thing— agreed.

But I get so angry whenever governments slip something rotten into something good. This proposed legislation somehow included this:

Ontario Newsroom | Salle de presse de l'Ontario
  • The proposed legislation also includes changes to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 that would remove the option to use ranked ballots for municipal council elections, making the electoral process consistent across municipal, provincial and federal elections.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Have you noticed the “Top Doctors” for most major cities, provinces/states, and Nations all same the same thing?

Then you have what seems to be thousands of “experts” that say something different?

Personally, I have stopped listening to Doctors altogether. There is a reason why doctors recommend you get a second opinion and why many times those second opinions differ from the first. That is not just diagnosis but also in treatment methods etc.

Maybe it is time we stop listening to the Politician Doctors and start opening our ears and eyes to the ones that may have a different message. Then, with differing opinions in hand, start to make our own decisions like we would if we had our own medical condition.

It is funny that so many people do not trust politicians but for some reason we trust them to listen to their experts on this Virus and make decisions “in our best interest.” It is even more funny that most, if not all, got it wrong in the beginning and yet we still blindly follow along those same “top Doctors” like sheep accepting their diagnosis like it is handed down as gospel.

This isn’t directed at you Badger. Just my own personal rant.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
From April through July, Ontario flattened the curve had got case numbers into the double digits. How? Masks, social distancing, and listening to health officials (for the most part). Stateside, they ripped into the docs, opened up, and the numbers skyrocketed. While I'm sure Joe50305693 on Twitter or BeaverPatriot on Facebook have some killer medical advice, I'm sticking to what worked during the Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad