News Article: News & Notes XXXII: Simply Having a Wonderful Canesmas Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Random find here: Matt Reid, one of Erik Cole's old friends from Clarkson, who struggled with addiction through is career, just started a youtube series to talk about personal struggles in hockey. First guest? Erik Cole. It's a 3 hour look into Cole's life story from youth up until the 2006 cup. Really great stuff.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I remember Reid from his days in the ECHL. Fun player to watch. As for addiction, it seems to be a lot more common with minor league players for whatever reason.

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I remember Reid from his days in the ECHL. Fun player to watch. As for addiction, it seems to be a lot more common with minor league players for whatever reason.
One thing Reid says in there is that there were a lot of older guys from his town-who were the local heros to the kids- whose reputation was "he woulda made it, except he drank too much", and he points out how he also became that guy. I suspect you get it from both sides- there are guys who start to fight demons because they're riding the buses, and there are guys with the talent to play in the NHL who aren't there because the addictions are keeping them from being in the physical shape they need to be to actually play at the very top level.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Zinger’s flow! Jordan’s has returned as well.

I'm not going to lie, it took me a few minutes to figure out who the dude on the right is and then it hit me, Trocheck.

You'll have to forgive me since so far he's only played something like 6 games w/ us and there's been no live Hockey for 2 and half months. I've kind of forgotten we acquired him.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'm not going to lie, it took me a few minutes to figure out who the dude on the right is and then it hit me, Trocheck.

You'll have to forgive me since so far he's only played something like 6 games w/ us and there's been no live Hockey for 2 and half months. I've kind of forgotten we acquired him.
Yeah, took me time to figure out Trocheck as well. Nice to see him getting integrated into the team. And Dzingel isn't the best known player either. Staal and Williams are gimmies though.

Reactions: HisIceness

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Now I'm not saying there is a direct correlation here, but don't think its been overlooked that this thread was named after one of the most god awful holiday songs of all time only a couple days before COVID was discovered and pretty much threw the planet into chaos.

I'm not saying that its @DaveG fault that the world has gone to shit over the past 4 months. But I'm also not saying that it isn't.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Now I'm not saying there is a direct correlation here, but don't think its been overlooked that this thread was named after one of the most god awful holiday songs of all time only a couple days before COVID was discovered and pretty much threw the planet into chaos.

I'm not saying that its @DaveG fault that the world has gone to shit over the past 4 months. But I'm also not saying that it isn't.

That song is awesome, and you couldn't hold Sir Paul's used guitar strap.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
giphy.gif

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
back in the day my college friend group (~12-15 people, I forget how many exactly) held a March Madness bracket, with the winner getting the communal pot of spare change that we all had been accumulating. and the loser had to submit to a punishment agreed to by all the other people.

my friend Chaz came in last, and the rest of us banded together to decide on a punishment, which ended up being that Chaz had to spend an entire Saturday in his apartment playing the worst song we could think of on loop. naturally, we chose Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime, which was an obvious pick among all of us, including several musicians in moderately successful local bands, as the worst song we could think of.

we had just spent the previous holiday season constantly trolling each other by leaving recordings of it on each other's voicemail, standing outside each other's bedroom windows playing it, that sort of thing. we called it SHAWCT for short.

Chaz underwent the punishment, and when it was over he told us that all the friendly teasing about the punishment wasn't actually all that funny, and that if we instituted a punishment like that the next time, he would refuse to participate. so we dropped the punishment aspect, and only stuck to rewards from then on. so I guess you could say that song changed the course of history for our March Madness bracket (which has finally started to die out in the last few years). to say that someone got SHAWCT'd implied a situation of extreme duress, requiring tapping into one's deepest reserves of serenity and resolve.

even to this day I'll sometimes text him only the letters SHAWCT. he only recently has started to find it humorous, and even then he'll only find the whole situation he went through humorous, and will get stone-faced and say something along the lines of "seriously, fxck that song, I'm not kidding." let this be a lesson to those who would seek to downplay the horror of that song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad