Next captain?

ColdToiletSeats

Jul 10, 2006
Detroit
With Z gone .... Who do you guys think the next Captain is?

I'd love to see Larkin get it.

saw this earlier... What's next for Detroit Red Wings with Henrik Zetterberg retiring?

As far as the ‘C,’ goes, the Wings are expected to go with three alternate captains for a stretch, with a new player joining Justin Abdelkader and Niklas Kronwall in wearing an “A.” Frans Nielsen is the leading candidate – he was an alternate captain with the New York Islanders, and possesses the same kind of quiet leadership quality as Zetterberg. Like Zetterberg, Nielsen does everything right on and off the ice.

More: A 'C' change in store for Red Wings: Here are six options
“I’ve talked to Jeff Blashill a little bit about it,” general manager Ken Holland said. “We’re going to go through training camp and we will make the decision as to what we do in terms of letters before the season starts.
“I’m not sure if we will have a captain or go with all assistants. We’re going to make that decision over the next three weeks.”
Dylan Larkin is also a possibility, though the team may be shy about putting such responsibility on a 22-year-old. When things get rough – and it’s likely to be another rough season and playoff miss for the Wings – it’s on the leaders to be front and center talking to reporters. With Kronwall entering the last year of his contract, it’s more likely the Wings make Larkin an alternate in 2019-20.
Larkin and Nielsen will center the top two lines, and Nielsen could take over Zetterberg’s role on one of the power play units – again, Nielsen was a power play regular in New York. Andreas Athanasiou would be a logical choice to center the third line. Newcomers such as Michael Rasmussen and Filip Zadina could provide offensive boosts.
There are three years left on the front-loaded 12-year, $73 million contract extension Zetterberg signed in January of 2009, but the Wings can place Zetterberg on long-term injured reserve and gain salary cap relief from his $6.1 million annual cap hit.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
dont really care. you can still be a team leader whether you have a c on your chest or not.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
From the 1973-74 season when Redman was named captain, the DRW had a different captain each year for 19 straight years, including Dennis Polonich, Terry Harper, Paul Woods, Red Berenson, and Errol Thompson. I like the suggestion to make Kronwall captain for 1 year though I don't know how he is in the locker room.

A list of all DRW captains: Detroit Red Wings Captains | Hockey-Reference.com

edit added Red

Last edited:
Reactions: bert2z

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'd say either no captain or give it to Kronwall. I can't imagine anyone besides Kronwall would wear the C this year.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Don't see why we shouldn't make it Larkin immediately. He's the guy you expect can rise to the pressure. Maybe it will boost his game.

If it doesn't work out, name someone else later. I don't think it's a big deal.

Reactions: Filppula

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
IMO there is no one who currently deserves it. You can give it to Larkin but the hope would be he grows into the role and always gives 100% out there and sets that mandate. Last year at times you could tell he was young and didnt give 100%.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
IMO there is no one who currently deserves it. You can give it to Larkin but the hope would be he grows into the role and always gives 100% out there and sets that mandate. Last year at times you could tell he was young and didnt give 100%.
If Larkin gets the captaincy it’s solely a Michigan boy feel good story. He has not put in enough work in the NHL to warrant that type of responsibility.Look at Toronto they have no captain as of today and they could legitimately name two players Matthews or Tavares...

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
If Larkin gets the captaincy it’s solely a Michigan boy feel good story. He has not put in enough work in the NHL to warrant that type of responsibility.Look at Toronto they have no captain as of today and they could legitimately name two players Matthews or Tavares...

Yep, I agree. He isn't ready for it right now.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah I am a big fan of no captain. I don't want it going to someone like Kronwall for one year or to Abdelkader who isn't in the same league as Yzerman, Lidstrom or Hank. Larkin probably makes sense at some point but not next year. He doesn't need that hanging over his head. The alternate captains sounds good to me.

Reactions: Vyacheslav

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Gonna be seriously angry if anyone gets a C this year. It's not the time. Kronwall is done in 1 year. Larkin is our future but he is not the same as an Yzerman young player. Abby, just lol. Roll with 3 A's this year, maybe next. Then Larkin. Done. Let the kid continue to pick his game up.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Abdelkader
latest

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They are going to run three A's. I would like Larkin to be one, but I understand why they are putting out the Nielsen narrative. We are going to be a really bad hockey team next year and I am not sure they want to make Larkin available after each game.

I think the problem with this line of thinking is no matter what they say this is Dylan Larkin's team right now to Detroit fans and just the general Detroit public. He has also always been lauded for his leadership abilities and they have sold that hard along with the local boy elements. So we expect it, he isn't going to get to duck interviews or do what they are hoping if we stink night in and night out. Even as much as the Wings control the super friends they are going to try talking to Larkin a lot, because that is what their readers want. I just I don't see why we stall slapping the A on him. Larkin always says he wants to take more ownership and leadership on the team as well when asked. I am not sure when they would promote to Captain and there is one potential possible UFA D-man that could change how we view the current leadership group, but Larkin should wear the A when the season starts in my opinion..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad