Speculation: Next captains

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
Just out of curiosity, where do Sabres fans rank Girgensons on the captaincy hierarchy? I know there was some talk last year about him being a future captain. Did his off year drop him out of the running completely?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Just out of curiosity, where do Sabres fans rank Girgensons on the captaincy hierarchy? I know there was some talk last year about him being a future captain. Did his off year drop him out of the running completely?

His role on the team isn't even really defined right now, so not very high.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't think Girgensons' season has any effect, just because of timing.

In one year Gionta will be gone and O'Reilly probably gets the "C", and Bogosian gets the "A" that ROR had (if he's still on the team anyway). Gorges keeps the other "A".

Then in two years Gorges is gone and the other "A" is up for grabs between Ristolainen, Eichel, or maybe Girgensons. Too much can happen in that time frame to even worry about it.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

He'd be a great candidate to get it next year if it wasn't for ROR. Hell, if Nolan were still here he'd probably already have it. Nolan alluded to such a couple years ago

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
C - Matt Ellis - natural born leader and fan favorite
A - Cody McCormick - fans petition and lure him back out of retirement even though there is risk...he just can't turn down wearing an "A'
A - Derek Roy - comes back to show ROR what a vocal leader in the locker room really is

sidenote: Darcy Regier ponies up for season tickets

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
It seems like ROR or Eichel should be captains based on the best player model, but I'd like to see Risto get the C. He's on the ice more than anyone else, he stays out of the box, and he doesn't seem to have a problem telling people what to do and where to go. It's one of the things I liked most about the kids this year, they came in and played like vets. You see Eichel and Risto out on important faceoffs positioning guys where they want them, and Eichel was terrible on faceoffs early on. That's what I want to see out of the leaders on the team.

That said, everyone needs to talk more during the game, every game I went to this year there was no communication during play, guys need to talk especially the goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad