Next Captain?

KingRoy33

Sep 7, 2010
With Gionta less likely to come back and Gorges on the block, who do you think our next captain is?

Personally I think the Habs look to make Subban captain and use that as part of their negotiations. He is in the long term plans and proved during the playoffs that he is becoming a big leader on this team. Would love to see the captaincy given to PK!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Subban. No one else deserves it, aside from Carey.

If the Habs management is ready to let Subban take a leadership role, it would start with an 'A'. If he could then slowly earn the respect of the officials, he would have a chance at moving to the 'C' one day.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Markov would make the most sense. Maybe Plekanec. I'd rather they have a team vote on it though.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
With Gionta less likely to come back and Gorges on the block, who do you think our next captain is?

Personally I think the Habs look to make Subban captain and use that as part of their negotiations. He is in the long term plans and proved during the playoffs that he is becoming a big leader on this team. Would love to see the captaincy given to PK!

How does the GM
use the captaincy in negotiations?? Wouldn't it be Subban who uses it to request more money, should the Habs give it to him?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Must be the beginning of a new month, this thread is back. I guess people really like talking about this subject.
People can't even wait for our current captain to leave.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think that for this alone.....that's a good enough reason to keep Bouillon. :sarcasm:

There is actually, for me, only 2 safe possibilities....

You have to first offer it to Markov who will probably not take it. Then, since you decide to finally keep him....you go with Plekanec. Since when there's smoke, there's fire, i would not offer it to Gorges or Pacioretty.

You need a transition captain before you start thinking offering it to Gallagher, Galchenyuk or Tinordi.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I think that for this alone.....that's a good enough reason to keep Bouillon. :sarcasm:

There is actually, for me, only 2 safe possibilities....

You have to first offer it to Markov who will probably not take it. Then, since you decide to finally keep him....you go with Plekanec. Since when there's smoke, there's fire, i would not offer it to Gorges or Pacioretty.

You need a transition captain before you start thinking offering it to Gallagher, Galchenyuk or Tinordi.

I definitely agree with the bolded part.

hey

Mar 8, 2006
I would hold off on naming a captain. I would rotate the C as we did a couple of years back. From there you see you emergence as the right leader for the team.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
It will be Tomas Plekanec, no doubt about it

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I would hold off on naming a captain. I would rotate the C as we did a couple of years back. From there you see you emergence as the right leader for the team.

5 years ago they assigned 3 Alternates, no Captain.

I disagree with this, time for a New Guard appointment. Giving it to Subban would be historic.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
Whomever it is, he must be voted in by his teammates. If the MGMT or coaching staff decides they want to control the locker room by naming the captain - a practice I detest in sports - then I think it's a bit too early for PK. He's 1-3 years away from earning that status in the eyes of the organization.

One of Prust, Markov or Plekanec would be ideal until Subban is ready. If they took a vote tomorrow, I truly believe Prust would get the C. He seems universally respected and loved.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Lmao, Subban didn't even had an A last season and you think he's going to be named captain ? Markov, plekanec, gorges or prust are the candidates if gionta isn't back which sadly seems like he'll be there ...

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I love PK more than anybody, but anyone thinking he'll get the C needs to give their head a shake. There is only one candidate...Markov.

Alexander Edler*

I don't think PK's personality fits a captaincy role, and Patches is invisible in the playoffs so definitely not him either. Give it to one of the older guys for the next few years like Gorges or Pleks and let one of Tinordi or Gallagher grow into a leadership role. It's the quiet leaders like Markov and Carey that will be running this team for the next few years anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad