News Article: News & Notes XXXII: Simply Having a Wonderful Canesmas Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Wait, this song implies that the celebration of Christmas is an act of mass cannibalism against until-recent neighbors?

This is pretty much exactly what Yuletide originally meant.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Doing this in June puts me in mind to remember the Tuska Metal Festival single from several years back. They used to have every year a radio advertisement song with metalliriffic lyrics but in a completely other kind of song. Tango, reggae, a commie anthem...

In 2013 they had a Christmas song.

"The cross and the calendar is all the wrong way around..."

Every song with the chorus ending with

Why should you go there, oh why, why why ("miks, miks, miks")
You go to Tuska for cos cos cos ("siks siks siks")

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Now I'm not saying there is a direct correlation here, but don't think its been overlooked that this thread was named after one of the most god awful holiday songs of all time only a couple days before COVID was discovered and pretty much threw the planet into chaos.

I'm not saying that its @DaveG fault that the world has gone to shit over the past 4 months. But I'm also not saying that it isn't.

Didn't Dave once fall under the #HailSatin tag? Or was that another Dave... hmm.

Also, that song is awful but not the worst McCartney song. That honor goes to "Freedom" which I once had to sing when I was in a choir (when I lived in Raleigh long ago). Bad. Just bad.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus is the worst Christmas song. There I said it.
There is zero evidence that the Santa actually was the narrator kid's dad.

His daddy's out working the night to earn them bread to eat and some dude in Santa costume is at their home banging his momma against the kitchen wall while the kids are sleeping upstairs.

It's a tragedy being built up.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

His daddy's out working the night to earn them bread to eat and some dude in Santa costume is at their home banging his momma against the kitchen wall while the kids are sleeping upstairs.

...did you...see...Santa "kissing" mommy...? (not a repressed memory anymore)

Dec 30, 2013
This is pretty much exactly what Yuletide originally meant.

I don't think that's the case, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. I don't think there is any cannibalism story traditionally associated with Yule. I've read one cannibalism story involving Gryla, but that was a much later creation. I don't think that story was around until the 1700s or 1800s.

Yes. So much of what Americans think of as Christmas stems from those barbarians from the north of Europe.

I mean, pretty much every major "Christian" holiday was just stolen from pagans in order to make it easier for the pagans to convert.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Ah, that explains a LOT.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath

I saw my baby kissing Santa's beard

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't think that's the case, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. I don't think there is any cannibalism story traditionally associated with Yule. I've read one cannibalism story involving Gryla, but that was a much later creation. I don't think that story was around until the 1700s or 1800s.

Blót - Wikipedia

The sacrifice usually consisted of animals or war prisoners, in particular pigs and horses. The meat was boiled in large cooking pits with heated stones, either indoors or outdoors.

It is of course a reach to say that they would eat the blóted war prisoners too.

We are in the kind of close enough to warrant me posting nonsense territory here.

The great midwinter blót, or Jól, took place in the middle of January.[4] Freyr was the most important god at the Midwinter and autumn blót,[citation needed] and Christmas ham (the pig was for Freyr) is still a main Christmas course in parts of Scandinavia.

Jul is still what Christmas is called in Scandinavia, and Finland.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Now that I think about it, there is a clear cut all time worst, even worse than that one.

Do They Know it's Christmas? by Band Aid

An all-time condescending song

In college my band played a cover version of the Pixies cover version of the Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Head On”, which loosely has the same chord changes as Band Aid and we would finish the outro screaming “Feeeeeeed the woooooorld.....Let them know it’s Xmas time” layered over how Head On really ends.

We did this gleefully and rarely sober. As time has passed I’ve come around to thinking we gave that song exactly what it deserved.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
In college my band played a cover version of the Pixies cover version of the Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Head On”, which loosely has the same chord changes as Band Aid and we would finish the outro screaming “Feeeeeeed the woooooorld.....Let them know it’s Xmas time” layered over how Head On really ends.

We did this gleefully and rarely sober. As time has passed I’ve come around to thinking we gave that song exactly what it deserved.
I just watched the Pixies music video for this and yep... That's a perfect addition to that cover

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Panthers, NC State and Hornets have dropped CPI Security as a sponsor after CPI head Ken Gill sent an internal email, then released, about the protests currently gripping the US. I can't see it anywhere if the Hurricanes did the same.

Discuss!

Reactions: WreckingCrew

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Panthers, NC State and Hornets have dropped CPI Security as a sponsor after CPI head Ken Gill sent an internal email, then released, about the protests currently gripping the US. I can't see it anywhere if the Hurricanes did the same.

Discuss!

The Hurricanes have no ongoing partnership with CPI.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad