News & Notes XXIII: Brindy Beats the Team Into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
6x8 right now, huh? I think that'd be somewhat ahead of his comparables (say, Pastrnak at $6.66m) and into Draisaitl territory. 6x8 would be in Draisaitl territory, and many think he's overpaid despite putting up better numbers than Aho each year.

I love our sweet boy but pretending that's a steal instead of "yeah, that's about right and maybe a little high but we got the deal done so I'm cool" is, in my opinion, off base.

$6 mil 8 years. Not the other way around. Not Draisitl territory.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
8 years seems excessive, why not 6? If that's what it takes to lock up Aho, I get it, but I'm not a fan of these long contracts.

Would you be saying the same thing 6 years from now when Aho is leaving for UFA instead of being locked in for 2 more years at a cost-controlled rate?

Super long contracts are a bad idea for guys who aren't surefire stars (most UFA deals like Lucic, Backes, Eriksson, Ladd, etc.). Player's Aho's caliber should get a max-length contract. Anything else is poor asset management.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Oh wow. Duh.

Yeah $6m x 8 years would be incredible.
image.jpg

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
6x8 right now, huh? I think that'd be somewhat ahead of his comparables (say, Pastrnak at $6.66m) and into Draisaitl territory. 6x8 would be in Draisaitl territory, and many think he's overpaid despite putting up better numbers than Aho each year.

I love our sweet boy but pretending that's a steal instead of "yeah, that's about right and maybe a little high but we got the deal done so I'm cool" is, in my opinion, off base.

$6 mil 8 years. Not the other way around. Not Draisitl territory.

Oh wow. Duh.

Yeah $6m x 8 years would be incredible.

This is awesome exchange. You're awesome.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Would you be saying the same thing 6 years from now when Aho is leaving for UFA instead of being locked in for 2 more years at a cost-controlled rate?

Super long contracts are a bad idea for guys who aren't surefire stars (most UFA deals like Lucic, Backes, Eriksson, Ladd, etc.). Player's Aho's caliber should get a max-length contract. Anything else is poor asset management.

Well, I love Aho, but let's be honest, he's had one good season. I wouldn't necessarily call him a star yet, although he's trending that way.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Well, I love Aho, but let's be honest, he's had one good season. I wouldn't necessarily call him a star yet, although he's trending that way.

One way to look at it

Another way:
1) Aho was ranked as a 3rd+ round pick at the Draft
2) He then put up one of the best WJC performance of all time
3) He then finished one of the greatest U20 Finnish Elite League performances of all time and placed 2nd in MVP voting
4) He then made the NHL at 19 and has followed that up with:

GPGAPts+/-
2016-171st Half411013230
2016-172nd Half41141226-1
2017-181st Half41132033-3
2017-182nd Half371616327
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Easy to say "he's just had one good season" but if you look a bit deeper you see that Aho has been on a developmental rocket ship. Where that peaks is anyone's guess.

Besides having superstar talent, Aho has a superstar work ethic and approach. When team's say "We want to build a strong organizational culture" they are saying they want to add guys like Sebastian Aho. That is a strong reason I think the Canes would want to lock up Aho for an eternity.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
NHL network is re-airing the draft and it just really reiterated that they tried their best to avoid discussing or doing anything with Carolina or Andrei Svechnikov. Really focused on Tkachuk and Quinn’s bromance and obviously as expected Dahlin.

Sorry I know that’s random. As far as Aho, I’d be willing to take that deal at $6mil for 8.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
One way to look at it

Another way:
3) He then finished one of the greatest U20 Finnish Elite League performances of all time and placed 2nd in MVP voting

GPGAPts+/-
2016-171st Half411013230
2017-182nd Half371616327
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Easy to say "he's just had one good season" but if you look a bit deeper you see that Aho has been on a developmental rocket ship. Where that peaks is anyone's guess.

Besides having superstar talent, Aho has a superstar work ethic and approach. When team's say "We want to build a strong organizational culture" they are saying they want to add guys like Sebastian Aho. That is a strong reason I think the Canes would want to lock up Aho for an eternity.

I'm a fanboy just like everyone else. I just don't think he's reached superstar level yet, but is certainly trending that direction. My original comment about contract length is less about him, and more that I'm not a huge fan of long contracts. 8 years is a long time for a team, and player to commit to each other, especially a 20 year old. I get the strategy, and logic behind trying to lock up a player of his caliber for as long as possible, but it comes with plenty of risk too.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
NHL network is re-airing the draft and it just really reiterated that they tried their best to avoid discussing or doing anything with Carolina or Andrei Svechnikov. Really focused on Tkachuk and Quinn’s bromance and obviously as expected Dahlin.

Sorry I know that’s random. As far as Aho, I’d be willing to take that deal at $6mil for 8.

Wasn’t it TSN coverage and 3 and 4 were Montreal & Ottawa? Fans in Canada couldn’t give less of a f*** about the Canes or Svechnikov with those two teams up next.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
One way to look at it

Another way:

GPGAPts+/-
2016-171st Half411013230
2017-182nd Half371616327
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

A point of order because they take my passport away if I don't: his performance in WHC 2018 also was okay-ish.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Wasn’t it TSN coverage and 3 and 4 were Montreal & Ottawa? Fans in Canada couldn’t give less of a **** about the Canes or Svechnikov with those two teams up next.

He might be referring to the American broadcast. I recall the folks at NBCSN really playing up that trio. To be fair, it was for a good reason. Tkachuk and Hughes were the Top 2 Americans available. Not only was Dahlin one of the most hyped prospects in recent memory, but also he was to be drafted by one of the network's best markets in Buffalo; there's a reason why awful Sabres teams are on nationally as much as they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig