Speculation: Next captains

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
He esentially dictated that Gionta was going to be captain. If you think all he has is input, you are fooling yourself. And if your boss tells you his opinion on how something should be done, it's more than just input.

Do you have a source for that?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I don't have a link off hand or time to search for it, but Murray has said that they signed Gionta to be captain.

I'm sure that's one of the main reasons Murray signed Gionta - he was the captain of the Canadiens at the time, and the team needed strong leaders like Gionta and Georges.

I don't think Murray necessarily dictated to Nolan that Gionta had to be named captain but from every report Gio's a great one and a natural so I imagine it was an easy choice. I think sometimes the coaches decide and sometimes the players vote - I don't know how it was done in Gio's case - but I imagine the end result would have been the same either way.

Ask the players now, though, and they might still pick Gionta even with ROR there but when Gionta is gone I have no doubts ROR is the next captain.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/te...-and-sabres-leadership-group-a-new-direction/

"Having served as the captain of the storied Montreal Canadiens for four seasons, Gionta’s a proven leader.

When the Sabres signed the 35-year-old winger July 1, many figured he would be the Sabres’ next captain.

'It was just one of those obvious choices when Brian signed here in the offseason,' Ted Nolan said.

Nolan joked: 'I bet you didn’t see that one coming.' "

Captains1.jpg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The surprise heading into the 14-15 season would have been if anyone other than Gionta got the C.

Murray didn't have to tell Nolan who was going to be captain. There was no other viable option. [Insert Mike Weber joke here]

Plus, let's not act like Murray's relationship with Bylsma is the same as his relationship with Nolan was.

Even if Murray told Nolan to give Gionta the C, I don't buy that he would do the same thing with Bylsma. The post-season presser about their relationship tells me that it's more one where Murray gives Bylsma input, but he allows Bylsma to make his own choices in this type of area.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I don't have a link off hand or time to search for it, but Murray has said that they signed Gionta to be captain.
If you can't provide a source, I don't have any reason to believe it was dictated by Murray.

Gio was the obvious choice regardless, so who really knows.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Thank god it isn't up to the GM or his former coach.
Doesn't really have anything to do with what I said. If he's too quiet and has even said himself he's a quiet person in the locker room then maybe he doesn't want to be captain. He dispelled the rumors himself that Landeskog getting captain didn't bother him at all and that Landeskog was a better leader than he was and it wasn't really something he ever cared about. Some guys can be very respected on ice leaders but don't want it to be anymore than that.

Murray wants him to speak up more because he wants him to become the next captain but it may not be the slam dunk we all thought it was. I think most of assumed that because of the way he played that he must have been a vocal guy in the locker room but RoR himself has said he's one of the most passive guys there is.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If you can't provide a source, I don't have any reason to believe it was dictated by Murray.

Gio was the obvious choice regardless, so who really knows.

Sorry, I don't keep every Tim Murray interview in text searchable format. If it makes you feel better to believe I am making it up, that's fine. I know, because I know he has said it.

Why would a GM let a coach unilaterally pick a captain? If things go bad with the coach and he needs to be fired, you are stuck with a choice that you, as the boss, didn't approve? It's a ridiculous notion. You better believe that decision gets the boss' approval.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Sorry, I don't keep every Tim Murray interview in text searchable format. If it makes you feel better to believe I am making it up, that's fine. I know, because I know he has said it.

Why would a GM let a coach unilaterally pick a captain? If things go bad with the coach and he needs to be fired, you are stuck with a choice that you, as the boss, didn't approve? It's a ridiculous notion. You better believe that decision gets the boss' approval.

Doesn't matter who I'm talking to. If I don't hear/see it for myself, I'm not taking it as gospel.

Letting the coach pick the captain is a perfectly reasonable thing. People do give their employees power to make their own decisions. If it's a bigger decision, sometimes the employee may just be like "Hey I'm going to make X captain" and the boss says "Ok". Yes, the boss technically has final say on everything, but if you're going down that road, then the GM must have final say on system used, line combos....

If it is really the GMs decision, then why does the coach always announce it?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'm sure Tim Murray talked about Brian Gionta's leadership and the fact that was was a captain in Montreal. stokes may be remembering that as Murray "dictating" Gionta to be captain.

Nope. The words, "we signed Gionta to be captain" came out of his mouth. It was a management decision to sign a player to be their captain.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Nope. The words, "we signed Gionta to be captain" came out of his mouth. It was a management decision to sign a player to be their captain.

I searched through a bunch of articles and transcriptions of when he was signed and when he was named Captain. I found nothing remotely close to that.

So again, I don't believe it until I see it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You don't think the GM has a major say? He does.

Major Say? Nope. Maybe a minor input. Murray isn't in the locker room with these guys. He doesn't get a first hand experience on how the guys are in the room. He may get feedback from the coach about who are the leaders are in the locker room, but to have the GM name the captain is something I don't believe happens, and no, I don't think Murray bringing in Gionta is proof that the GM names the captain. It's more proof that he needed to get valuable leadership in here and Gionta brought that better than anybody and nobody else was suited to be captain.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Doesn't really have anything to do with what I said. If he's too quiet and has even said himself he's a quiet person in the locker room then maybe he doesn't want to be captain. He dispelled the rumors himself that Landeskog getting captain didn't bother him at all and that Landeskog was a better leader than he was and it wasn't really something he ever cared about. Some guys can be very respected on ice leaders but don't want it to be anymore than that.

Murray wants him to speak up more because he wants him to become the next captain but it may not be the slam dunk we all thought it was. I think most of assumed that because of the way he played that he must have been a vocal guy in the locker room but RoR himself has said he's one of the most passive guys there is.

Judging by his interview on locker room cleanout, I think it was just a case of getting to know the guys and not wanting to over step his boundries with the current leadership core of Gionta, Gorges, and Moulson, guys who have been here. His personality also doesn't scream someone who would shy away from being captain. He's a guy who wants the pressure, who wants to be the one that shapes the identity of this team. It's not in an over-confidence way, but the way he comes off, he reminds me so much of Drury when Drury was captain in the way he carried himself and "wanted" to be in those high-pressure situations.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Even if Murray did sign Gionta to be the captain and gave him that title himself, it was before the team had a permanent head coach, so the situation is irrelevant. How Murray operated with Nolan has no bearing on how he operates now with Bylsma.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This is arguing for the sake of arguing. I mean, Murray went out and found a good leader who was a natural to be captain and Nolan made him captain and Dan re-upped him as such. There is honestly no controversy here.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He esentially dictated that Gionta was going to be captain. If you think all he has is input, you are fooling yourself. And if your boss tells you his opinion on how something should be done, it's more than just input.

Even if that were true, Murray's relationship with Nolan =/= Murray's relationship with Bylsma

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm sure Tim Murray talked about Brian Gionta's leadership and the fact that was was a captain in Montreal. stokes may be remembering that as Murray "dictating" Gionta to be captain.

Gionta was "named captain" twice.

Nolan named Gionta captain prior to the 14-15 season.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/te...-and-sabres-leadership-group-a-new-direction/

Then Bylsma decided to keep the C on Gionta prior to the 15-16 season.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-captain-brian-gionta-still-going-strong-at-36/

So, I don't think Murray told Bylsma that Gionta was the captain. If he did, then why did Bylsma make the above announcement?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad