News Article: News & Notes XXXVI: We're not leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I honestly think it would be too difficult to make a list of the players I liked the most. A weird player that I always really liked the short time he was here was Tommy Westlund. On the other side of odd things, Ron and Rod were never really high on my list of favorites as players. Of course, I liked them and very much appreciated them as players, but they for whatever reason I liked other players better during their times.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
O'neill was a blast to watch. Him being a complete meat head doesn't change that, although I do sometimes wonder how he feels about playing his best pro hockey for the canes and being a disappointment to the leafs. If I recall correctly his brother died in a plane crash around that time and he was never the same, which also kinda allows me to overlook some of that meat headedness a little bit. An interesting guy though not one I'd want to hang out with

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
O'neill was a blast to watch. Him being a complete meat head doesn't change that, although I do sometimes wonder how he feels about playing his best pro hockey for the canes and being a disappointment to the leafs. If I recall correctly his brother died in a plane crash around that time and he was never the same, which also kinda allows me to overlook some of that meat headedness a little bit. An interesting guy though not one I'd want to hang out with
O'Neill was definitely one of my favorites and his goofiness then and now doesn't really change that. He was such a damn good goal scorer for us for a few years. The likes of which we did not have in abundance. That Finals run in 02, he was damn good in the playoffs. One of my favorite calls ever was when he won the OT game with the black eye.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
O'Neill was definitely one of my favorites and his goofiness then and now doesn't really change that. He was such a damn good goal scorer for us for a few years. The likes of which we did not have in abundance. That Finals run in 02, he was damn good in the playoffs. One of my favorite calls ever was when he won the OT game with the black eye.

The Eye of the Storm.

It's a shame. He could/should be a legendary part of this franchise's history, but he chose to distance himself from the only org he ever played well for. He made the finals with this franchise. He scored 40 goals for this team. It's too bad.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
On a random note does anyone else thing Necas could have the better career than Svech?

His defensive game is ahead of Svech's and it's evidenced by the fact that RBA uses him on the PK1 at times.

He's got better passive than Svech slightly, with a slightly worse wrister but better one timer.

He's got way better speed and acceleration while being lighter. He's a big boy though and could grow his man strength.

The main thing is I feel like he can hurt you more ways than Svech right now and could eclipse him depending on usage as soon as next season while being a good pker.

I also think he had a better PO than Svech this past season.
His defensive game isn’t anywhere near the level of Svech’s, though I do agree he could be the better player. He’s not a better shooter either. I don’t think that’s very close.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I have a top to watch list and a top names list.

Names.
RBA
Sandis Ozolinich
Bates Battaglia
Arturs Irbe
Janni Haakaanpa

To watch
RBA
Ron Francis
Aho
Aaron Ward
Eric Cole

Ozolinch's tenure here was pretty short from what I remember. He was a good player just wondering what made him one of your favorites?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Watching some Canes classics a bit ago and it rekindled my love for Oneil. I also really loved Stillman and felt he got a little underrated, at least by the people I talked to at the time.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

"He looks pretty now!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad