News & Notes XXIII: Brindy Beats the Team Into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I’d be at the opposite stance as Aho with Teravainen. Go lower cost for 2-4 years. If TT continues to pile up points with Aho, great then reward him with $$ to match the points on another short deal. 6-8 year deals should be limited to irreplaceable/cornerstone pieces (Svech, Aho, Slavin). Barring an unusual $$/term value like Pesce.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I’d be at the opposite stance as Aho with Teravainen. Go lower cost for 2-4 years. If TT continues to pile up points with Aho, great then reward him with $$ to match the points on another short deal. 6-8 year deals should be limited to irreplaceable/cornerstone pieces (Svech, Aho, Slavin). Barring an unusual $$/term value like Pesce.
I can see your point of view. Though I think Nashville's model of locking up second-tier players makes sense as well. In any case, Teravainen has shown in various settings--Liiga, AHL, international juniors--that he is a top-flight winger. I have heard quite a few folks think last season was an aberration, there is nothing in his history to suggest that.

The one point I really would challenge is that Pesce is not a cornerstone player. He was scoring quite a bit more before he was shut down this past season. I think he gets 35-points this year. He is a shutdown RD, so that type of production would make him really valuable.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Aho's game is built on intelligence not speed or a great wrister. That's why you can feel safe giving him that kind of term. I'm more worried with all the RFAs we having coming up that Aho breaks 75 - 80 points in the next year or two then asks for 8m+.

Nicolaj Ehlers is looking like a good contract at 6m. He is one of Aho's closest com parables along with Marner, Nylander who no one thinks will get less than 7m /w term.

This isn't an Alex Semin situation b/c Aho has no known baggage and isn't reliant on not getting slashed to have an effective game. Nor is it an Eric Staal 9.5m situation b/c the contract is much less of the cap % and Aho is more consistent than Staal on a nightly basis.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'll honestly be a bit disappointed if Aho doesn't score over 70 points next season. Everything points out to him blowing up sooner rather than later.

No one has scored 70 points for this team since 2012. The last time someone not named Staal scored 70 points was 2009.

Aho is great, but expecting him to be THAT guy at 21 years old is a big ask.

Edit: 70 points would be one of the 12 most productive seasons in Hurricanes history.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
No one has scored 70 points for this team since 2012. The last time someone not named Staal scored 70 points was 2009.

Aho is great, but expecting him to be THAT guy at 21 years old is a big ask.

Edit: 70 points would be one of the 12 most productive seasons in Hurricanes history.
He was just 5 points away and missed like what, 9 games? I think it's actually likely that he'll score +70

Also if Svechnikov comes as advertised and he plays with Aho, Aho will finally have a finisher to pass to.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
He was just 5 points away and missed like what, 9 games? I think it's actually likely that he'll score +70

Also if Svechnikov comes as advertised and he plays with Aho, Aho will finally have a finisher to pass to.

He missed 4 games.

Svechnikov isn’t going to play with Aho in all likelihood because he’s a rookie not ready for 1st line minutes and competition, and because he plays TT’s position.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Can't recall if it's been brought up, but in terms of Dundon spending money on the team and its facilities, we've got the first tangible taste of that as the Canes are renovating their dressing room areas during the offseason. According to that article they found that there was about 30 more feet of vertical space they had under the seating bowl so there's some talk of the next renovation potentially making it a two-floor space (unfortunately the timeline is too tight to do that this year). Offhand, anybody know of any teams that have two-floor dressing rooms?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Can't recall if it's been brought up, but in terms of Dundon spending money on the team and its facilities, we've got the first tangible taste of that as the Canes are renovating their dressing room areas during the offseason. According to that article they found that there was about 30 more feet of vertical space they had under the seating bowl so there's some talk of the next renovation potentially making it a two-floor space (unfortunately the timeline is too tight to do that this year). Offhand, anybody know of any teams that have two-floor dressing rooms?

I don’t know of any offhand. Doesn’t need to be used for the dressing room per-se. They can put the coaches offices up there so they can expand the size of the locker room itself, and the coaches can get a bigger office than my cubicle at work.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He missed 4 games.

Svechnikov isn’t going to play with Aho in all likelihood because he’s a rookie not ready for 1st line minutes and competition, and because he plays TT’s position.

At 5v5 this is true.

On the PP Svechnikov should take Lindholm's spot on the #1 unit and I could see 5-10 points being added from that alone.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Lindholm’s spot is more likely to be taken by a RH shot. Svechnikov would be best used in Aho’s trigger role in the 2nd unit currently occupied by Skinner who is brutal at it.

IMO the Canes would be far better off consolidating to an 80/20 or 70/30 PP unit like most of the rest of the league. I'm hoping and praying that "Even though we have one of the least talented teams in the league, let's just put these guys out there 50/50 and see what happens" was one of Bill Peters' many terrible deployment strategies.

Aho + TT + Svechnikov + Hamilton + Necas/Center is just astronomically better than anything they could put together on the 2nd unit. A change that would also increase Aho's points a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad