Speculation: Next GM of the Vancouver Canucks Part II (MOD WARNING POST 382)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Team slowly crumbled after 2011, he had all these chances to retool on the fly but failed to deliver, he should have surrounded the twins and more so Kesler with some help but didn't.

After the 2011 playoffs, Vancouver had a team that everybody generally agreed would've won the cup had they been healthy. There wasn't too much of a need to make changes, and Vancouver fell out that year because of that Daniel injury. They still put up a pretty good fight with the cup winning Kings despite that.

Looking back at that series, it seems like AV started the trend of swapping goalies early in a series. It was a horrible decision in hindsight, but still.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
That's exactly why he should of started tinkering with the core, to plan out backup plans for when one of our top two centers go down to injury.

Starts off with the mishandling of our goalie situation, what a gong show entirely, in one full hockey off/season he manages to lose Schneider for a pick, then begs for Luongo's forgiveness, to turn around and trade him for a 3rd liner and a rookie goalie.

Then there is the Torts hiring, we will never know exactly how Torts was hired, but that was terrible move.

As for 2013 cap reduction, if it was write-off year he should have brought along some youth for the season, IF not he could have traded away some of our expensive 3rd liners like Hansen, something! there's always moves to make to clear cap space.

Another one of MG's problems imo, his overvaluing of players.

You suggested that Vancouver should have retooled after declining in 2011, retooling in 2012 would have be a very idiotic thing to do. You don't retool a dominate team over a 5 game sample size.

He did exactly what you asked of him in 2013, he retooled the roster yet you're complaining about the return, something you likely would have done if he were to trade Kesler or Edler.

I'm not here to argue about moving targets.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Really like what I've read on Joe Will and Jeff Gorton.

I'd like to hope that Linden will try and get an interview with Joe Will. Seems like a very well thought of AGM for San Jose who worked his way up the ranks for 20 years indicating he got his position on merit.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
After the 2011 playoffs, Vancouver had a team that everybody generally agreed would've won the cup had they been healthy. There wasn't too much of a need to make changes, and Vancouver fell out that year because of that Daniel injury. They still put up a pretty good fight with the cup winning Kings despite that.

Looking back at that series, it seems like AV started the trend of swapping goalies early in a series. It was a horrible decision in hindsight, but still.

Agreed, it's too bad Gillis didn't replace Ehrhoff's right side QB style, imo that was vital mistake for our once dominant transitional play.

Plus I wasn't too impressed with Raymond's lack of production in that 2011 cup run, and MG tried to address that with Booth but that was another somewhat of a failure.

Yeah eventually AV just went with the hot hand and that was Schneids, which led to him taking over... I still want Schneider back!

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
You suggested that Vancouver should have retooled after declining in 2011, retooling in 2012 would have be a very idiotic thing to do. You don't retool a dominate team over a 5 game sample size.

He did exactly what you asked of him in 2013, he retooled the roster yet you're complaining about the return, something you likely would have done if he were to trade Kesler or Edler.

I'm not here to argue about moving targets.

Dominating the regular season is one thing, but if your team gets dominated in the playoffs, something has to change imo.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Ben Kuzma said Howson got a second interview. **** my life.

It's probably safe to assume we don't know the **** going on behind closed doors, so let's not make such conclusive statements?

This reads like "This scenario scares me ****less so lets not talk about it until we have to."

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
hint hint mayor bee

:D

We should acquire mayor bee and make him a full time poster here.

I spent the last six years talking people off the ledge, attempting to convince them that Howson was a lot better than they thought. And now there's the chance that I'll have to do it all over again?

....I may accept that challenge, if it comes down to it. I might even have to bust out my old skate logo jersey in the process.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Dominating the regular season is one thing, but if your team gets dominated in the playoffs, something has to change imo.

Thing is, the team didn't get dominated in the playoffs, they just got to the cup finals and if Hamhuis didn't get hurt, who knows what would have happened. During the cup finals, many key players were clearly player hurt so you don't just change something if it appears to be working.

Problem is as the team got older and with the travel schedule, players just kept getting hurt. Something that you can't really prepare for but is part of the game. Also other teams start adapting to your style of play. That's why its so hard to be repeat champions, every team that gets to the final will have their film reviewed by just about everyone and every coach will prepared to play against that team. That's the main reason our PP just disappeared in Jan. after Boston's game (since then we have pretty much been one of the worst PP in the league while the personal reminds similar... could say its Ehrhoff being gone but remember for the first 1/2 of the season, the PP was still clicking even after he left). Difference is teams started to pressure the puck handler more and i guess figured out the fact that both Sedins pretty much never take a shot (unless its the perfect shot) but rather will keep passing so its better to take away their passing lanes vs their shooting lanes.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I spent the last six years talking people off the ledge, attempting to convince them that Howson was a lot better than they thought. And now there's the chance that I'll have to do it all over again?

....I may accept that challenge, if it comes down to it. I might even have to bust out my old skate logo jersey in the process.

This team complains during good times and turns into a cesspool during mediocrity.

Not only is there a ton of pressure from the fans and media; its likely the owners are not very bright and has a history of being meddlesome.

If hired, I wonder how well Howson will fare in a high pressure market like Vancouver as opposed to Columbus.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

You don't retool a team that won 2 straight President's trophies and was one game away from winning the cup the year before, well unless you believe a 5 game sample size triumphs a 189 game one.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Thing is, the team didn't get dominated in the playoffs, they just got to the cup finals and if Hamhuis didn't get hurt, who knows what would have happened. During the cup finals, many key players were clearly player hurt so you don't just change something if it appears to be working.

Problem is as the team got older and with the travel schedule, players just kept getting hurt. Something that you can't really prepare for but is part of the game. Also other teams start adapting to your style of play. That's why its so hard to be repeat champions, every team that gets to the final will have their film reviewed by just about everyone and every coach will prepared to play against that team. That's the main reason our PP just disappeared in Jan. after Boston's game (since then we have pretty much been one of the worst PP in the league while the personal reminds similar... could say its Ehrhoff being gone but remember for the first 1/2 of the season, the PP was still clicking even after he left). Difference is teams started to pressure the puck handler more and i guess figured out the fact that both Sedins pretty much never take a shot (unless its the perfect shot) but rather will keep passing so its better to take away their passing lanes vs their shooting lanes.

Our team misses two things (especially on the powerplay).

A PPQB (Ehrhoff), and a wildcard (Samuelsson).

Ever since then we've been extremely predictable. I still believe if we weren't as injured as we were, we win that series comfortably.

bo2shink*

In the summer of 2011? Or the 2012 shortened season's summer? That's nonsense. If "get better players" is the suggestion then yippee.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
I doubt Linden is wasting time on an agm position. Unless your post was in jest.

Many people are reporting that Benning already has the job as GM. Also to answer your previous question, Howson is fairly decent at drafting. (albeit his Oiler days do include drafting Devan Dubnyk)

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Many people are reporting that Benning already has the job as GM. Also to answer your previous question, Howson is fairly decent at drafting. (albeit his Oiler days do include drafting Devan Dubnyk)

well oilers fans told us the dooooob was just as good as schneids

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
This franchise has done nothing but break my heart for 20 years. I just assume that this decision will leave me with a similar feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad