Next Coach Fired?

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
Gotta think Housley is on the hot seat. Went from a 95% chance of making the playoffs in December to heading towards another top 5 pick at this rate.

Gotta feeling he'll finish the season, then immediately be canned. I don't see JB waiting around and giving Housely another chance next year.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Unless the Hitchcock resign rumors are true nobody will leave in season

One the season ends: Housley, Boudreau, Bednar, Torts? (Unlikely)

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think any coach could have gotten that Sabres roster into the playoffs, but tonight's 2nd period collapse - 3 goals in the last 3:31 - against the Oilers just might get Phil canned.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I don't think any coach could have gotten that Sabres roster into the playoffs, but tonight's 2nd period collapse - 3 goals in the last 3:31 - against the Oilers just might get Phil canned.

Or putting Scandella on the ice with the EN.. the dude has been trash this year and should have been sat long ago, Phil's a f***ing idiot. Keeps playing him and has yet to chew out a single player. Just chews gum and sets awful lineups.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I don't think any coach could get that Sabres roster into the playoffs, but tonight's 2nd period collapse - 3 goals in the last 3:31 - against the Oilers just might get Phil canned.
A microsm of Phil Housley is that after the first period tonight, Hitchcock switched his team's scheme to a heavy two winger forecheck and they cycled the shit out of the Sabres. Hitchcock also split up McDavid and Draisaitl which led to the Oilers big second period surge. Meanwhile Phil made zero adjustments(just like he has done all year), and kept his only 3 top six forwards on the same line the entire game, despite every analytic in the book saying the offense is significantly better when Reinhart has his own line.

To top it off he split up the two D pairings that were working and kept Risto-Scandella together, again despite every analytic showing they are terrible together and should never be paired in the first place. I know Sabres fans always blame the coach but for f*** sakes can we just once hire a real respected coach that other teams actually would want?? Rolston>Nolan>Bylsma>Housley is an absolute joke. Maddening

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
At what point is the coaching excuse no longer valid in Buffalo? I thought Bylsma was the problem?

Hard to coach absolute trash.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Sucks because I respect the man greatly but Tocchet. That organization is forever a scapegoat for its coach, staff, or organization. He should have just stayed in Pittsburgh. Here in a few years with more mentoring he could have taken over for Sully. Or if not replaced him moved into a different position managerially.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
At what point is the coaching excuse no longer valid in Buffalo? I thought Bylsma was the problem?

The roster isn't a playoff contender. That doesn't mean the coaching is competent.

We've seen numerous collapses, bewildering line combinations and defense pairings, decent players benched for long stretches while marginal ones are never scratched, reluctance to make in-game adjustments, obviously green players kept on the team while more deserving AHL players languish. (Some of that is on the GM, of course.)

A more experienced, capable, demanding coach could have gotten more from an admittedly weak roster.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014

Roster still has the stench of GMTM. Next year, the Sabres improve a bit more moving on from several million in expiring contracts and bringing up actual talent from Rochester. Sure, Tage and Mitts should have spent the year in Rochester, but what else is there to fill those gaps? Besides, Rochester has talent that needs minutes, not riding pine.

Sabres suck. Yes. Albeit less than they did last year and less so next year. Progress is going to take longer than we expected..

Reactions: SabresSharks

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

A microsm of Phil Housley is that after the first period tonight, Hitchcock switched his team's scheme to a heavy two winger forecheck and they cycled the **** out of the Sabres. Hitchcock also split up McDavid and Draisaitl which led to the Oilers big second period surge. Meanwhile Phil made zero adjustments(just like he has done all year), and kept his only 3 top six forwards on the same line the entire game, despite every analytic in the book saying the offense is significantly better when Reinhart has his own line.

To top it off he split up the two D pairings that were working and kept Risto-Scandella together, again despite every analytic showing they are terrible together and should never be paired in the first place. I know Sabres fans always blame the coach but for **** sakes can we just once hire a real respected coach that other teams actually would want?? Rolston>Nolan>Bylsma>Housley is an absolute joke. Maddening

The roster isn't a playoff contender. That doesn't mean the coaching is competent.

We've seen numerous collapses, bewildering line combinations and defense pairings, decent players benched for long stretches while marginal ones are never scratched, reluctance to make in-game adjustments, obviously green players kept on the team while more deserving AHL players languish. (Some of that is on the GM, of course.)

A more experienced, capable, demanding coach could have gotten more from an admittedly weak roster.

These two posts answer your question nicely.

We know they aren't a great team, but we watch every game and Housley has yet to do a single thing well. No passion, no energy, no adjustments, no discipline, no accountability- he creates terrible lines and puts the wrong guys out there. That's it. That's what he does. This team wouldn't contend with the best coach available, but carry over the lucky ten win streak and with a competent coach we should be contending for a playoff position at least, not watching the wheels fall off at the most critical juncture.

As to the idea that we shouldn't complain because we've disliked previous coaches.. having shit weather 5 days in a row does not mean you don't get to complain about today's weather also being shit. Plenty of coaches get undue hate, but the Sabres have had a string of pretty bad coaching. I don't expect the world from the guy behind the bench, basic competency would do.

Reactions: SabresSharks

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sucks because I respect the man greatly but Tocchet. That organization is forever a scapegoat for its coach, staff, or organization. He should have just stayed in Pittsburgh. Here in a few years with more mentoring he could have taken over for Sully. Or if not replaced him moved into a different position managerially.
What are you talking about? Do you even realize he’s coaching one of the hottest teams in the league right now even through injuries? He’s nowhere close to getting fired.

Reactions: Rasmi and Kimota

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Lol what? He’s been great this season, especially given the roster and extensive injuries they have. I think it’s time you check the standings, they have a good shot at the playoffs right now.

What a bizarre and uninformed post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad