News Article: News & Notes XXXII: Simply Having a Wonderful Canesmas Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Watching the Canes vs Vegas and Boston specifically makes me think they're really bad against a 1-2-2 forecheck
I have no idea whether you’re correct in your analysis, but it sounds solid, so I’m on board. Having recently read Justin Bourne’s article about “the little things” on The Athletic, this analysis makes some sense to me. What I’m unsure of in your assessment is how rare it is for the 1-2-2 to be thrown at the Canes and/or how consistently the Canes have difficulty with it. But, for sure, it seemed like CAR had consistent issue against VGK with D zone board battles along the half-wall.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Just took a look at the Facebook page. Holy hell, that place is something else right now.

Calling for heads already including RBA's on Twitter. It looks like they're starting to lose the audience a little already, too. Would love to see the revenue and market analysis going on behind the scenes re: customer retention, confidence levels, etc i.e. do vs do not make the playoffs. And, if that factors into any trade decisions, call ups, etc given our tenuous situation.

Even if we don't win a round or even a game in the playoffs, just making it again would likely help keep the enthusiasm and foundation built in place. While recent results show the org is great at marketing and promotion, win-back campaigns are such a drag and full of uncertainty in a fickle market.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Would love to see the revenue and market analysis going on behind the scenes re: customer retention, confidence levels, etc i.e. do vs do not make the playoffs.
Super-way-too early for this. If there’s one thing this fan base has established about itself, it’s its resilience.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Faulk to play first game for Blues against Hurricanes since trade from NHL.com

Defenseman acquired by St. Louis from Carolina has 13 points in 53 games

Edmundson, a second-round pick (No. 46) by the Blues in the 2011 NHL Draft, returns to the St. Louis for the first time since the trade. The defenseman helped the Blues win the Stanley Cup in 2019 for the first time in their 51-season history and has 13 points (four goals, nine assists) in 52 games this season. He will receive his Stanley Cup ring before the game.

"We came in together, we kind of started off together and just kind of bonded right off the hop," Blues defenseman Colton Parayko said of Edmundson. "We spent a lot of time together trying to figure things out, trying to get things sorted out in this league. We were partners together. He's not only a good player but a really good guy, someone you love having on your team. We were fortunate enough to come into the League together, come onto the same team and then win a championship together. Pretty special and I'm looking forward to seeing him."

Reactions: vorbis

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
They are on a 1 game losing streak. These are dire times.

I think it’s got less to do with any losing streak and more to do with the loss of a playoff spot. Columbus is red hot, Philly’s earned points in 5 straight, and Florida has won 9 of the 12 games since the new year began.

Basically, just about every bubble team is earning points at a much higher pace than we are, with little sign than either trend will be stopping anytime soon.

I think calling for anyone to be fired is ridiculous, but I do get the concern and/or panic behind it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think it’s got less to do with any losing streak and more to do with the loss of a playoff spot. Columbus is red hot, Philly’s earned points in 5 straight, and Florida has won 9 of the 12 games since the new year began.

Basically, just about every bubble team is earning points at a much higher pace than we are, with little sign than either trend will be stopping anytime soon.

I think calling for anyone to be fired is ridiculous, but I do get the concern and/or panic behind it.
Fire the idiots who designed this playoff format, maybe. Division winners and then straight points, goddamn it.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC

Sounds like a Checker may get a call up.

Sara Civ touched on that in her article in The Athletic this evening.

Civian: Rod Brind'Amour is the NHL coach of tomorrow, and I...

• Jordan Martinook is “doubtful” for Thursday. “He didn’t look too good this morning, so I’d say he’s pretty doubtful,” Brind’Amour said. On another note, everyone at Gila River Arena seems to know Martinook, and he seems just as thrilled to catch up with them. He’s exactly who you think he is.
  • Nino Niederreiter left practice early. Brind’Amour expects him to play Thursday, but there’s a chance someone is called up from Charlotte before the game regardless.

Attachments

• 2020-02-05.png
    2020-02-05.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: hblueridgegal

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
From The Hockey News: Svech getting some love and RBA talks about lines and other stuff in:
SVECHNIKOV LEADING THE WAY AS THE HURRICANES TRY TO RECREATE LAST SEASON’S MAGICAL RUN

Of his 22 goals this season, 12 of them have given the Hurricanes the lead at some point in the game and seven have put them ahead for good. That’s the highest number on the team.

As the Hurricanes chase a playoff spot and try to meet the expectations they created last year, it’s pretty clear this team is changing its complexion. No longer is its only strength its depth on defense. And while the return of Justin Williams has been a wonderful feel-good story, it seems the Hurricanes are no longer his team. Whatever the Hurricanes accomplish will be driven by their young stars, led by the likes of Svechnikov.

Reactions: vorbis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad