News & Notes XXIII: Brindy Beats the Team Into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
So do you guys think that Major Tom had cadet buddies Major Harry and Major Dick?

latest

Pictured

As far as whose team I imagine Williams gets the C this year and either Aho or Slavin gets it once he's ready to move on. That's how I'd dole out letters for now, but of course that's just how I see it from the armchair

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
A lot is being made of his physical “transformation”. He’s doing the work but to a certain extent age is still working against him. When you’re tall and skinny it takes time to fill out, you can force it all you want but it happens when your body is ready. I was 6’4” 185 at his age. I get it. I was playing a ton of hockey and eating everything I could get my hands on, the problem was always metabolism. The motor never stopped. For many guys it doesn’t slow down enough to gain “man weight” until your 20’s. 27-28 for me but obviously I’m not a pro athlete, early-mid 20’s seems pretty common in the NHL. Necas has a motor that never stops, you can see it in his quick feet and hands. He’s light, and that’s his gift not his flaw.

His playing weight will drop as the season goes. Showing up at 189 means probably 185 at best during the season. Even at 189 he’s a wispy fella.

I guess my real problem is why does it matter? His ideal is 190-195 which is still light, and he needs to not bulk up. His speed and agility are his gifts, bulky mass is the enemy. He needs something to absorb some hits but his success may be tied to how he avoids contact. Skinner failed for years and Aho learned. Difficult when you’re tall, but necessary when you’re paper thin.

I guess they want us to know he’s a hard worker and he’s trying to get to that minimum strength level needed to play in the NHL. To me he just needs to learn to survive and not get caught in bad ice, that’s between the ears more than biceps.

The game is obviously moving away from physical contact, which can only help him early on.

Agree. I was 6'3, 185 at 18 when I joined the Army, which was very thin although I managed to play football. I didn't gain much until I was 22, then all of a sudden I was 200, and it wasn't until joining the college Rugby team at 25 that I shot up to 220 after starting serious lifting (which I wish I had not done, tbh). You don't get your man on until your mid-late 20's

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Boy oh boy John, you know the Martinook family, all big backgammon players- I got a text from Jordan's great uncle Jimbo Martinook about a great time back in Brandon Manitoba with family, dinner and backgammon- let's see if the canes can slide their black pieces to a win tonight

This is spooky.

You should be on Canes Twitter as Fake Tripp Tracy.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Question for everyone. Whose team is it in 2021? Is Carolina identified primarily with one player (like Ovie = Caps; Gaudreau = Flames) or is it more like Nashville/Winnipeg where a team has two or more featured players?
My opinion: it will be Svechnikov's team. The kid is handsome as all get-out, has a smile that is billboard-worthy, and clearly is not afraid of having his likeness pushed in media of all types. Language may be a barrier now, but love is the international language.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Boy oh boy John, you know the Martinook family, all big backgammon players- I got a text from Jordan's great uncle Jimbo Martinook about a great time back in Brandon Manitoba with family, dinner and backgammon- let's see if the canes can slide their black pieces to a win tonight
Spooky is right. I read the first three words and Tripp’s voice popped into my head.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Let’s see what google has to say

When Sebastian Aho, 20, signs a new contract during or after the NHL season beginning in October, it is not any contract. Up to now, Aho has already hit himself in the world's toughest league league with the $ 925,000 maximum contract. Last season he was the best pointers in Carolina Hurricanes.
Among other things, he was behind the team's superstars Jordan Staal and Jeff Skinner with an annual salary of six million dollars.
- I do not really compare myself to other teammates because the power points are a sign of multiplayer co-operation success. Staal and (Teuvo) Teräväinen had good chemistry, Aho says and continues:
- I could give up that achievement, as long as it was better for the team. The team's success is the salt, and it gets the biggest kick. Of course, it's great to be successful and I lied if it did not feel good to score points and goals.
Aho's starting point for a possible extension agreement is the beginning of a low talk.
- This is the first time that I have such a right of negotiation situation. See how it goes. I have my own representatives who are trying to get a good dili. I trust them to take care of their share.
Could it be six million dollars per season and five to seven years in length?
- I do not really know. Let's see now. Now that there is no continuation line, I'm just pushing. Besides, I have a debut in the first season and the beginning of the next season is what it is for. Let's see what it will bring. There is nothing to do with this sum. It is quite possible that a continuation diary will only be made after the season, and that is the normal way to act.
Can a continuation agreement be made during the season?
- Why not? At least the rules do not rule out it.
Two through North Carolina's capital, Raleigh, have made the Kärppien kasvat good.
- New country, new culture plus language have been some great challenges. I've grown as a person and learned something new. Life is different from home in Finland, and the mother's dining table is not close. I can bear responsibility for doing my own and doing things in a foreign language. It was a challenge to the top, but now it's easier.
Aho's goals during the next season are beyond the reach of the mega agreement.
- I think we're a tougher team than last season. I think we can get to the Pleiades and beyond. The last play-off place is not what we are aiming for, but we want to be really in the bunches of jabs.
In Oulu, Aho has been practicing in the same summer with Miikka Salomäki, Markus Nutivaara, Saku Mäenalänen, Jesse Puljujärvi and Joonas Donsko with the instructions from Kärppinen Physical Counselor Samppa Jaakola.

Behind the rapids Aho leaves in the turn of August-September. The mandatory NHL season begins at the beginning of October. Then there may be a new millionaire in your pocket.
McDavid figured out contract negotiations
Edmonton Oilers striker Connor McDavid is the best player in NHL. So he gets the best salary for the whole league. The NHL's first booking of 2015 signed a follow-up agreement in July, bringing him an annual income of $ 12.5 million (EUR 10.7 million), or EUR 100 million, for the next eight years from 2019-20. The next season the pay is still "modest" $ 925,000 plus bonuses.

I went and bolder my favorite bits. Good old Joonas Donsko.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
a Finnish news item wherein Sebastian Aho appears to discuss his thoughts ahead of a contract negotiation. Sebastian Ahoa odottaa muhkea palkankorotus – ”Luotan, että he hoitavat oman osuutensa”

Key snippits from article:

"Sebastian Aho recognizes being a friend of waterways and boats."
"The team's success is the salt, and it gets the biggest kick."
"I have my own representatives who are trying to get a good dili."
"It is quite possible that a continuation diary will only be made after the season, and that is the normal way to act"
"Life is different from home in Finland, and the mother's dining table is not close"

Also: Could it be six million dollars per season and five to seven years in length?
If Aho gets signed for $6 million per year then start planning the Stanley Cup parade now.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Key snippits from article:

"Sebastian Aho recognizes being a friend of waterways and boats."
"The team's success is the salt, and it gets the biggest kick."
"I have my own representatives who are trying to get a good dili."
"It is quite possible that a continuation diary will only be made after the season, and that is the normal way to act"
"Life is different from home in Finland, and the mother's dining table is not close"

Also: Could it be six million dollars per season and five to seven years in length?
If Aho gets signed for $6 million per year then start planning the Stanley Cup parade now.

I was just about to say the exact same thing. I think 8 x 8 would be fair just like Unsustainable said above. 6 x 8 is Steve Yzerman level GMing.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
6x8 right now, huh? I think that'd be somewhat ahead of his comparables (say, Pastrnak at $6.66m) and into Draisaitl territory. 6x8 would be in Draisaitl territory, and many think he's overpaid despite putting up better numbers than Aho each year.

I love our sweet boy but pretending that's a steal instead of "yeah, that's about right and maybe a little high but we got the deal done so I'm cool" is, in my opinion, off base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad