Next captain?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I actually don’t like when a team doesn’t have one. I feel like it leaves a void. I mean Z leaving as it is leaves a void too.

Give it to Larkin. He seems like a hella mature kid. Probably more mature than me and I’m 30y/o still making... jokes on Xbox with my friends.

I also feel like it would motivate him. He reminds me more of Yzerman rather than Lidstrom or Z. So him obtaining the C early on might be better for him.

Hoping he gets it. If not run three A’s I guess. I feel like giving to Kronner would be a waste of the C. Not that he’s not a good leader, but the time span seems unsuited.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Hate it when teams don't name captains. Make Kronwall the captain for a year and then figure it out next year.
The only issue with Kronwall is that he is very likely to be just about done. Meaning he might just end up riding the bench because injuries have taken their toll.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
The only issue with Kronwall is that he is very likely to be just about done. Meaning he might just end up riding the bench because injuries have taken their toll.

It's more about Kronwall being deserving of the honor than anything else to me. The guy is all heart and just the fact that he's going to give it a go this year to me says it's the right thing to do.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
It's more about Kronwall being deserving of the honor than anything else to me. The guy is all heart and just the fact that he's going to give it a go this year to me says it's the right thing to do.

Oh absolutely, I think he certainly deserves to be in that part of history for the Wings and I would love to see him wear the C over anyone on the team right now. There is the reality that he might be in the press box all season long as well nonetheless... In that case it would be only symbolic and to a certain extent, a shame that he gets to wear it under such circumstance. Lets face it, it's highly unlikely he plays past this season, if he plays this season at all.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I can understand not having a guy wear the C this year, given the circumstances. But I fail to see why Larkin shouldn't get an A.

He's already a huge focus of the team. The team is already bad, and even if the bottom really drops out this year, it should also be the first year that guys from "the next core" provide major reinforcements in so many waves.

This season is all about Larkin and Mantha, and AA and Bertuzzi, and Rasmussen and Hronek, and (at some point) Zadina and maybe even Cholowski. Will the Nielsen's of the world provide stability and guidance? Sure. But this is THE year that, win or lose - and lose and lose and lose - the rebuild first steps off the sandbar, and a bunch of kids start to sink or swim.

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
From the 1973-74 season when Redman was named captain, the DRW had a different captain each year for 19 straight years, including Dennis Polonich, Terry Harper, Paul Woods, Red Berenson, and Errol Thompson. I like the suggestion to make Kronwall captain for 1 year though I don't know how he is in the locker room.

A list of all DRW captains: Detroit Red Wings Captains | Hockey-Reference.com

edit added Red
Thank you sir this is a fun, fun fact that I did not know and will tell my friends about it as if I discovered it myself.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Hate it when teams don't name captains. Make Kronwall the captain for a year and then figure it out next year.
There's probably a good chance Kronwall ends up on LTIR. His knees are pretty bad. Not sure what value you get from a captain who can't play anymore. I don't want Larkin to have it this year given how awful we are going to be. Let this year be a year of transition and then give it to Larkin next year when we are hopefully headed in a better direction and - fingers crossed - we have new leadership across the board.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There's probably a good chance Kronwall ends up on LTIR. His knees are pretty bad. Not sure what value you get from a captain who can't play anymore. I don't want Larkin to have it this year given how awful we are going to be. Let this year be a year of transition and then give it to Larkin next year when we are hopefully headed in a better direction and - fingers crossed - we have new leadership across the board.

Looked pretty good on the RED and WHITE game. Imo, best skating from Kronwall for many years.

Larkin will be the future captain and don't know what to do in these transition years. Zetterberg is still on the teams books, even though unavailable to play.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Give it to Kronner or any other close to end veteran. Let Steve Yzerman come in next off-season and then he gives Larkin the C.

Nice Fairy Tale and all, but really just give it to what ever player is the leader on the team - don't force it on Larkin if he's not seen as such by his teammates.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I would rather not have 3 A's, give the C to Kronwall or Larks. Abbie isn't garbage. At the 2014 IIHF World Championship, he was named team captain. He could handle the job.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
3 A's, but I would like to see Larkin get an A rather than give to another veteran dude like Nielsen.
You can see Larking emerging as the "go to" player for the media. Don't the player get to decide or at least have input? Abby seems to be popular in the clubhouse.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If they have one this year, it should be Kronwall. He was a legit #1 D, is a work horse off the ice and he retires after this season, making it easier to pass the captain to anyone maangement wants. Hes a career red wing that won a cup

I would think after one more season you can be more sure of Larkin's leadership and growth as a player and feel more comfortable giving it to him at that point. Kronwall could be out of the line up a lot this year though so not sur ehow much that should weigh into it

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
i like the idea of captain kronwall as well. It's only one season, he's been a great contributor and a well respected person. After his retirement, larkins time has come

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
At the end of the Pens game, Larks stood at the gate and fist-pumped every player coming off the ice. Sign of the "C"?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This season is likely going to be a painful one. No need to have a young guy like Larkin have that on his shoulders and be the main guy expected to answer to the media for it. By the same measure it seems silly to give a veteran like Kronwall the C for a single crappy season.

I'd prefer they stick with three alternates for a season or two and see how things shake out, with Larkin likely getting the C eventually.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I can understand not having a guy wear the C this year, given the circumstances. But I fail to see why Larkin shouldn't get an A.

He's already a huge focus of the team. The team is already bad, and even if the bottom really drops out this year, it should also be the first year that guys from "the next core" provide major reinforcements in so many waves.

This season is all about Larkin and Mantha, and AA and Bertuzzi, and Rasmussen and Hronek, and (at some point) Zadina and maybe even Cholowski. Will the Nielsen's of the world provide stability and guidance? Sure. But this is THE year that, win or lose - and lose and lose and lose - the rebuild first steps off the sandbar, and a bunch of kids start to sink or swim.

I believe Larkin was wearing the A in the preseason game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad